PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it?

Good Stuff
10-25-2006, 05:52 PM
I love to throw jigs and it's really all I know how to do, but latley I have tried to troll for crappie with not much luck. When you guys say troll do you mean you troll with your line trailling along behind the boat like I would do if I were trolling for tuna, or do you mean spider rigging with the lines straight down?

Today I fished and caught 6, 5 of them trolling(like for tuna) and the other(the largest one) throwing a jig to structure.
What I don't understand is why will a crappie bite a trolled jig but when I circle back to throw a jig to the very spot I pulled him from no ones at home?
I have seen this happen all my life but mostly in the summer when the water gets hot and the crappie move out to deeper water. I have trolled back and forth to catch a crappie on every pass, but stop and throw a jig at them and it's almost like you were 100 yards away from the spot or something.
You guys who do alot of "Trolling" what would you do in this case? I mean when you "Troll" and get bit, do you circle back for another pass or do you sit on them and try to catch them that way?

jigsbydirk
10-25-2006, 06:11 PM
I have just started trolling and I move very slowly spider style keeping my lines as verticle as possible going into the wind. If I get bit and miss i let off the trolling motor and let the wind push me back hten troll over it again. I don't have rod holders i just hold two ten ft poles with the jigs tied on 20 in spacings. Hope this helps.

jbd

Ken Kinser
10-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Dirk, seem's we both having same problem some days i can catching them trolling but when i get one going back with the same jig i caught one on throwing it no luck, I made me a 3 rod rod holder mounted on plywood and C-clamp it the the front seat of my jon boat when i get a crappie make a circle in 5-10 min, where i got one and get another worked for me this year, some days are slow. best luck i have is jig under a thill float hope this helps

blankace
10-26-2006, 03:10 AM
I love to drift when alone, fishing 2 14' poles off each side of trolling motor while casting an ultralite over the bow. Got a nice 16 incher after I tied bells on the ends of the 14' poles- improved my responce time( woke me up ). Good Luck

ETEX-JIGGER
10-26-2006, 06:55 AM
I Just Troll Or Drift Along, Back And Fourth Across The Same Place That I'm Getting Hits, Like You Said When You Stop And Try To Jig Em' No Luck. But It Always Seems To Be The Fish Still Bite If I Troll Back & Fourth Over That Area. Hope That Helps

chaunc
10-26-2006, 07:08 AM
Are you using a bowmount or transom trolling motor? If you're using the big motor i can see where you're having trouble getting back on them.

Good Stuff
10-26-2006, 08:00 AM
I use a bow mount trolling motor.

J White
10-26-2006, 09:25 AM
I've had the same luck (none :) ) with both crankbaits and jigs,
trying to stop and cast the same place - no bite.
Have caught a few tho, when I was long-lining jigs (like tuna as you said),
go back with one rod in hand and slow troll the area with the bow mount.

papasage
10-26-2006, 11:14 AM
some times while trolling i will troll into the wend and drift back over the fish . some time they will bite drifting rather than trolling . different conditions require different tecniques.crappie fishing is a guessing game . depth & speed is the 2 main things when using jigs . anything from stand still to over 1 mile per hour :eek:

Good Stuff
10-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Mr White do you mean go back and slow troll by hanging some jigs straight down?

chaunc
10-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Thats how i do it. I add a heavy splitshot a foot above my jig or minnow, drop it down to the depth of the fish and troll up-wind over the brush, then drift back across it. I did that today and hammered the slabs. All fish are 11" to 13 "s.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e253/ken_e_getem_n/IMG_0566.jpg

chaunc
10-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Forgot to mention that almost all these fish were caught with one of crappiedays microspoon and a minnow. Seriously, those things are really awesome on the crappies up here in Pa.

skiptomylu
10-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Tuna style for me. I have been trolling a jig like that for over 25 years. Best way I find in the spring for numbers and size.

It works well enough for me that I hardly ever fish any other way from Feb.-June. My freezer never runs out so I am pretty sure I am catching enough, LOL!

J White
10-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Mr White do you mean go back and slow troll by hanging some jigs straight down?

No Mr. here :D but yeah, I have run into that several times.
Catch a few out of a small area long line trolling, and try to go back
and cast it, with no luck - but sometimes pinch on a little extra weight
above, and just "ooze" around the spot dragging the jig smooth and slow
with the TM and catch a few that way. I wonder why that works?
Maybe they are following it a ways before hitting it, and casting, it gets
away from them before they make up their mind? Just a guess there.

stumpbumpers
10-27-2006, 12:43 PM
I troll to find crappie and then go back and fish the areas all the time and catch fish...

the differences between you and I are; that I use minnows for this application and time of day... occationally I do use jigs for this, but mainly minnows.

