Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long lining poles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long lining poles

Anyone long line with 16' poles. Was thinking of going 16 12 8 & 4 foot up front what ya think. I've never used anything bigger than 12.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 14s, gives good separation. As long as there a little on the stiff side should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

16 works fine.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to get some pics of mine when it's working cause it works well for me. I longline cranks with 2 each in 8', 10', and 12' Bnm BGJP. The 12's go 90* to the boat amidships and the next a few degrees back and the next a few degrees more. Three rods out each side will keep you busy by yourself. This spring I will tie the jigs on and keep everyone posted. I just didn't want to get into 3 piece poles, probably holding myself back with that line of thought though. Got 30+ rods now, gonna have to add on if I keep it up.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

12ft, 8ft, 5ft is my line up

Post Thanks / Like

How do you long line off the front of the boat with a four foot rod?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Use a Lund tyee with folbe rod holders on the track system provided with boat. Run out the sides starting with 12ft then move closure to stern with shorter rods. Run Ipilot for trolling motor system and move on down the lake

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you explained. I use Hi-Tek holders behind the front seat(post out and seat low) and face backwards. The 8' are as short as I can use and still turn around. 4' would be an issue.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

16ft Crappie Maxx Tightlines would work great or a 16ft BnM Prostaff Trolling Rod. I would ditch the 4 footers and run (2) 8fts out the back just inside the outside corners of the back of the boat on each side of the outboard,even though your sitting up front.That would still give you 8 total rods to fish. Lock your reels back behind the rod holders in the back so you will not lose a rod combo and loosen the drag because they will shoot out like torpedoes if you don't. The better way is to sit in the back with the arrangement just described that way your lines will not be running under the boat on turns or windy days. Now to the best way to run it is to sit in the back put a 16 and a 12 on each side and (4) 8 fts out the back. This would cut tangles out dramatically. I love that setup, and with it you have proper gaps. If gaps are too close you will you catch more fish with more rods, but in the process work yourself to death with reties because of tangling, when stripers,hybrids,catfish,gar hit or snagging on timber
    Last edited by Countrytime; 01-04-2014 at 04:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 5' now. Have to get up most of the time to go to back of boat to bring them in. Do catch a lot of my fishon hem for one reason.