Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: minnow tank

Post Thanks / Like

Default minnow tank

I have a 20 gallon Grayline bait tank that I'm using to keep my left over minnows in yeah I know that ain't good when ya have some leftover but any way it runs off of 12 volt. My question is how can I convert that to where I can run it on regular house current then my next question is would it probably not be a good idea to run that areator for a extended period of time? anything I can put in the tank to help keep em alive? so far so good I'v had a couple to croak on me while being kept in the tank for 3-4 days... :D
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crapaddict
    I have a 20 gallon Grayline bait tank that I'm using to keep my left over minnows in yeah I know that ain't good when ya have some leftover but any way it runs off of 12 volt. My question is how can I convert that to where I can run it on regular house current then my next question is would it probably not be a good idea to run that areator for a extended period of time? anything I can put in the tank to help keep em alive? so far so good I'v had a couple to croak on me while being kept in the tank for 3-4 days... :D
    if you are not using the bait tank on the boat, but for storage at home, simply get you a small pond pump like used in the yard ponds and replace the rule with the yard pump with the same gph of the rule, which is probably 500 gph. but if you gonna do that go ahead and make you a holding tank out of a 55 gallon plastic drum. just add a yard pump, aerate it with a spray head and filter it and it will hold minnows forever. that way you can save your bait tank for the boat. thats what i done
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

There is a product I get at the bait store called Better Bait , think it's sold at BPS & Academy maybe different name brand but same stuff. It's has a blue tint and takes clorine out and ads oxegen.
    honey.'':o the weather is to bad to work in the yard so I think I'll go fishing''

Post Thanks / Like

A 20-gallon tank is not too large for one or two standard aquarium aerators that run 110v. with large stones. You can get those and run them in a holding tank at your house or just drop the stones in the baitwell on your boat when parked at the house. Another option is to put a timer inline on your current 12v aerator -- http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=TOP_SEARCH_GO -- so it doesn't run constant. Keep the batteries charged. It's best if your charger has a maintenance cycle and you keep them plugged in all the time at the house.

The other things to consider is filtering and/or water exchange. Watch the chlorine content and oxygen content when changing out water. You don't want it to get a killing fungus started either. Water temperature is key, use a swimming pool thermometer to keep tabs on it. Cool water holds more oxygen, stay below 72, whereas 58 is optimal. More oxygen, the more minnows you can keep in a specified volume of water. The inverse is true with warm water, say above 72, not as many minnows. Fall and Winter temps make it so much easier. In 58 degree or less water, during this time of year, you should be able to keep a 1/2 pound (10-12 dozen or more depending on minnow size) alive for weeks in 20 gallons of water.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a 20 gal. grayline that I plan to us the same way. I have a 110 volt air pump with a air stone. Plan to run the filter about once or twice aweek. you can get the pump and air stone at any pet store.... Let me know what works for you....Thanks
    CVA62.....64-68

Post Thanks / Like

right now all I'm doing is letting the tank areator run say twice daily for about 15 min. each and they look so lively!! I guess it's cause the fall weather is here and we got them 30 degree nights. I use well water so I'm not worried about the chlorine. I checked for ammonia in the water and there is none and the ph seems to be ok as well. I think I'm gonna keep doing this until things change..
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

i do the same thing with my 30 gal. keep alive tank.i will get 2lbs of minners at a time(less money that way)and keep them in the 30 gal. tank on the boat,and put some in a minner bucket to keep up front with me to fish with.when ever i get ready to go,i'll drain some of the water out of the tank and pour some freash in eack day.i do add just a little rock salt to the tank,and run the filter a little bit each day untill the bait is gone.back in june and july when we had the 100 degree days i had to add ice,but i never have a problem with my bait,or getting fish to take it..

jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Cost is the main reason that I'll be buying my minnows in bulk. Where my camper is the minnows are $1.49 a dozen and they count every one out. Sorry Charley, That won't work for me. I know a bait man and I'll buy them buy the pound and keep them for as long as they last. Hopefully I run out before they die of old age...I don't plan on keeping them past May. Do of you feed your minnows??? Thanks, This has been in the works for a while.
    CVA62.....64-68

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you keep your tanks?I have thought of setting one up.I can also buy minnows by the pound.Also what,when and how much do you feed them.
    Thanks chris

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 110Volt pump i use a 48 qt cooler for container and buy minnows by the pound. got it at bass pro shop item # 21-463-277,also use shad alive ans water conditoner item # 21-484-250,in summer keep 4 2lts coke bottles in frezzer, put to in cooler and t refreeze to keep water cool it works very well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast