Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie question!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie question!

(pun not intended) hey, i've been fishing crappie for a year and always get these small nibbles. I just ignore them & wait for the big bite. I don't know if I should pull back my rod at that time or if I should. Please help!
    GONE FISHIN'
    13 Year old CRAPPIE LOVER

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of times crappie will bite real lite. Sometimes you will just see slack in your line. Or it may move sideways. When I am crappie fishing I will set the hook on these. My motto is when in doubt jerk em out. I have caught many crappie when there was very little sign of a bite.
    The only thing better than a day of fishing.Is a week of fishing.
    Likes ChrisEagle LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

that's why a lot of people like HI-VIS line, easier to see the lite bite.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Hook sets are free.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

there are times when you need to just keep reeling and they will come back and load your rod if not too stiff,but again most time set the hook,when you get better you will know the different in the bite,but if you set the hook and miss it then throw back quickly and before you tell your partner you had a bite
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Also if you are using a bobber sometimes it will come up instead of down. Set the hook.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Alot of good info has already been given. I know while using a underwater camera and watching my jig the crappie would ease in and look at the jig. I would watch him suck in the jig and spit it out just as fast before I could ever react to what I just saw. If I was not watching it on the screen I would have never known it by the line or rod tip.

If your line is doing something different than before...set the hook. The reason I say line is due to the winter bite spoke of above / lite /lite/lite at times. X2 on the hi-vis line

Post Thanks / Like

When casting or tightlining, if I feel something different, I set the hook. I've kicked myself many a times because I wasn't sure and by the time I did, my lure was already spit out. Many years ago, a buddy an I were fishing with jigs under a float and kept missing fish as they started taking it under. We finally waited until the float was completely under water a couple of inches before setting the hook and that's when we started catching fish.

I love the thump a crappie gives but love catching the light biters too. You need a sensitive rod and line to improve your odds of catching those. You might consider tipping with crappie nibbles to get them to hold the bait a little longer.

Post Thanks / Like

ChrisEagle,
    I hope you haven't missed some citation size crappie!LOL Some of my biggest fish have taking my lure as if they were tiny fish but once they realize they are hooked hold on!
    Keep some for the pan, let the larger ones go back for another day!
    Tight Lines!

~Big D

Post Thanks / Like

Guess that I take the road less travelled!! Instead of setting the hook at the least little peck during the light bite, I drop the tip of my pole about a foot and then after a half-beat give it a light hook set. Many times when using jigs with stingers, this will give a good set deep in the top of the mouth. Works better for me than just striking immediately. I think the crappie are just nipping the lure on tail and then will hit it on the free fall.
    I DO MY BEST PROOFREADING RIGHT AFTER I HIT THE "SUBMIT" BUTON

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast