Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: georgia giant

Post Thanks / Like

Default georgia giant

5-Pound Georgia Giant Hybrid

History of the Georgia Giant Hybrid Bream:

Ken Holyoak, president of Ken's Fish Hatchery and Fish Farm, Inc. in Alapaha Georgia, spent 10 years developing the fastest growing bream in the world. This Hybrid grows 300% faster than regular bream and can grow up to 5 pounds and 3 ½ inches thick. If Ken's plan is followed the Georgia Giant Hybrid Bream will grow as big in six months as most bream will in twenty-four months.

The Georgia Giant is so outstanding that it is registered in the United States Patent Office. Ken's Fish Hatchery and Farms, Inc. is the only producer of the Georgia Giant in the world. The world record Georgia Giant Hybrid Bream was sold to Danny Wright of Coffee County, Georgia, 20 years ago. The fish was caught by Kenneth Carver of Douglas, Georgia.

Millions of these Georgia Giant Hybrid Bream have been stocked in lakes and ponds across the United States.

just imagine if they could make a crappie that could hit 6 to 7 pounds, if they can make a bream that will hit 5 pounds in 3 years maybe they could make us a 10 lb. crappie lol that would be a slab for sure...2 crappie and get 15 lbs of filets omg how awesome lol

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure would love that from a fisherman's perspective, but I doubt that a 10 lb crappie would taste as good as a 1 lb crappie. I know that if the conditions are right - super clear clean and cold water that a 10 lb walleye is every bit as good as a 2 lb walleye, but in most lakes the 2 lb walleye is going to be a better tasting fish. Still, just think of 5 lb crappies as normal. What fun that would be.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe, maybe not on the taste. I'd like to be the one judge that contest. I guess this would be the thread to reveal my perpetual dream. At least once or twice a week (haunting me with no end) I dream about catching a crappie the size of a small Halibut, ya know about the size of a basketball backboard. I know it's just a dream to me but it's a reality to my wife every time I try to stuff my thumb in her mouth at 2 or 3:00 a.m. screaming like Mike about a new state record.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I had someone tell me about this and looked for the info on the Internet, but didn't look real hard and forgot about it.

10 pound crappie is more than I can imagine. Maybe there is something to be said for natural?

Still like to see and catch one.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris
    Maybe, maybe not on the taste. I'd like to be the one judge that contest. I guess this would be the thread to reveal my perpetual dream. At least once or twice a week (haunting me with no end) I dream about catching a crappie the size of a small Halibut, ya know about the size of a basketball backboard. I know it's just a dream to me but it's a reality to my wife every time I try to stuff my thumb in her mouth at 2 or 3:00 a.m. screaming like Mike about a new state record.
    O my gosh thats funny! Just imagining someone doing that is hillarious! Thanks for the laugh!
    greenwoodpittbulls.com
    greenwood360.com

Taking pictures keeps me insane!

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that Giant Bream hatchery the same place that HOGZILLA, the giant wild hog come from? I seem to remember that that giant hog was somehow eating the special feed they were giving to the bream in those ponds. Them special ingredients puffs up the porkers.
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I've had first hand knowledge on the growth and habits of the Georgia Giant bream and it's a "catch 22" situation....they do grow fast (very fast) and are aggressive eaters and you can actually catch nice eating sized fish the first summer you put them in a pond...However, they are a "hybrid" and we all know that when you breed hybrids you don't get the same thing back as you started with and the size really goes downhill quickly!!!! Before you know it you've got a pond full of green sunfish about 2 fingers wide...which is great.......... if you need a lot of flathead bait!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Most hybrids are like mules and can't reproduce.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Georgia Giants

Are not like most hybirds as they CAN REPRODUCE. I do agree that they do not get back to the orginal size and you can end up with a pond full of small ones.
    My neighbor had stocked them in his pond about 2 years ago and they had caught some about 2 pounds after the first year. There were several eating size fish after 2 years but there was also alot of small ones.
    The pond was great fishing until he got in trouble with the law. I think we he found out he was losing everything he poisioned the fish because I use to be able to go over and catch all I wanted to but now (after new neighbor bought place and gave me permission to fish) I can't even get a bite!
    The new neighbor told me that the old one had flooded the house when he found out that he was losing the house! I don't understand some people!
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!