Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rack

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rack

I have a couple of questions. Would someone give me a good idea for a drying rack? I don't want to hang my jigs upside down and get the cone effect that I get with vinyl. Also, can you apply vinyl over powder paint? Thought I might try to dress a few jigs up a little with vinyl paint over powder thin dip in clear. Finally, do you guys spinkle glitter onto the clear after the jigs have been dipped? Curious about the glitter process. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Can't answer about the vinyl over PP, but I have three, 2 ounce containers set up that I have three different colors of glitter mixed in. The first glitter/ clear I mixed up was too heavy with glitter so I had to cut it with more clear to get it balanced out the way I wanted it. I mix mine now at about 6:1. But that's just me. Others with more experience probably have even a better mix ratio.

Post Thanks / Like

TJ Tackle is where a lot of us get fluid beds. I went with 3". 4 tablespoons is the base and then you can add glitter but be careful the glitter is heavy. The other method you see is called tapping. Have a small container of glitter and with a very small brush you have on the brush tap over the warm jig. Small toaster oven from Walmart is how I bake my jigs at 350 for 12 to 15mins. I then let them dry on the racks. I can shove about 75 to 100 jigs between the two racks.

Post Thanks / Like

Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my homemade rack. Used the pan that came with the oven to build this on. Place the jigs, tighten up the wingnut and turn the jigs up then tighten the outside wingnut.

Name:  drying rack 002.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  47.9 KB
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4
    Likes BumpBump, jackie53 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot of washers, but a good idea. After I got some experience powder painting, I rarely get cone heads. U When I do, I know it's case I didn't have my powder fluffy. I'd get a fluid bed if I painted any more than I do. I think that would help.
    J
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

This is the rack that I use to hang stuff on either I am waiting on powder paint to dry or when I am waiting for vinyl paint to dry. I also use it hang jigs on as I complete them. Another thing you may want to look at if you are only doing a couple of jigs is a piece of cork from a wine bottle or something like that. I use the cork for when I tie flies.

Name:  DSCF4226.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  55.4 KB

The "Rack" is actually made out of two different pieces that are zip-tied together. The bottom piece is just a shallow wire basket that you might find at a garage sale. The top of it is a shower caddy that is made to hold soup, shampoo, and and a couple of wash clothes. I have both of them upside down and zip-tied together. It seems to work pretty well. It is basically two things that my wife had found at a garage sale that she was about to throw out. I grabbed them and re-purposed them.

Hope this helps,

Bobo

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgriHawg View Post
    That's a lot of washers, but a good idea. After I got some experience powder painting, I rarely get cone heads. U When I do, I know it's case I didn't have my powder fluffy. I'd get a fluid bed if I painted any more than I do. I think that would help.
    Yes there are 100 washers on each rod. I buy them by the box of 100, I think I paid around $5 a box. On a 1/16 round head I need 5 washers between the jigs to keep them separated so the heads doesn't touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STUMP HUNTER View Post
    This is my homemade rack. Used the pan that came with the oven to build this on. Place the jigs, tighten up the wingnut and turn the jigs up then tighten the outside wingnut.

Name:  drying rack 002.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  47.9 KB

How many heads on average do you think you can get on that tray set up?

Bobo

Post Thanks / Like

On the 1/16 - 150
    Likes Bobo Greybeard LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast