Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: jig head

Post Thanks / Like

Default jig head

I have some garland 2" baby shad lures, what make & size jig head is best to use with this type bait?

thank you for any help charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Charlie it really depends on a lot of factors. How fast you want the jig to sink, what is the current like, are you fishing in brush, ect ..

I have a plastic maker that uses my minnow heads on a 2 1/2" bait that he makes. I was using them on a baby shad style bait the other day and had good luck. On the same note though, a lot of guys using round ball heads were having just as good if not better luck.

Bobo

Post Thanks / Like

I like a 1/16 round head no collar hook. Sometimes I may use a 1/8 ounce head but again, its a round head with no collar. Invest in some super glue to, a small little drop and your bait will stay on for a long time. I get my hooks from Crazy Angler tackle www.crazyanglertackle.com and its $7.70 per 100 hooks. Also have some awesome baits called Slab Bandits. You should check them out. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are a fan of painted jig heads, check out www.crappiepro.com they have some of the best and sharpest hooks around, but the price is a lot higher.

Post Thanks / Like

1/16th or 1/32 jigheads with a collar for casting with 4-6 lb. test. 1/8th oz. for tightlining. (fishing straight down)

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlie mo View Post
    I have some garland 2" baby shad lures, what make & size jig head is best to use with this type bait?

thank you for any help charlie
    If you're mostly a jig caster, like me, and you fish wood cover a lot, as I mostly do .... then you might want to have some 1/32oz & 1/16oz weedless jigheads. I get mine custom made by a member known as Grousefly ( Paul Mullins - P&S Custom Tackle - Vicco, Ky ).

Here's a photo of the two main ones I use - the brush guard style & Y guard style with a gold #2 Aberdeen hook :

But he can also make them in various other styles, as shown in this picture :

Name:  50108_006.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  127.4 KB

You can choose from multiple hook colors & weedguard colors, and hook sizes & styles, as well as jighead weights & styles. He also makes hand tied jigs, and various other baits. He can custom paint the heads, if you want them painted.

You can contact him by PM from this site ... Grousefly;
    By Phone - 6066423167
    By Email - [email protected]

I've been a satisfied customer of his for over 10 years.

... cp