Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lee melting pot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lee melting pot

I was wondering if you guys could give me a little information on drilling out the pouring spout? Mine drips, clogs and can be a pain. I've tried cleaning the spout with wire and it's only a temporary fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Do not drill it out. Best trick I know is to empty the pot and put the closing rod in a cordless drill and push it down in the hole as close to the right pouring angle and run the drill forward and reverse slowly a few times. Kind of like lapping in a valve on a engine head. I also unscrewed the weight on the hold down rod and made a heavier weight by filling a 3/4 fitting with lead and threaded it to fit the hold down rod. A lot more weight on the spout rod.I believe it is 8-32 threads. My 10 year old pot rarely leaks after I did these 2 tricks. Also look at this: Any Lee product of any age or condition that is currently manufactured, will be reconditioned to new if returned to the factory with payment of half the retail price + shipping. http://leeprecision.com/product-returns.html

Lee Precision, Inc.
    4275 Highway U
    Hartford, WI 53027
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!
    Likes Bobo Greybeard LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

As Ifish said, I would not drill it out. Not only could you open a huge can of worms. You will also void the factory warranty more than likely. Just my two cents

Bobo

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had mine for at least 10 years, I wouldn't drill it out either. Ifish gave dome good advice. Make sure you stir and clean your lead well and you won't have a problem.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't drill it out. I tried and ruined it. Had to buy replacement cup. Cheap enough but pain to change. FatMan has a thread some where on the proper way to clean one. Like ifish's idea about lapping in the tip. And adding weight.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

A friend came over with his Lee pot and started me pouring jigs. We kept a small stubby screw driver close by and slightly twisted the pour stop back and forth if it dripped. We poured about200 jigs and had to do this 3 times. Clean lead helps also helps, an old ice tea spoon to scoop the grouse or poor quality or contaminated lead off the top will help keep it clean also
    2012 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1750 sc
    115 merc 4 stroke
    Ulterra Ipilot-link
    HB Helix 8mdi front Helix 9msi at console

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DLM10 View Post
    A friend came over with his Lee pot and started me pouring jigs. We kept a small stubby screw driver close by and slightly twisted the pour stop back and forth if it dripped. We poured about200 jigs and had to do this 3 times. Clean lead helps also helps, an old ice tea spoon to scoop the grouse or poor quality or contaminated lead off the top will help keep it clean also
    I do that little trick when ever I am pouring heads also.

Bobo

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the thread that I've posted before http://www.crappie.com/crappie/showt...-question?page___

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for posting that Fatman. I was hoping you would. I was trying to find it the other day. LOL

Bobo

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to help.