I'm trolling rivers to, so that is one difference... I troll for a while, pick up fish, mark spots, then come back and fish them. (spider rig'n, under cork, or vertical... haven't perfected my style yet)

Oh yeh, Time of day, I don't return to those spots to fish them until the evening or next morning.

I catch fish in smaller lakes the same way. This is how I always fish... Learned it from trying to find fish in places I had never been and it worked.

Now I have been trying to perfect the style to my liking on my home waters.

I say it is the easiest fishing I have found. GPS helps. Happy Fish'n

ShilohRed
10-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Is that a river with current? If so I would like to hear more on that.
As I know theres lots of nice crappie here Below Pickwick dam on the Tn river but have not worked out a way to fish the current for them.
Pete

I troll to find crappie and then go back and fish the areas all the time and catch fish...

the differences between you and I are; that I use minnows for this application and time of day... occationally I do use jigs for this, but mainly minnows.

I'm trolling rivers to, so that is one difference... I troll for a while, pick up fish, mark spots, then come back and fish them. (spider rig'n, under cork, or vertical... haven't perfected my style yet)

Oh yeh, Time of day, I don't return to those spots to fish them until the evening or next morning.

I catch fish in smaller lakes the same way. This is how I always fish... Learned it from trying to find fish in places I had never been and it worked.

Now I have been trying to perfect the style to my liking on my home waters.

I say it is the easiest fishing I have found. GPS helps. Happy Fish'n

skiptomylu
10-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Sometimes I can spend a half day in the same 100 yard stretch and keep catching fish day after day for months. As long as nothing really changes like fish stop biting for some reason (cold front for a few days) like the lake falling or the spawn ends and the move deeper. I never need to stop and go back to fish for them.

One of my first spots to try this was only about 150' long before it dropped off deeper. I could go back and forth over this spot and catch fish in several places in this path. My wife and I would average catching 60-70 crappie an hour at that spot. It was in the fall around grass, the path dropped off on both sides of my path and at the end of it. As long as I kept moving they never stopped biting. I have not been there in years, but I bet I could go there this fall and catch all I could stand.

Last spring I fished the entire spring in 3 spots and each had a different direction that protected from the wind. We caught all the fish we wanted.

All on jigs and never bought a minnow last spring and it's been like that since I moved up here about 7 or 8 years ago. A minnow never hits my boat until summer night fishing and then a jig is on the bottom of my rig as weight that also catches fish and usually the bigger fish hit the jig and leave the minnow alone.

crappie lover ken
10-27-2006, 07:41 PM
guys i have to say that you're missing th epoint of trolling usually when u troll you pick up fish that are schooling so of course if you catch one then go right back with a jip or whatever you most likely not gonna catch one. if you catch a fish trollign and you want to go back and catch one by throwing a jig move 5 to 15 ft to the right or left of where u just caught that fish. usually crappie will simply swim in a circle it just depends on which direction they are swiming clock wise or counter. once you figure that out you'll pick those fish up when you sing back. alot of times if i make several passes i'll move to the right or left several feet everytime i head back to my start point. try trolling i circles start big and work you way down till you find the fish's pattern. i bet even money you'll pick up more crappie.

stumpbumpers
10-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the tip... I've never noticed that in the rivers... they are mostly around cover and current breaks, so no moving of the school... not saying that is the case always, because I get "stumped" as to why I can catch'm there on the second go around... 90% of the time I'll catch'm when I go back.

Now open water it makes since about the swimming school, because more times than not I can only get them trolling and then spidder rigg'n the same area, but wide range...

I'll tell you what boys if we keep this up we might figure out these fish...lol

Glowgood Jigster
10-28-2006, 03:10 AM
Folks, Ken is right. (And thank you for your service Marine!), Those schools don't always stay in one place but they'll circle around the same area. I think because the minnows they're eating are doing the same thing. We have noticed this in the coves we anchor in after we get over the fish. They move away but eventually come back. If they're gone too long, we'll hunt em down again. Usually if they move for a long time, it will be into an area of shadow on the water, to get out of the sun. The bluegill will stay out in the sun all day it seems, but the crappie will be around the edge of the shadows and in the shadows. That's where the glowing jig just slays them, in that dark water.