Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Northeast KS Ice Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Northeast KS Ice Fishing

I'm hoping to head somewhere north of Topeka on New Years Day. Cold weather Sunday through Wednesday should lock things up. Anybody been out on Perry? Would go all the way to Banner Creek or Sabetha if that's what it takes to get on good ice.

Moved to this side of the state earlier this year. I don't know much about the region and haven't been able to get out yet. It would be great to meet up with other ice fisherman. I have quite a bit of ice fishing experience and I’m well equipped. (Flasher, augers, hut, heater, and all the necessary gear.)

crappieslinger is offline Moderator Kansas Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

With the warm weather the past few days I would be really skeptical of getting out on the ice around here. Of course I am not sure there is ice thick enough for me to get out on.. I prefer dry land much more than hard water!
    Don't Move a Mussel!! Clean, Drain and Dry EVERY TIME, ON EVERY BODY OF WATER!!

Post Thanks / Like

Lake shawnee is pretty locked up now and woul guess if weathers guys are right, should be good ice by new years day. But Im not an ice guy. Could probably make nice haul there if only looking for eaters. Drove my truck 4ft onto th ice at ramp to try an bust through today and had to back off because it woulldnt break! Chickened out I spose. If ya are thinking about goin thrr pm me an I'll let ya know where the old timers ice fished.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure about the ICE yet.
    I know they say 2" is enough.. But I wouldn't try it until there is 4" or more of "goodIce".
    You may want to try some of the Marina docks that allow fishing for a small fee.
    Melvern has a heated dock plus you can fish the boat slips out side.
    Pamona has 2 marina's that alow fishing.
    Have heard that they are doing well at Pamona but it's alittle crowded at times at the light house marina.
    Not sure about Perry??
    Anyway......HAPPY NEW YEAR CDC guys and gals.
    Rick
    Take a kid fishing--even a old kid

Post Thanks / Like

I have several good brush piles on my hand held GPS just waiting for good ice. Some of the bigger lakes shallow arms like rock creek perry might be ok next week. Drill small test holes and carry rescue spikes. The problem with Lake Shawnee is the geese sit over the best brush pile. Ive seen a guy or so out on Perry a week or so ago, but I would have had a wet suit on. I'm definitely in if the ice is good.

Post Thanks / Like

I got out my ice sled and stocked it with everything needed, now just waiting for good ice,. and I'll break out the garmin hand held, along with my vexilar ice flasher and head for the piles. Also interested in hooking up for some hard water fishin with interested fishers. Hey Dan u talkin abt the deep breaks over by the walkin bridge, that's the only place I've drilled, no love though?

Post Thanks / Like

Pomona was crowded the day after Christmas, think I counted 30 people that a.m. Brother-in-law and I caught a few keepers and gave them away to a guy. Seen fish being caught.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I checked out Melvern docks yesterday. Caught and released about half a dozen. It was pretty slow, butk sure was nice to drop the flasher in and get that fish smell on my hands.

This cold snap doesn't look quite as cold as it did a few days ago. Not sure if it will have enough time to grow much ice in the next few days. Have to see what the next few days brings, but hopefully I can get out on Wednesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I took my boat out to perry hoping to get on the watee yesterday but the ice was alot thicker than i expected. I would like tp do some ice fishing but have no experience on it to know when it's safe. Walked around the banks and it seamed pretty thick, couldn't imagine it being to thick out in the middle though.

Post Thanks / Like

Walked the dog around Hillsdale Saturday and the ice was very inconsistent. Some places I could walk out on it a bit and it was very solid. Other places it was popping and cracking as soon as I started to get away from the bank at all. The smaller lakes are probably pretty locked but not sure I'd trust it yet.