Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 1242 jon boat,

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1242 jon boat,

who makes a 12 foot jon boat with a 42 inch bottom. all answer appriecated

Post Thanks / Like

Weldbilt
    CRAPPIE fishing is not a sport, its a way of life!

Post Thanks / Like

bass pro has a Topper pretty cheap in that size and Alumacraft has one close to that size cheap too, not sure if they are exactly 42 though
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Are you fishing backwaters or wind protected bays off a main lake? Do you normally fish alone or with a buddy? If you are alone and fishing just calm waters, the boat you are thinking about is fine. However, with two anglers aboard (with all their gear) and the possibility of venturing into more open water, I'd suggest you re-think your choice. A 12' aluminum V-hull might be a better option for you. The draft on the jon boat is really shallow, so you could run into trouble even if in small white caps on a main lake. Just a suggestion.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Are you fishing backwaters or wind protected bays off a main lake? Do you normally fish alone or with a buddy? If you are alone and fishing just calm waters, the boat you are thinking about is fine. However, with two anglers aboard (with all their gear) and the possibility of venturing into more open water, I'd suggest you re-think your choice. A 12' aluminum V-hull might be a better option for you. The draft on the jon boat is really shallow, so you could run into trouble even if in small white caps on a main lake. Just a suggestion.
    I agree. The 12' aluminum V is not only a very stable little boat, but in calm waters, with even a small kicker or any decent electric, can fish three comfortably and even four if careful, requires only a light trailer, and can be launched easily and taken out by just about any single moderately healthy individual. It requires very little more draft than the jon boat and can be launched on nearly any beach you can back up to and can even be manually pushed on the light trailer to places you cannot or should not drive into. One person can also load it back onto the trailer by oneself, even with equipment and motor still in place. You can also row it a whole lot more easily than you can a jon boat.

However, if you are going to cartop it or carry it in a pickup bed, IMO you will want the lighter jon boat, although you will have to load and unload the equipment each time, which you need not do with the V on a trailer (just cover it).

You won't want to take either of them out, if there are white caps, of course, nor on any really large water. (Remember to put the drain plug in before each launch and take it out after you take the boat out of the water, and carry an extra one in the glove box.)

Post Thanks / Like

A 12-42 is the ideal boat for me, but I'm a River/bayou fisherman.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Twenty years ago i bought a 12 foot jon boat. It never got in the water. After taking a boat safety course i found a 14 footer was safer.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

If fishing alone in protected water would be fine. Fishing open water you would want something bigger and v hull. You find it more comfortable, stable, and roomy. That makes for more enjoyable trips. Will allso be able to go when you can`t in something smaller. don`t skimp on PFD, I like the auto inflate, once you get used to it you hardly know you have it on. whare it all the time every time. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

i FISH MOSTLY 99% OF THE TIME BY MY SELF. I HAVE A 1544 THAT I USE ALSO BUT SOMETIMES IT'S NICE TO HAVE A SMALLER BOAT BUT YET WIDE...