Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Suggestions for a newbie?

StartNFromScratch Guest

Question Suggestions for a newbie?

I'm new to Crappie fishing and have been away from fishing all together for quite a while.

I want to try Crappie fishing cause I've heard they're fun to catch as well as good to eat.

My 5 yr old son wants to fish and I would like us to have some success so he'll want to go back. (It sounds like a good dad/son activity.)

I plan on fishing the shoreline at Smithville lake, probably starting at the end of Dec. '04 or beginning of Jan. '05.

I'd appreciate any info you could give me.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

First, I'd like to invite you to the KC Sport Show(see posts). I will give you very good info to get started. The advise I could give you now is, go to the WW bridge. Cast 1/16 oz jigs to the bridge pillars. Let it drop and watch your line. If it twitches, set the hook. You might also use slip-bobbers set at 15ft. Good luck. Hope to see you at the show! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see that you joined up and getting into crappie fishing. I dont know anything about Smithville lake so I cant help you there. A good and easy way to get a kid into crappie fishing, would be with a cork and minnow. Look for brush piles in 15ft-20ft of water. Use a slip bobber with a bobber stop, set it at 10 to 12 feet. And that should produce a bite. It would better if you could get into a private pond, fishing lake can be hit and miss at times. Also there are a select few public lakes that are for kids to fish only. Which are suppose to be better stocked, I remember one when I was growing up in Lawrence, KS. There might be some heated docks on Smithville, like there down at Lake Ozarks. Its pretty cold right now to be outside for a long period of time, especially for a young kid. Hope you luck
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great son/dad activity. When my children were little we fished as much as possible. When my son was around 5 or 6 it was great fun to fish with him. He was as interested in the minnows and worms as much as fishing. When he caught his first fish it was a kick in the pants and he was hooked. He's a grown man now and still loves to fish.

As he got older it became about competition between he and I on the numbers and size of the fish we caught during the day. Had great early morning breakfasts bragging about how many fish we were going to catch that day.

I grew up fishing with a cane pole, line, hook and worms. That was the extent of my equipment and I couldn't have had more fun.

I guess just keep it simple and enjoy every minute. Wish I could role back the time.
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Chatt
    First, I'd like to invite you to the KC Sport Show(see posts). I will give you very good info to get started. The advise I could give you now is, go to the WW bridge. Cast 1/16 oz jigs to the bridge pillars. Let it drop and watch your line. If it twitches, set the hook. You might also use slip-bobbers set at 15ft. Good luck. Hope to see you at the show! <*)}}}><

I think this man could help you more and most. He is a pro and will give you good advise. It would be worth going to the KC Sport show just to set up a meeting with him to talk one on one about crappie fishing.

I grow up bass fishing before everyone got into it. I had to go, my dad did not give me a choice about not going. If he could not get a friend to go with him he made me go. I loved going most of the time, but still remember like it was yesterday winter bass fishing and freezing my rear off and shoveling snow from the boat while fishing. Guess my point is make it fun for your son not work. I was turned off from fishing for a lot of years because it was work to me not fun.

I love going fishing to this day with my dad. I am 52 and he is 85 now and we still fish together. We may fight about he wants to go bass fishing and I will not bass fish with him anymore, like I tell him now, It is my boat and we crappie fish now.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

StartNFromScratch Guest

Gentlemen,

Thanks so much for you comments and advice. I'm sure I'll more specific questions with time.

Thanks again