Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat Size

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Size

Hey guys I am looking to get an 18' Xpress XP180, is that big enough for big lakes and rivers?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

It should be plenty big enough. Just make sure you observe the weather and wind forecast and get off the water when it gets too rough. Size depends on # of people fishing also. I have an 1861 War Eagle Predator and I use it on the lakes along the TN river.

Post Thanks / Like

I run a 17' express on rayburn and Toledo bend....as others have said, just be aware of the weather.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of boat for where you will be fishing. It's like the other guys said, just be prudent when the weather starts getting wild. Enjoy your new boat. Get us some pics when you get it.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a good size. People take even smaller boats than that from Miami to Bimini. that's about 60 miles of ocean to cross. BTW, welcome aboard.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Plenty of boat for where you will be fishing. It's like the other guys said, just be prudent when the weather starts getting wild. Enjoy your new boat. Get us some pics when you get it.
    Looks like I will be going to Southern California in the summer for 3 years. I hope to fish the Potomac some before I go.

Post Thanks / Like

Crossin lake with a 20mph wind will make ya wet. Better than a flat bottom jon though.
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You should have plenty of boat. The mistake folks tend to make is to underpower a boat with an outboard that is not up to the task of getting and keeping a boat on plane at slow to medium speed in rough water.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

The bigger the boat the better and no matter what size boat you get if fishing big water like Toledo bend or Sam Rayburn, both here by me and I live on TB. Have fished them both since they opened in the 1960's and these lakes can get so rough it wouldn't matter if you were in a 22' big bass boat, it can get just too rough to be fun and it is dangerous.
    even wind at 15 MPH will get it up pretty good, but 20 MPH and over is better not to be on the lake.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!
    Likes Rees Guide LIKED above post