Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missouri River

Post Thanks / Like

Default Missouri River

Ive never put on in the Missouri river and wanting to. I have a 1752 aluminum Lowe with a 40 hrsp merc. Do you guys think that would be safe and have enough gitty up to push me upsream without any worries.

Post Thanks / Like

South Point is who I would ask he fishes it alot. I think it has more to do with using your head and not getting into situations, vs bigger and more hp.

Post Thanks / Like

I can paddle upstream. Yep, that is big enough.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

Big enough. We use a 25 hsp and a 30 hsp. See people using motors less than 10 hsp on the river. don't go fast but they go. Right now there is ice flowing down the river.

Post Thanks / Like

yup, you have a great river boat! I spent years fishing the Mo in a 17ft boat with a 40hp. like said it really don't matter how big a boat ya got, have to use your head while out there. I guess that's anywhere but the current and wingdikes of the missouri kind of compounds things.
    not too much for barge traffic anymore but sometimes we see one. gotta watch out for them sometimes they throw one heck of a wake, especially the ones going upriver.. if I see a bad wake I'll just run back behind a dike until the waves settle, but most barges aren't near that bad and I only see one every few trips out.
    Perch, I was out fishing today and the ice is still there but navigatable. after this rain it should be clear of ice totaly. fish were biting, too. we didn't do too well but another boat had a 47lb flattie... a real dandie.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang nice fish. don't know if we will make it out this winter.Did you put in at Washington. I know the river is low and was wondering if ramps were usable. 1 day we saw 2 tugs with barges. that was a busy day. Actually saw 1 this summer stop behind a dike for about an hour. Thought maybe another was headed downstream and they had to give way. But no. Guess they pulled over for lunch. never saw that before.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using klondike with this low water. too many rocks around washington for a prop boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt if New Haven is usable. Don't know about Gasconade City and putting in there. It was low weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys.Im going to grow a pair and try it soon.

Post Thanks / Like

what part of the river are you trying to fish or hunt, gooseslayer? if your in my area (the eastern half of the state)I would be glad to take ya out and give ya some pointers sometime. once you learn how to read the bouys and day markers for safe navigation, it's no problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast