Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling motor install questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motor install questions.

Bought a Minn-Kota maxxum 24v / 70lb / var speed for my bass boat. I've replaced trolling motors in the past on my other boats but my current boat is the first fiberglass and first bass boat I've ever owned. I've always owned deep v tin boats in the past and have had anything from I pilots, hand tiller steer, to cable steer ft control. My question is this.............any one have any tips/tricks on the install , Also any products ( ie isolator bolts / minn kota quick nuts / mounts etc ) that would make the install easier/better. I'm taking a 24v trolling motor off of it so the wiring and batteries are all ready there, just wanting to be sure I don't make a silly mistake working with fiberglass. It's a 1995 stratos 278 DC if that makes any difference. Thanks for any input.

JGJ

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I just use stainless bolts that are about 1 inch longer than needed to clear all the layers of deck. I then double up LARGE fender washers on the underside of the bolt and double nut all the bolts with the last nut being a nylon insert lock nut.

You should have a front access panel that will allow you to lay on the front deck and reach any of the areas the bolts will need to be. Test fit your motor to several different areas and make sure you have access to the underside of each before doing any drilling.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes satdoc1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

what kind of motor is on there now?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    I just use stainless bolts that are about 1 inch longer than needed to clear all the layers of deck. I then double up LARGE fender washers on the underside of the bolt and double nut all the bolts with the last nut being a nylon insert lock nut.

You should have a front access panel that will allow you to lay on the front deck and reach any of the areas the bolts will need to be. Test fit your motor to several different areas and make sure you have access to the underside of each before doing any drilling.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect , thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clfarms1 View Post
    what kind of motor is on there now?
    A older motor guide ...... Not real sure of the model honestly...... But it's very "klunky" and started struggling this fall..... It was on the short list of things to do when I bought the boat..... Was glad to get a season out of it so I could save some cabbage for a new one

Post Thanks / Like

I put fender washers on the inside of the hull, and they also make rubber isolators to reduce shock on the fiberglass
    Likes satdoc1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You could also use a cheapo cutting board from wally world as the backer support underneath the deck to add a bit of support if needed, and suggest you use nylock nuts so things don't work loose over time.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All good info. I used stainless hardware with nylon lock nuts, rubber washers between the TM and the hull, and plan on retightening these as use will create just the slightest movement. A little turns into a lot left unattended. You might put down some traction pad to protect the hull before the TM instead of washers, just another option.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around