Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dell Computers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dell Computers

We are supposed to be getting a Dell Computer Plant here in Piedmont NC - the announcement on exactly where did not happen yesterday but they did say it would come before the end of the year - I really do want to see us get the jobs and the economic boost - but we are giving so many incentives for them to come here - over a quarter Billion dollars(thats right Billion not Million) - I am afraid we are giving away the cow to get the milk - our tobacco industry is going away - the textiles are vanishing - US Airways ain't looking good - Vegas is trying to take our furniture market - Piedmont NC has been suffering for sometime and until the Dell deal it was getting worse - some of you Tenn people might can give me more insight but I get conflicting reports that it has not brought anything great for them and some say it has really been good - Texas folks really seem to think Dell is great for them - I am confused - our state lets go of all this money for incentives and will not approve a lottery that we lose that much a year in revenue to Virgnia and South Carolina
    crap-king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Same thing here King. Dell is in Lebanon Tennessee, Wilson County. Lots of land taxes, income taxes and other taxes were forfeited for the plant to come there. But, in the agreement they had to pay x amount per hour, employ x amount and donate x amount back to the county.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad here

We have the second highest unemployment rate in TN. Lots of businesses left for South of the Border or across the ocean. What few businesses that have moved in here are basically 'slave labor" camps. People are forced to work for peanuts. The have few options if they wish to remain here. I was told it was only a recession, but after three years, I would call it a depression (in our area).
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crap-king
    We are supposed to be getting a Dell Computer Plant here in Piedmont NC - the announcement on exactly where did not happen yesterday but they did say it would come before the end of the year - I really do want to see us get the jobs and the economic boost - but we are giving so many incentives for them to come here - over a quarter Billion dollars(thats right Billion not Million) - I am afraid we are giving away the cow to get the milk - our tobacco industry is going away - the textiles are vanishing - US Airways ain't looking good - Vegas is trying to take our furniture market - Piedmont NC has been suffering for sometime and until the Dell deal it was getting worse - some of you Tenn people might can give me more insight but I get conflicting reports that it has not brought anything great for them and some say it has really been good - Texas folks really seem to think Dell is great for them - I am confused - our state lets go of all this money for incentives and will not approve a lottery that we lose that much a year in revenue to Virgnia and South Carolina
    crap-king

Hey Crap King, Knowing our wonderful state government, they probably gave away the farm just so they could say we got Dell to come to N.C..
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crap-king
    crap-king
    The state on Missouri did the same thing a number of years ago to bring Briggs & Stratton here. We have 2 plants in Missouri, Rolla & Poplar Bluff. I know of several other companies that came here because of these 2 plants just to make parts for them. Now they are the largest employer in the Rolla area with about 1000 employees.

They buy locally what they can, I know they could save money at time buying some things from wholesalers. They give back to the local area as much in the long run as what the state and local area gave them to come here. They are now building on this year at both plants. Bottom line is we keep another major company here in the US that could have went South. Still made in America. Yes they do have a plant in China but do import in to the US from that plant, 1/3 of all the engines made in Rolla are exported to china but that may change with this new China plant coming on line this past year.

And yes am employed at the Rolla plant.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Default concerns

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy
    Same thing here King. Dell is in Lebanon Tennessee, Wilson County. Lots of land taxes, income taxes and other taxes were forfeited for the plant to come there. But, in the agreement they had to pay x amount per hour, employ x amount and donate x amount back to the county.
    I have been told that alot of the jobs in TN are contracted through some hiring company and they are not paying benefits just an hourly wage to some company that makes a couple of dollars her hour off the poor working stiff because that is the only way they can get the job
    crap-king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!