Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Panfish regulations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Panfish regulations

This has been an ongoing issue in PA. in regards to managing our panfish fishery. This isn't a statewide restriction, but merely an individual waterway reg. There is an imposed minimum size and lower possesion limit for panfish (which crappie fall under)
    Are there other states that have restrictions on panfish? How are the restrictions set up, and do they work to improve the fishery?

The discussion seems to be centered around the issue(s) of: 1) do you set a minimum size and remove the mature fish, or 2) do you put a harvest limit in effect (and leave more fish to mature), or 3) work off a slot limit based on size and quantity.

just curious what works or doesn't work in other states?

Post Thanks / Like

In Illinois the limits are set for each different lake. As example on Lake Shelbyville the limit is 10 crappie and they have to be at least 10". This is to improve the quality,but I'm not sure that it is doing that. This year has been a difficult year for all so can not go on just this year. Seems like it goes in about a 3 year cycle good to bad and back to good. This lake experienced a large reduction in qunatity years ago because people where taking out fish that would not even make bite size. This left the number of fry for next year depleted. I have not seen a report from DNR regarding in on the water survey they may conducted. I did see a DNR boat coming off the lake that looked like the boat was equiped to do survey (shocking).
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Is Lake Shelbyville a year round panfish fishery?

That's another question we have - We have closed seasons for every warm water species during their spawning time except panfish which is open year round. I know if you shut down harvest of these fish (panfish) during their spawn it would be a good six(6) month time frame till all the species have hit their window. (perch, crappie, bluegill, etc.)

This is to improve the quality,but I'm not sure that it is doing that.
    This is what we're finding out - it's not working here either. Actually seems to have the reverse affect. I found out that bluegill can mature at will - even in their first year if spawning competition warrants it. Does anyone know if crappie can do the same, or is the maturity rate set by lifespan?

North_Ms_Crappies Guest

No regulations in Mississippi that i know of besides limit

Post Thanks / Like

The waters I fish in West Tn has length size and amounts you can keep/
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the major lakes in Missouri have a limit of 15 crappie. And Truman and Lake of the Ozarks have a 9" minum length I know others do also but I dont fish them so I cant say for sure. Mark Twain has no length limit but could use one. I believe that the length limits are a good thing, I cant see why anyone would keep a fish under 9" anyway. Not worth the time and effort to clean one... in my opinion. If you get on the rivers there is a limit of 30 crappie and no length limit. Also there is no closed season on fish, except for the bass in streams and rivers. If there was a closed season on bass for the lakes. There would be alot of pissed of trash fisherman. Tournaments start heavly in march here on lake ozarks. Its not real to see a 100+ boat bass tourne, I know that the Charger owners tournament had 325 boats for 2 days in October of this year.
    Last edited by TAE73; 12-16-2004 at 02:04 PM.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Ten inch, 30 per day , 2 creel limit here. Fall Creek Falls State Park has no size or creel limit. The only big lake i have heard of with no limit is Reelfoot. Don't know if that is true or not. The length limit went into affect here in 2002. Of course now, not telling how many I have thrown back just under 10 inches.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you guys seen a difference between the lakes with or without the restrictions on the quality of fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I think here in Kansas :D we have the very best wildlife dept. The biologist actually come on our local board and discuss what they are doing and ask what we think. We all give our suggestions and plans. They have allowed us to put in shallow cover for spawning and they have done the same. We have different regs for different plans. State wide we have a 50 fish limit. Some lakes have a 10in limit. We as a group got a petition together with about 1500 names asking to reduce the creel limits. Guess what??? Starting the 1st, 5 area lakes will be testing a 20 fish creel limit. The KWP knows that we have a resourse here that is fragil and must be regulated if we want to continually have great fisheries. We as a group also will be watching other fishers to make sure the laws are followed. I have suggested a 'slot limit' for a test lake. Put back those 11 to 13inchers for reproducing stock. As far as I know this has never been tried so, no data to see what happens. Believe me, the biologist are not in aggreement about the lower limits but are willing to try this. Work with your local wildlife dept. not against it. Now if we could get the COE to keep the lakes stable during the spawns,,, :rolleyes: ,O well, that's another story. <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes

This year at Mark Twain Lake with no length limit, for some reason all you could catch was 6" to 8" fish. It would be in the ration of 20 small fish that you caught 1 might be 9" or 10". Other lakes that have a lenght this year alot of 10" to 12" where caught.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast