PDA

View Full Version : Is Crappie fishing # 1

petewv
01-03-2014, 12:20 PM
of all the different species of fish you can fish for when is the one fish you spend the most time fishing for and why?
do you spend most of your time fishing for Crappie?

I am thinking about spending more time fishing for Crappie. the trout fishing is to long of a drive,the walleye and Sauger fishing is mostly in the winter time and I know longer can handle the cold. the Bass lakes in my area get a lot of pressure and it is hard to catch a bass of any size and I do not like betting the banks all day long. Do you spend most of your fishing time fishing for Crappie and why? the biggest down fall is Crappie do not get that big.

BigKyd
01-03-2014, 01:58 PM
I fish for Crappie 95% of the time. Sometimes I'll take my grandfather out and he likes to bass fish now, thats the only time I fish for anything other than crappie. Its ironic because my grandfather's fish frys are the reason I got into crappie fishing, but he is in his eighties now and isnt up for the hour and a half drive to the closest good crappie lake anymore and he isnt comfortable on big water anymore so we go to this little state park lake about 20 minutes from his house. It has crappie in it but not any good size or numbers. Reason I fish for crappie is I like to eat what I catch.

shipahoy41
01-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Welcome from Alabama. It is first in my book

usafret99
01-03-2014, 02:10 PM
I crappie fish dec to mar then bass fish apr and may. Skip the summer (to hot and to many people) then bass fish again sep to nov. Not a serious bass fisherman though. Still use spinning rods, just go out and mess around. Probably gonna try more crappie fishing now I have better electronics to help me find them. I do love top water bass fishing though!

Big Smooth
01-03-2014, 02:12 PM
I crappie fish dec to mar then bass fish apr and may. Skip the summer (to hot and to many people) then bass fish again sep to nov. Not a serious bass fisherman though. Still use spinning rods, just go out and mess around. Probably gonna try more crappie fishing now I have better electronics to help me find them. I do love top water bass fishing though!

if your not crappie fishing in the middle of the summer you are missing out!

CrappiePappy
01-03-2014, 02:41 PM
of all the different species of fish you can fish for when is the one fish you spend the most time fishing for and why?
do you spend most of your time fishing for Crappie?

I am thinking about spending more time fishing for Crappie. the trout fishing is to long of a drive,the walleye and Sauger fishing is mostly in the winter time and I know longer can handle the cold. the Bass lakes in my area get a lot of pressure and it is hard to catch a bass of any size and I do not like betting the banks all day long. Do you spend most of your fishing time fishing for Crappie and why? the biggest down fall is Crappie do not get that big.

I have to say that, for me, Crappie fishing has been #1 for most of my life. I was basically started on this road by my Grandparents, whom I lived with from age 10 to when I went into the military. Crappie & White Bass were their main pursuits, thus they became mine. My teenage friends & I ventured into Bass fishing & even some Bass tournaments through my early 20's ... but I never really gave up Crappie fishing. As I proceeded into & through my 30's & 40's, I gradually shifted back to doing more Crappie fishing & less Bass fishing, to the point where Crappie are pursued at a 10:1 ratio over any other species. That's held true through my 50's & into my mid 60's ... and I don't see that trend changing.

While Crappie don't get as big as some other fish, the creel limits are way higher & the length limits are way lower ... allowing for more possibilities of taking home a sizable amount of good eating. And if you want to make more "sport" out of it, match your equipment & line test to match the normal size of the Crappie you can expect to catch from whatever waters you fish. If you look at my avatar, you'll see me holding a ~2.75lb Crappie which was caught using a 5' UL rod & 4lb test mono. The fish was hooked & brought into the boat from 10' of water, off a rock shelf that's very close to a submerged tree & a 2 boat slip private dock.

That's not to say that Crappie are the only fish that I've caught using this lite equipment, either. I've caught & landed (& released) Largemouth Bass to 6lbs, Smallmouth Bass to 4lbs, and even a Tiger Muskie at 12lbs (mounted)... along with several good sized Hybrid Stripers & Catfish. You just never know what is going to bite on your bait !!

While I have eaten my share of other fish species, I have & still do prefer to eat Crappie over any of them.

... cp :kewl

RogerA
01-03-2014, 04:40 PM
For the last 15 years have fished for nothing but crappie 100 % of time.

usafret99
01-03-2014, 05:00 PM
if your not crappie fishing in the middle of the summer you are missing out!

I dont have a clue how to catch crappie in the summer unless its at night with lights

Harold
01-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Crappie fishing is #1 with me.

RCC
01-03-2014, 06:24 PM
There are other kinds of fish?

clfarms1
01-03-2014, 06:31 PM
I dont have a clue how to catch crappie in the summer unless its at night with lights

You can catch them the same way that you catch them the other times of year. Most likely they are just going to be deeper for one thing and a little more spread out. But they didnt pack up and go north for the summer.

snake River
01-03-2014, 06:37 PM
that is all I fish for over 50 years fishing for them okay so I just told a lie to fish for smallmouth bass and largemouth little bit but most of all crappie number one.

Luvfatslabs
01-03-2014, 06:45 PM
100% crappie fisherman

bowhunter012463
01-03-2014, 07:46 PM
I started out as most youngsters fishing for gills cause they are plentiful and lots of fun. Then as I got older it was for catfish because is wasn't much work and you could enjoy a cold beverage and kick back and wait on a hit. Then all of a sudden I got bit by the crappie bug and havn't looked back. I still have lots to learn about this sport but thanks to all of my C.C family on here I am catching my share.

usafret99
01-03-2014, 08:16 PM
You can catch them the same way that you catch them the other times of year. Most likely they are just going to be deeper for one thing and a little more spread out. But they didnt pack up and go north for the summer.

Maybe so but I never see anyone long lining when I'm bass fishing. I've tried in sept and oct and have never caught a single crappie. But now that I have electronics that I believe in I'm gonna Try more often.

Big Smooth
01-03-2014, 08:21 PM

Pulling crankbaits in 90+ temps

Big Smooth
01-03-2014, 08:23 PM

Or or just spider rig minners.

keeferfish
01-03-2014, 08:30 PM
What is this crappie fish you speak of?

NIMROD
01-03-2014, 10:48 PM
I love vertical jigging and usually catch Crappie all year round. Can be exciting using light tackle! I have caught lots of Catfish (Channels , Blues,Flatheads) , Gar (up to 4-1/2 ' long ), Buffalo , Carp , Drum ( up to 23 lbs ) ,and Bass ( Large Mouth over 5 lbs ) (White and Stripers ) just never know what else will hit a jig.