Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hooks

I'm at home getting over gallbladder surgery can'nt do alot but sit here and think about fishing. So ok here it is when I'm using jigs I hook most of my crappie in the roof of the mouth too me thats a good thing. But when I'm using a minnow on a bait hook alot of the times I will hook them in the side where it is thin. So if I get some hooks like you would use if you was pouring lead and making jigs and use them for bait hooks the bait and the hook would be 90 degress of the line and maybe hook more of them in the top of the mouth? I do not know maybe I've got to much time to think and not enough to think with .
    LIFE IS TO SHORT TO FISH WITH A DEAD MINNER AND I WISH I WAS SOMEWHERE HOOKING LIP.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh, it's hard to use minnows and get the hook in their mouth as oppose to their lip. I hook my minnows in the back, towards the tail or behind the dorsal fin. It helps with the action... I think, but crappie are just finicky and they bite light sometimes. Even with jigs, I still hook'm in the lip if the bite is light.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

I have been wanting to experiment with drop shot hooks,the way you explained your situation they might be just the ticket to solve your problem they would sit 90degrees of the line and come in light wire and if there are sickle hooks in the dropshot hook i would have to think they would be an awesome set up.I hope your recovery is goin good so you can go out and experiment and let us know the results.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

when i use minnows i use this "code red" hook that has a weird bend in it. like this
    l
    l
    l
    l
    l
    J
    the "J" respresents the hook. i rarely use minnows or live bait so i don't know what that kind of hook is called, but it almost always hooks them in the top of the mouth. oh yeah, it's red colored also.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

well, my little drawing didn't work, it looks like a straight line. forget it.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Fryguy .......

Quote Originally Posted by fryguy
    well, my little drawing didn't work, it looks like a straight line. forget it.

You talking about "Tru-turn" hooks ?

You might also consider using these :

The "Standout" hook by Blakemore.

Also .... what "method" are you using ?? Are you stationary or moving ? Have you considered simply using a jighead/minnow when "tightline" fishing ?

Trolling, casting, and even jigging ... with a jig ... the hook is "horizontal" --- and the fish generally comes from underneath and behind, allowing the hookup to mostly be in the roof of the mouth.
    Tightline ... the hook hangs vertical, and the hook/minnow are on basically "slack" line (your "tight" line is between the sinker & rod tip) --- allowing the hook to lay flat/sideways, in the fish's mouth. Even when slow trolling with minnow/hook/sinker ... the hook is pointed towards the "side" (when eye socket or back hooked). Only when "lip hooked", will the hook point be in the "up" position.

........... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I like the looks of that standout hook.
    LIFE IS TO SHORT TO FISH WITH A DEAD MINNER AND I WISH I WAS SOMEWHERE HOOKING LIP.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, it is the "tru-turn" hook. i bought a bunch of them a few years ago and took them all out of the package and forgot the name. they seem to work for me. i only use minnows when i am just sitting on the dock and i happen to net some minnnows, so only when i'm lazy...i mean stationary.
    -Aldo Leopold