Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: battery charger

Post Thanks / Like

Default battery charger

I need to get another battery for an extra for my boat and need a battery charger. I have a gift card for Lowes. Do they carry any chargers for deep cycle trolling batteries and would they work ok? I know they are not really an auto or marine store but since I have a gift card thought I might try.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure. I got my onboard charger at a Marina last year. Before I got my onboard charger I used to have a trickle charger I got from Walmart. Worked well for many years. Whenever I was not on the water I kept the battery plugged in to the charger. Iy had 2 amp and 10 amp rates.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

It needs to be a charger designed for deep cycle batteries.....any charger will charge it but your battery life probably won't be as good.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sort by: Best Match Price (Low to High) Price (High to Low) Brand Best Sellers Customer Ratings List View Grid View
    QuickView
    Compare
    Stanley 40-Amp Battery Charger
    (6 Reviews)
    $99.97
    Qty.:
    Add to Cart
    Stanley 40-Amp Battery Charger
    Item #: 328624 Model #: BC4009
    "One touch" technology automatically selects charge rate from 0- 40 amps to maximize battery life, charge speed and maintenance.
    3- stage high frequency automatic rapid charge
    Easy to read LCD screen with clear and concise information.
    Here's one at lowes

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeker, if you're looking for an onboard charger you might look into the pro-mite brand I found at BPS. I have had one on a pest boat and have one on my present boat. This one is a 5-5-5 three bank and charges overnite after the hardest day I can give it. Price was better than the others, and if you watch the sales it gets even better. Surges and lightning will take em out so leaving it plugged up 24/7 is risky IMHO. I charge when I return and a day before I go when I have that option. If I don't charge before I go it doesn't have any less power, just a confidence thing. Good Luck, several good ones to choose from. I don't think Lowes has anything like this, but you want an automatic charger if you go with that style. Shuts down the charge and goes into maintenance mode without damaging the battery. Look up Catfan in the KY board if you have any questions, works with batteries every day.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes SeaRay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Dual Pro at BPS is a really good onboard charger also…. I've had one (Dual Pro SE 30A - 3 Bank) for several years and not a speck of trouble...
    Likes SeaRay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help. I guess I should have specified. I have an onboard charger. However I have no more room in the compartment for another battery. I just want to take an extra battery along when trolling and I needed an inexpensive but sufficient battery charger. I saw one at Wal-Mart I think it was a Shumaker or something like that it was for auto and marine charging it said. I think it was 15 amp, either 8 or 6, and then a 3 amp maintainer with readout for like 49 dollars. Do you think this would be sufficient?

Post Thanks / Like

I used a Schumacher 10 amp automotive charger for years and never had any issues with it or my batteries. Well I had one issue with the charger, it only lasted about 20 years. If it had held up 5 more I would've got my moneys worth, around $80 IIRC.
    Likes ricky LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    Thanks for the help. I guess I should have specified. I have an onboard charger. However I have no more room in the compartment for another battery. I just want to take an extra battery along when trolling and I needed an inexpensive but sufficient battery charger. I saw one at Wal-Mart I think it was a Shumaker or something like that it was for auto and marine charging it said. I think it was 15 amp, either 8 or 6, and then a 3 amp maintainer with readout for like 49 dollars. Do you think this would be sufficient?
    That ought to serve your needs well seeker
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
    I used a Schumacher 10 amp automotive charger for years and never had any issues with it or my batteries. Well I had one issue with the charger, it only lasted about 20 years. If it had held up 5 more I would've got my moneys worth, around $80 IIRC.
    I still have a functioning Schumacher 10A Deep Cycle Solid State Battery Charger (model SE-1012D) ... which is probably over 30yrs old. The one I had before this one was a Schumacher.

Seeker ... as long as it's specifically designated for deep cycle marine batteries & is "automatic", then I think you'll be good to go.

Lowe's website says they carry Stanley brand battery chargers (online, at least) .... but, if you wanted to go Schumacher, I'd check Wal-Mart and save the Lowe's card for home repair items.

... cp
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast