Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Crappie Help please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ice Crappie Help please

I am currently focusing all of my efforts on a 12-15 acre private lake in IL near the iowa line. From 1st ice all the way until last Sunday I was rippin lips on some nice slabs and big bass. A cold front and about 3-4" of snow came in and i cant get a bite. Im using an FL18 and watching the crappie come up to my bait, sniff and LEAVE every time. I am marking fish all over the lake! No takers .. I've tried spoons big to small, finesse plastics, glow in the dark, minnows/waxys/spikes ... Slow subtle presentation to fast. Any advice would be appreciated. I know the crappie are plentiful in this very small lake (around 30ft, spring fed, clear and steep drop offs.) It was dug out for fill to build the interstate. Please let me know if you can help me decide what may be going on. Thanks!

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a mystery. Maybe change the time of day you are fishing. I'v heard of the winter doldrum when they just don't seem to bite. I bet they will pick up in Feb to ice out. Maybe short hours of daylight have something to do with it. Let us know if you figure it out.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barrelslime View Post
    That's a mystery. Maybe change the time of day you are fishing. I'v heard of the winter doldrum when they just don't seem to bite. I bet they will pick up in Feb to ice out. Maybe short hours of daylight have something to do with it. Let us know if you figure it out.
    Thank You. I'll just try going out around 830-930 tonight & see what happens!
    Likes VaCrappieMan LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hello ....Down size your line to two lbs test at least. Try and leave some slush in the hole because they are looking up and can see movement real easy. Try one our two maggots on a size 12 rat fink. Slow way down and keep your bait above them a little. Try a diamond jig,gold our silver,size 10 with a white, pink our purple sliver of plastic type bait. Good luck. STEVE
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Bassbull has it...also change from a vertical to horizontal lure. I run only 2lb test which does make a difference. On your spoons jig them up and watch on the vexilar. If there are coming up "you can move them a foot and they follow" stick on them. Also on your spoons tie a #10 hook about 6" up the line with a palamor take tag in back threw the eye and complete loop knot for spoon. Also I will add one or two more split rings to the treble on the spoon. I have seen crappies on camera spit the spoon before I knew they had it but they felt it! Add more split rings or small chain they do not feel. Another option is to take on treble hook add #10 hook on a 6" 2lb leader. Makes a difference if they are backing off. Drill holes and run the spoons...we catch the aggressive if any in the hole and keep going (150 to 250 hole) in a day. Go back once you have the string cut to the holes you caught fish out of may be only 25 holes. We have also find out once you have the depth stay on that contour for the lake. Tip the spoon also with just a minnow head or other jigs used. If you have the vexilar you can really look at there moods. I have one lake that night ice fishing is the best from dusk to about midnight. Pending on how much time you have......good luck
    Likes ehall LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

bass and plate put ya on the right track for sure. down sizing and due to the weather conditions you are seeing a super lite bite. I use a spring bobber or cable bobber depending what rod I am using. Not so much looking for it to pull down as I am looking for the bow to come out and let it come up a little. On my underwater camera I've seen them come in and suck the jig in and spit it out...if I was only going from my Marcum LX-5 or the rod with no strike indicator I would have went home fish-less.

good luck next time out.

Post Thanks / Like

All of you guys have been a huge help! I will try all of your suggestions tomorrow morning and I will make swiss cheese of the lake tomorrow. Guess I better strip off the PowePro (1lb diameter 5lb test) and go with some good ol' mono I suppose. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Which spoon would you recommend? I have forage minnow, CJS slender spoon, globrite demon & lil Cecil's

Post Thanks / Like

Lindy red frost spoon 1/16oz 1st (go to bait color), you can tell on the vexilar if they are aggressive. If they are pounding/aggressive with that spoon which when snapped goes more vertical quickly..... switch to a custom jignspin spoon any color 1/16oz. Snap the custom jignspin and it flutters in more of a horizontal position and the crappies kill it.
    The powerbraid freezes and has no flex. I use the sufix ice fishing line in 2lb test.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Plate, I think I'll head out tonight around 3pm and see what happens!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast