Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass Bass Boats as Crappie Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fiberglass Bass Boats as Crappie Boats

First off, I love that Triton TA196 Crappie Boat, but it may just simply be out of my price range.

For those that utilize bass boats for the majority of their crappie fishing, what does a bass boat offer as an advantage for crappie fishing?? How many have adapted a bass boat to mostly crappie fishing and what have you done to make it a great crappie fishing boat?? Pictures would be great if you are so inclined.

I appreciate your input and thoughts on using fiberglass bass boats as crappie fishing boats.

Thanks,
    Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

MD I fish out of a old procaft fish and ski.The things I like about it are:

1 windshield to hide behind in the winter,
    2 open room behind the windshield[bench seats removed,bass swivel seats
    with short poles in there place]
    3 can set up to fish different types of fishing
    [tightlining,trolling,bass fishing]
    4 I think that fiberglass is not as noisy when noise is a factor
    5 molded live wells and storage compartments

Things I don't like

1 wieghs more than alluminum
    2 harder to modify[cutting up gel coated fiberglass,no turning back once you
    you start]
    3 has alot of wood under the fiberglass,this will get wet and hold moisture
    4 has carpet,looks good for a while but eventually wears out and requires
    maint.
    5 gelcoat is not as durable as alluminum[scratches easy,fades,will eventually
    need re-applied

PS: new fiberglass boats are designed alot better than mine,don't let the flaw's of my boat stop you from considering fiberglass

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

CSPEN makes some good points. The only reason I have mine is it cost me $2K about 5 years ago. I wish it were lighter and had a smaller motor. I don't need to go 65MPH.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I think aluminum vs. fiberglass is just a preference to the owner. Hull shape is going to make all the difference in how the boat rides, especially in rough water. As for me, whether I was guiding or not, I'm seriously sold on center-consoles for so many reasons: size, stability, versatility, safety, etc. You're fishing in the boat and not on top of it. I can crappie fish by myself in really skinny water (8-12" draft) or deep, open water with a crew up to 6 or more folks (clients or friends or family) at one time. It easily stores and carries enough tackle and 16 rods (8 crappie poles, 4 trolling rods, 4 casting rods). And if you want/need to get up and walk around you can without making a big disturbance to the boat or the other anglers. Bottomline, it's got all the conveniences of fishing from a mobile dock. Definitely get a 4-stroke motor. They're totally worth the money!

Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

this is my favorit crappie boat .
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0330120046.jpg
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

My Skeeter with a Yamaha 200 works just fine for crappie fishing. I have several rod holders that can be removed, plenty of room, and NO WOOD to rot in this Skeeter. Just your preferemce, which ever you prefer. Alot of people even use floatboats.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 19' Cobra bass boat that I use for both bass and crappie. It has a 200 HP Mercury on it. I like the big motor to run down those #$*& jet ski.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my Stratos. And really fiberglass is some tough stuff. You can't run it up on the bank and probably wouldn't want to bust ice with it. But it's still pretty dang tough. It gets scratched but so do the new painted aluminum boats. But I like how stable mine is. And 60+ mph ain't bad either. Of course I'd be fine in a 15' jon boat with a 25hp motor too. But my range would be a little more limited and I guess comfort too.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 21 ft. Ranger and The main reason is because it is so heavy. The wind doesn't bother me like it does a smaller, lighter Al. boat. Aluminum boats are noisy when waves hit them an also when you drop something. The deep V in front of a Ranger makes them so much more fishable than other models. I had 2 Stratos boats before and I promise you haven't fished until you have fished out of a Ranger. They cost more but you get what you pay for in a boat. If I wanted speed I would buy an Allison boat. I want big and heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are fishing open water, I' say fiberglass... The ride in a glass boat is a lot better than aluminum when the wind picks up. Also, the wind doesn't blow the boat around as much... Both of these are due to the weigh of a glass boat.

Now that I have said that, I have a 2072 Sea Ark. It of course is aluminum and I love it. It is probably the heaviest aluminum boat of it's kind with .125 guage alum and double ribs from center forward... as stated before 4-stroke is a no brainer. I mainly fish rivers and intercoastal salt water, so shallow draft is important as well as size (high sides), the wind wasn't a big factor for me.

I have the perfect boat in my opinion, very versitile and not too expensive and the best thing is I can customize it to suit me, with it's open floor plan.

The only other boat I would have is a Kenner like D. Morris shows in the pic above. It was a toss up...
    Last edited by stumpbumpers; 10-27-2006 at 06:09 PM.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast