Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonehead Braid vs mono

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bonehead Braid vs mono

I’ve tried many, many lines over the years and this line is special. My friend Glen wanted to buy some Bonehead Braid, but Josh was out of orange at the time, so he tried another popular brand and hated it. When he tied on some Bonehead orange braid this past weekend, he said, “I love it”. I would never have thought I would say that about any line, much less braid, but I love it too. Lol
    I jig fish 99% of the time, even in the dead of winter, with very light – sometimes imperceptible – bites, so I need a **straight** line with no kinks. You will not even know you have a bite with kinky or coiled mono. I can feel everything going on 100% of the time with my jig. It is awesome. Sometimes the big girls are just ‘weight’ or just a different feel.

They say a picture is worth 1,000 words… Braid vs mono

If you have ever considered trying braid, winter is the best time to really see the difference. Mono pretty much sucks in the winter with line memory. J

I had to learn a uni-to-uni knot to have some mono for backing. But after tying it five or six times, it becomes real easy. (Braid is so soft it will slip on the spools so you need some kind of backing.)

You can see the knot in the picture above where the orange braid joins the mono.

You can get a free app called “knot wars” and it will show you color coded, step by step, slow motion video of all kinds of knots. I stopped it at each step as I was learning. Works great!

Here’s another picture worth 1,000 words. These were caught this week jig fishing in 28-33’ of water on Lake O’ the Pines in East Texas. I would say 99% of the boats are using minnows, but I vertical jig. I have to have sensitivity and direct contact with the bottom and feel the bites. It is easy to tell the difference between the bar fish (yellow bass) and crappie bites, so I just shake off the bar fish and keep fishing for the crappie. J I’m also using a 7’ Bonehead rod. These were the first two fish I caught on a ~20 something degree morning, one black, one white.

Likes ehall LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

After many months of testing, you can see all my rods on the deck now have Bonehead orange braid on them. For a while, I had only one rod, then two, then half of them… now all of them. LOL
    Love that stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using 8 lb?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldyankee View Post
    Are you using 8 lb?
    12lb

http://boneheadtackle.com/products-p...ine-duplicate/

Post Thanks / Like

Is this line produced by Bonehead tackle co. or is their name just being added to a braid that is produced by one of the major line manufacturer???

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also like to know.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by polarcrafter View Post
    ... or is their name just being added to a braid that is produced by one of the major line manufacturer???
    Bingo!

Post Thanks / Like

Oddly enough, Josh designs ALL of his stuff and has it manufactured to HIS specifications. I honestly don’t know how he does it all, but I know he does. J He’s an east Texas guy with a wife and kid growing his tackle line.
    He started out carving wooden lures for fun, but then people starting wanting to buy them. Somehow that grew into a thriving Walleye and Bass lures and products. Josh sponsors some guys on the Walleye and Bass circuits. But Josh is from east Texas, Tyler, and he crappie fishes a lot, so he started making and designing his own stuff for crappie. I am in CAT (Crappie Anglers of Texas) and have been crappie fishing for over 20 years, so he asked me to help test his new crappie products beginning last year. I still remember telling him “I hate braid!!” But he said his was different, so I tried it.
    He has explained to me what he has done with a tighter weave, different fabric and especially different dyes… but I really don’t know how that stuff works.
    I just know that for me, it is the only braid I have ever liked. It is soft, limp, castable, easy to tie, -extremely- Hi Vis and has the intense sensitivity that braid is known for.

Call him and ask him what he has done to design his braid. Like I said, he is just a local guy and will always talk to you.
    I asked him one time if should post his number or his website or e-mail. He said “Phone number – I like talking to people and I’m not too good at that other stuff”.
    It’s not often you get to talk to the owner and designer of products. Maybe one day he’ll make it huge and he won’t take our calls anymore… LOL but for now, give him a call and ask him!

Josh Spain – 580-276-0768

Last edited by TexExp; 01-04-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I did some reading on it here awhile back. My understanding was that they have it made to their specs.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexExp View Post
    ... he asked me to help test his new crappie products beginning last year.
    Do you get discounts to promote his stuff?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast