Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Crappie fishing # 1

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is Crappie fishing # 1

of all the different species of fish you can fish for when is the one fish you spend the most time fishing for and why?
    do you spend most of your time fishing for Crappie?

I am thinking about spending more time fishing for Crappie. the trout fishing is to long of a drive,the walleye and Sauger fishing is mostly in the winter time and I know longer can handle the cold. the Bass lakes in my area get a lot of pressure and it is hard to catch a bass of any size and I do not like betting the banks all day long. Do you spend most of your fishing time fishing for Crappie and why? the biggest down fall is Crappie do not get that big.
    Likes VaCrappieMan LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I fish for Crappie 95% of the time. Sometimes I'll take my grandfather out and he likes to bass fish now, thats the only time I fish for anything other than crappie. Its ironic because my grandfather's fish frys are the reason I got into crappie fishing, but he is in his eighties now and isnt up for the hour and a half drive to the closest good crappie lake anymore and he isnt comfortable on big water anymore so we go to this little state park lake about 20 minutes from his house. It has crappie in it but not any good size or numbers. Reason I fish for crappie is I like to eat what I catch.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. It is first in my book
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I crappie fish dec to mar then bass fish apr and may. Skip the summer (to hot and to many people) then bass fish again sep to nov. Not a serious bass fisherman though. Still use spinning rods, just go out and mess around. Probably gonna try more crappie fishing now I have better electronics to help me find them. I do love top water bass fishing though!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by usafret99 View Post
    I crappie fish dec to mar then bass fish apr and may. Skip the summer (to hot and to many people) then bass fish again sep to nov. Not a serious bass fisherman though. Still use spinning rods, just go out and mess around. Probably gonna try more crappie fishing now I have better electronics to help me find them. I do love top water bass fishing though!

if your not crappie fishing in the middle of the summer you are missing out!
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petewv View Post
    of all the different species of fish you can fish for when is the one fish you spend the most time fishing for and why?
    do you spend most of your time fishing for Crappie?

I am thinking about spending more time fishing for Crappie. the trout fishing is to long of a drive,the walleye and Sauger fishing is mostly in the winter time and I know longer can handle the cold. the Bass lakes in my area get a lot of pressure and it is hard to catch a bass of any size and I do not like betting the banks all day long. Do you spend most of your fishing time fishing for Crappie and why? the biggest down fall is Crappie do not get that big.
    I have to say that, for me, Crappie fishing has been #1 for most of my life. I was basically started on this road by my Grandparents, whom I lived with from age 10 to when I went into the military. Crappie & White Bass were their main pursuits, thus they became mine. My teenage friends & I ventured into Bass fishing & even some Bass tournaments through my early 20's ... but I never really gave up Crappie fishing. As I proceeded into & through my 30's & 40's, I gradually shifted back to doing more Crappie fishing & less Bass fishing, to the point where Crappie are pursued at a 10:1 ratio over any other species. That's held true through my 50's & into my mid 60's ... and I don't see that trend changing.

While Crappie don't get as big as some other fish, the creel limits are way higher & the length limits are way lower ... allowing for more possibilities of taking home a sizable amount of good eating. And if you want to make more "sport" out of it, match your equipment & line test to match the normal size of the Crappie you can expect to catch from whatever waters you fish. If you look at my avatar, you'll see me holding a ~2.75lb Crappie which was caught using a 5' UL rod & 4lb test mono. The fish was hooked & brought into the boat from 10' of water, off a rock shelf that's very close to a submerged tree & a 2 boat slip private dock.

That's not to say that Crappie are the only fish that I've caught using this lite equipment, either. I've caught & landed (& released) Largemouth Bass to 6lbs, Smallmouth Bass to 4lbs, and even a Tiger Muskie at 12lbs (mounted)... along with several good sized Hybrid Stripers & Catfish. You just never know what is going to bite on your bait !!

While I have eaten my share of other fish species, I have & still do prefer to eat Crappie over any of them.

... cp
    Likes fishervet LIKED above post

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For the last 15 years have fished for nothing but crappie 100 % of time.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    if your not crappie fishing in the middle of the summer you are missing out!
    I dont have a clue how to catch crappie in the summer unless its at night with lights

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie fishing is #1 with me.
    THE Nimrod Kid

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

There are other kinds of fish?
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.
    Likes fishervet LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast