Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Aluminum Boats for Crappie Fishing Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your thoughts on Aluminum Boats for Crappie Fishing Boats

It appears many of you have an aluminum boat you are utilizing for a crappie fishing boat. In this part of Texas, there are a few aluminum boats used for crappie fishing, but most are fiberglass.

From the models that are on the market NOW, what recommendations would you submit for an excellent crappie boat and what size motor. I need to stay around 18,000 dollars or less hopefully. I am looking for recommendations, there are lots of boats out there and I know there could be preference recommendations in certain areas of the Country that are not carried in this portion of Texas.

Ideas, I would appreciate it??? Dealer Recommendations???

Thanks,
    Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Tracker series of deep V boats like the Pro Guide 16 and 17. There web site is trackerboats.com and you can get pricing for your area there.
    Hope your lines stay wet and your livewells full.:D

Post Thanks / Like

I fished out of a 20 foot Sea-Ark for several years. It was one of the best crappie boats I have ever seen. I now have a new Triton TA-196 but would go back to my old aluminum boat (Sea-Ark) in a heart beat if I had to. Aluminum boats are probably the best for straight crappie fishing there is.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alum Boats

I think it depends on the lakes you fish, size and depth, wind. A glass boat
    rides better and dryer than alum. and probably safer.
    I personally like alum., you can work with alum it's more versatile.
    I just hate I didn't go with the 4 stroke motor, if you go glass be sure to get
    enought horse power to push it, it is heavier.
    I'm going out on a limb here, alum. will bend six times it's thickness before it
    ruptures, you know what fiberglass will do............

Good Luck......................spider rig man

Post Thanks / Like

A fiberglass boat is more sturdy but it doesn't take much to put a hole it in. An aluminum boat isn't as sturdy but if you dedided to go in a river after catfish one night or in some standing timber and run up on a log that has rotted at the waterline that you can't see, all you're going to do in an aluminum boat is scratch it, maybe put a small dent in it unless you're running wide open then you've got problems!

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw a 20 foot jon boat at bass pro that I got to have, 96 inch beam casting platform all open, no bench seats, customize how you want around 8,000 with 25hp, I would upgrade the hp and comes with trailer and holds 9 people

Post Thanks / Like

I tourney fish in a180w Lowe and love it, i have been in some places i would have hated to have a glass boat in.
    Take a kid fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I'm with Joey

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Briggs
    I tourney fish in a180w Lowe and love it, i have been in some places i would have hated to have a glass boat in.
    I have a Lowe Stinger 180W with a 90hp Johnson. I love it! Life time warranty on the hull. Wide as a pickup truck. Only bad thing is she catches the wind. You can get 1 fully rigged for less than what you're talking. You can get a great deal on a 2006 model right now.:D
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat

I have a 170W Lowe its Aluminum 1996 model its holding up real nice never had any trouble with it. It`s good all round good fishing boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyfootnc
    A fiberglass boat is more sturdy but it doesn't take much to put a hole it in. An aluminum boat isn't as sturdy but if you dedided to go in a river after catfish one night or in some standing timber and run up on a log that has rotted at the waterline that you can't see, all you're going to do in an aluminum boat is scratch it, maybe put a small dent in it unless you're running wide open then you've got problems!
    Not wanting to start a war between fiberglass and aluminum....but could you define your use of the word "sturdy". I've had them all, and I currently have a riveted Smokercraft Pro Alaskan 172 that has seen more rough water than any other boat that I've owned. Never a leak, never an "oh chit!" in really rough water.
    I have dented a few, but most of those hits would likely have "busted" fiberglass. Stumps were usually the culprit, and for the most part...I beat the dent back out.

I've been "boating" all my life. and I prefer aluminum boats in all areas except one.....rocky rivers. Aluminum does tend to "grab" rocks more than fiberglass. Otherwise...gimme the aluminum!
    Snal~
    1992 Alumacraft 14' Jon Boat w/ 15hp Johnson
    1988 Party Barge w/Rude 90hp (project finished!)
    1994 C Dory 22 Angler w/ twin Honda 45's
    7 Kayaks, 1 canoe
    www.snartracing.com (my other passion)

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast