Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower Unit Qeustion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lower Unit Qeustion

Hey you guys that use your boats all winter how do you keep your motor/lower unit from freezing when you pull the boat out of the water i just want to make sure before i use my boat this winter and bust somthing.

Post Thanks / Like

Just lower the motor to the lowest you can after you load it. It will drain out as you get the rest of the boat ready . I'll also suggest the you change the lower unit oil. If it is milky,,,you have water in it and you should find out where it came from such as a bad seal at the prop shaft. Hope this helps ya!! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A very common souce of water intrusion is the gaskets around the drain and vent plugs. They should be changed every time you change the oil. Very cheap insurance.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

When I pull the boat out of the water in the winter time, I lower the motor as low as I can get it to drain it and then I start it for just a second to blow the water out of the tube to keep it from freezing.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lower unit

I do that to but I was told that you should not start it out of water. I don't actually even start it just turn the motor over.
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

All that you need to do is let the water run out of the prop. Any water in the cooling system will drain out on its own.
    Also Starting a motor out of water is not good on the water pump. Does not take a lot to get the pump.
    Now not saying Richard is doing harm to his. but if you let it run 2 long its gone.
    Always use our boats all winter long and never had any problems. Well did have the steering cables freeze one time. LOL But the temp was 19 degrees when I backed it in the water. And the water splashed on them.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lower unit freeze

Always lower your motor. Most of the time the rain gets in the prop hub and then freezes. Big problem.
    Secretary of Da Fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed
    All that you need to do is let the water run out of the prop. Any water in the cooling system will drain out on its own.
    Also Starting a motor out of water is not good on the water pump. Does not take a lot to get the pump.
    Now not saying Richard is doing harm to his. but if you let it run 2 long its gone.
    Always use our boats all winter long and never had any problems. Well did have the steering cables freeze one time. LOL But the temp was 19 degrees when I backed it in the water. And the water splashed on them.
    Pete
    I don't actually run the motor while its out of the water, but I do turn it over for just a split second.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

You can pull the kill switch and turn the motor over it will blow all the water out.
    Take a kid fishing

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned above it's a good idea to lower your motor if you leave your boat outside in wintry weather or if you're not sure you drained it well when you took out.

Here's another tip - from experience (the best teacher). If you're going back out the next morning set your transom saver in the driver's seat of your tow vehicle to remind you that your motor is down. It's embarrassing to have someone pull up beside you and tell you you're dragging your motor - after you've driven about 5 miles grinding your skeg down and dinging the tips of your prop blades every time you hit an uneven spot in the road.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast