PDA

View Full Version : minnow tank

crapaddict
10-24-2006, 06:11 AM
I have a 20 gallon Grayline bait tank that I'm using to keep my left over minnows in yeah I know that ain't good when ya have some leftover but any way it runs off of 12 volt. My question is how can I convert that to where I can run it on regular house current then my next question is would it probably not be a good idea to run that areator for a extended period of time? anything I can put in the tank to help keep em alive? so far so good I'v had a couple to croak on me :eek: while being kept in the tank for 3-4 days... :D

rango
10-24-2006, 06:38 AM
I have a 20 gallon Grayline bait tank that I'm using to keep my left over minnows in yeah I know that ain't good when ya have some leftover but any way it runs off of 12 volt. My question is how can I convert that to where I can run it on regular house current then my next question is would it probably not be a good idea to run that areator for a extended period of time? anything I can put in the tank to help keep em alive? so far so good I'v had a couple to croak on me :eek: while being kept in the tank for 3-4 days... :D
if you are not using the bait tank on the boat, but for storage at home, simply get you a small pond pump like used in the yard ponds and replace the rule with the yard pump with the same gph of the rule, which is probably 500 gph. but if you gonna do that go ahead and make you a holding tank out of a 55 gallon plastic drum. just add a yard pump, aerate it with a spray head and filter it and it will hold minnows forever. that way you can save your bait tank for the boat. thats what i done

paw paw perch
10-24-2006, 06:53 AM
There is a product I get at the bait store called Better Bait , think it's sold at BPS & Academy maybe different name brand but same stuff. It's has a blue tint and takes clorine out and ads oxegen.

Darryl Morris
10-24-2006, 06:58 AM
A 20-gallon tank is not too large for one or two standard aquarium aerators that run 110v. with large stones. You can get those and run them in a holding tank at your house or just drop the stones in the baitwell on your boat when parked at the house. Another option is to put a timer inline on your current 12v aerator -- http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.SearchResults?cmid=TOP_SEARCH_GO -- so it doesn't run constant. Keep the batteries charged. It's best if your charger has a maintenance cycle and you keep them plugged in all the time at the house.

The other things to consider is filtering and/or water exchange. Watch the chlorine content and oxygen content when changing out water. You don't want it to get a killing fungus started either. Water temperature is key, use a swimming pool thermometer to keep tabs on it. Cool water holds more oxygen, stay below 72, whereas 58 is optimal. More oxygen, the more minnows you can keep in a specified volume of water. The inverse is true with warm water, say above 72, not as many minnows. Fall and Winter temps make it so much easier. In 58 degree or less water, during this time of year, you should be able to keep a 1/2 pound (10-12 dozen or more depending on minnow size) alive for weeks in 20 gallons of water.

crip47
10-24-2006, 11:36 AM
I also have a 20 gal. grayline that I plan to us the same way. I have a 110 volt air pump with a air stone. Plan to run the filter about once or twice aweek. you can get the pump and air stone at any pet store.... Let me know what works for you....Thanks

crapaddict
10-24-2006, 03:08 PM
right now all I'm doing is letting the tank areator run say twice daily for about 15 min. each and they look so lively!! I guess it's cause the fall weather is here and we got them 30 degree nights. I use well water so I'm not worried about the chlorine. I checked for ammonia in the water and there is none and the ph seems to be ok as well. I think I'm gonna keep doing this until things change..

crome
10-24-2006, 03:54 PM
i do the same thing with my 30 gal. keep alive tank.i will get 2lbs of minners at a time(less money that way)and keep them in the 30 gal. tank on the boat,and put some in a minner bucket to keep up front with me to fish with.when ever i get ready to go,i'll drain some of the water out of the tank and pour some freash in eack day.i do add just a little rock salt to the tank,and run the filter a little bit each day untill the bait is gone.back in june and july when we had the 100 degree days i had to add ice,but i never have a problem with my bait,or getting fish to take it..

jerry

crip47
10-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Cost is the main reason that I'll be buying my minnows in bulk. Where my camper is the minnows are $1.49 a dozen and they count every one out. Sorry Charley, That won't work for me. I know a bait man and I'll buy them buy the pound and keep them for as long as they last. Hopefully I run out before they die of old age...I don't plan on keeping them past May. Do of you feed your minnows??? Thanks, This has been in the works for a while.

cspen
10-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Where do you keep your tanks?I have thought of setting one up.I can also buy minnows by the pound.Also what,when and how much do you feed them.
Thanks chris

Ken Kinser
10-24-2006, 06:56 PM
I have a 110Volt pump i use a 48 qt cooler for container and buy minnows by the pound. got it at bass pro shop item # 21-463-277,also use shad alive ans water conditoner item # 21-484-250,in summer keep 4 2lts coke bottles in frezzer, put to in cooler and t refreeze to keep water cool it works very well.

beagler
10-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Cost is the main reason that I'll be buying my minnows in bulk. Where my camper is the minnows are $1.49 a dozen and they count every one out. Sorry Charley, That won't work for me. I know a bait man and I'll buy them buy the pound and keep them for as long as they last. Hopefully I run out before they die of old age...I don't plan on keeping them past May. Do of you feed your minnows??? Thanks, This has been in the works for a while.

I know what your talking about. Last thursday i wtched the fellow at Coldwater Creek on Lake RUssel count my monnows out one at a time. { is that by chance the place your talking about}. They used to give you extra not anymore.
s

crip47
10-24-2006, 08:41 PM
It was a gas station off 72. When I get set up I'll bring you some if you like. The way they do business they won't see me again.

bassadict69
10-25-2006, 07:02 AM
Anyone have pics of your tanks you could post?

How about more details on the filter system you are using?

ShilohRed
10-25-2006, 09:35 AM
I keep mine at home in a 100 gallon stock tank with a 110 volt pond pump. I keep minnows all winter long in it. Even have it freeze over and they still live.
Then I have a 30 gallon bait tank in the boat. It will keep them 3 or 4 days without a problem,. But I need to add a timer to the pump on it.
Pete

crip47
10-25-2006, 12:21 PM
This is my 20 gal.Grayline tank.It has a strap-on rodholder. In the middle is the 12volt filter along with a 12volt and 110 volt aerators. I have this tank for blueback herring because they are hard to keep alive. If it was just for minnows I'd never pay the price for it. You can make one for alot less. A big cool or plastic durm word work fine along for short term uses with an aerator. A filter is not hard to make

Darryl Morris
10-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Five-Day cooler from Walmart with Oxygen Infuser aerator and filter, external bilge pump for fill, plumbed for overflow, swimming pool thermometer to keep tabs on the water temp.
http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/images/BaitTank001.jpg

http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/images/BaitTank002.jpg

http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/images/BaitTank003.jpg

http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/images/BaitTank004.jpg

crapaddict
10-25-2006, 03:48 PM
I talked to a man in Arkansas today and he said that he wished stores would sell them buy the pound instead of by dozen. nobody around here sells them that way thats why I'm still looking to maybe order online. #6 minnows at a count of 668 shipped in a 4lb box would cost me 60 bucks to del to my doorstep.that averages out to about $1:10 per dozen..better still than what I'm paying now,but lstill looking......................:D

crip47
10-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Darryl, Looks real good to me and you saved several hundred dollars....
WAY TO GO

Darryl Morris
10-25-2006, 04:54 PM
I talked to a man in Arkansas today and he said that he wished stores would sell them buy the pound instead of by dozen. nobody around here sells them that way thats why I'm still looking to maybe order online. #6 minnows at a count of 668 shipped in a 4lb box would cost me 60 bucks to del to my doorstep.that averages out to about $1:10 per dozen..better still than what I'm paying now,but lstill looking......................:D

You might want to check the pricing on roseys and shipping thru Andersons -- http://www.andersonminnows.com/ We get minnows from there but we usually go get them ourselves so I don't know how it might effect the pricing. It might be worth to check. They ship bait all over and do a real good job of keeping them healthy.

Darryl Morris
10-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Here's a table that is a great help and a general guideline for regulating your minnow survival rate:

Water Temperature-Pounds of Fish-Gallons of Water
55 Fahrenheit 5 15
65 Fahrenheit 5 20
75 Fahrenheit 5 30
85 Fahrenheit 5 50

As you can see, the warmer the water the great the volume of water, even aerated water at that, needed to maintain enough oxygen to sustain the same amount of bait.

Darryl Morris
10-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Darryl, Looks real good to me and you saved several hundred dollars....
WAY TO GO

Oh, I could never take all the credit for that invention. Mr. Jerry Blake is the engineering genious behind 99.9999999% of all our rigging. We call it "Jerry Rigging." I can tell you this much, I have learned more about boats, electrical, mechanical, everything in general working with him these past years than I have my whole life. One of my favorite saysing is, "Humility is realizing you stand on the shoulders of giants." I am a short man but I think you know that's not what I mean.

Keep after the bait boys. I know I have killed way too many pounds of them in the past and by trial and error and the help of others I've learned to keep more alive than I kill. It may not seem like fishing, but no doubt it is part of it and when you get results with the right bait, you will see an increase in results on the water too. Crappie aren't interest as much in eating a sick minnow.

Rowdy
10-25-2006, 05:14 PM
None of you have a minnow pond? We stock our own,They hatch 3-4 times a summer. Find a pond with no fish and put in 1# and you cant fish them out ! Leave them alone for 1 year and you should allways have plenty.

I have a 400 gal plastic tote in a metal frame with a comercial ariator. I only fill to 150 gal,Ill catch minnows 1 time a month and have them all winter,after the tank gets 70 deg. I start loosing them .
Rowdy

Darryl Morris
10-25-2006, 05:38 PM
You're exactly right Rowdy, a minnow pond is definitely a natural way to not only keep minnows but also raise them. Jerry has a minnow pond at his place and we stock it often. But as much as we use, we usually trap them all out and use them up before they can reproduce. Recently, we did a 100% fish kill on it to get all the bream and two grass carp out of it. Now we are starting all over. The bream and even the carp were eating the minnows. Sometime we'll find our way to the bait farm and buy wholesale 10 or 20 pounds. We definitely don't have the tank capacity to keep that volume but it is nice to put them in the pond and trap them out as needed.

crapaddict
10-26-2006, 06:53 AM
now ya'll really got me thinking! :D I do know 1 pond that was drained a couple of years ago.....hmmmmm I thought about putting shad in there once but I didn't know if they would survive or not being that it is only about 8ft at the dam..

ShilohRed
10-26-2006, 07:41 AM
I have a pond that has everything in it. Bass, Crappie, Catfish and for years if I had any bait left I would dump it in there.
Now there is minnows that are 8" + and they do raise in there. But the other fish eat them also.
One guy stocked his small lake with minnows. His ideal was 25 lbs and then the next year he stocked it with bass. Well for a few years we were buying minnows off him for $5 per 5 gallon bucket. Sure wish he had not killed the pond out.
I have one I think I will stock again. Sure beat buying them now.
Pete

Butt_Ugly
10-26-2006, 08:12 AM
What about feeding them if they are in an aquarium or some other container?

Joe

gilly
10-26-2006, 08:49 AM
My minnows eat regular fish flakes. Now, Everytime I come close to them they will boil the surface in anticipation of food.

Rowdy
10-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Dont think you can keep shad alive?We use Bullheads and they do well, I have never used roseyreds will they grow in farm ponds?
Rowdy