Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't get it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default I don't get it?

I love to throw jigs and it's really all I know how to do, but latley I have tried to troll for crappie with not much luck. When you guys say troll do you mean you troll with your line trailling along behind the boat like I would do if I were trolling for tuna, or do you mean spider rigging with the lines straight down?

Today I fished and caught 6, 5 of them trolling(like for tuna) and the other(the largest one) throwing a jig to structure.
    What I don't understand is why will a crappie bite a trolled jig but when I circle back to throw a jig to the very spot I pulled him from no ones at home?
    I have seen this happen all my life but mostly in the summer when the water gets hot and the crappie move out to deeper water. I have trolled back and forth to catch a crappie on every pass, but stop and throw a jig at them and it's almost like you were 100 yards away from the spot or something.
    You guys who do alot of "Trolling" what would you do in this case? I mean when you "Troll" and get bit, do you circle back for another pass or do you sit on them and try to catch them that way?

Post Thanks / Like

I have just started trolling and I move very slowly spider style keeping my lines as verticle as possible going into the wind. If I get bit and miss i let off the trolling motor and let the wind push me back hten troll over it again. I don't have rod holders i just hold two ten ft poles with the jigs tied on 20 in spacings. Hope this helps.

jbd

Post Thanks / Like

Dirk, seem's we both having same problem some days i can catching them trolling but when i get one going back with the same jig i caught one on throwing it no luck, I made me a 3 rod rod holder mounted on plywood and C-clamp it the the front seat of my jon boat when i get a crappie make a circle in 5-10 min, where i got one and get another worked for me this year, some days are slow. best luck i have is jig under a thill float hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

I love to drift when alone, fishing 2 14' poles off each side of trolling motor while casting an ultralite over the bow. Got a nice 16 incher after I tied bells on the ends of the 14' poles- improved my responce time( woke me up ). Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

I Just Troll Or Drift Along, Back And Fourth Across The Same Place That I'm Getting Hits, Like You Said When You Stop And Try To Jig Em' No Luck. But It Always Seems To Be The Fish Still Bite If I Troll Back & Fourth Over That Area. Hope That Helps

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you using a bowmount or transom trolling motor? If you're using the big motor i can see where you're having trouble getting back on them.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a bow mount trolling motor.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the same luck (none ) with both crankbaits and jigs,
    trying to stop and cast the same place - no bite.
    Have caught a few tho, when I was long-lining jigs (like tuna as you said),
    go back with one rod in hand and slow troll the area with the bow mount.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

some times while trolling i will troll into the wend and drift back over the fish . some time they will bite drifting rather than trolling . different conditions require different tecniques.crappie fishing is a guessing game . depth & speed is the 2 main things when using jigs . anything from stand still to over 1 mile per hour
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Mr White do you mean go back and slow troll by hanging some jigs straight down?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast