Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: line question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default line question?

Was fishing yesterday in cold conditions with spider wire braid and had the line freezing on my rod and in the spool when I would reel a fish in. I use it for when I'm fishing deep for better feel without the stretch like mono for detecting light bites. What do you guys use or recommend for very cold conditions, I can deal with ice in the eyes, but when it starts freezing together in the spool, that's trouble. Should I try something like a floracarbon line? Thanks in advance

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't fish when it's that cold anymore, but if I did think I would try some of the lines designed for ice fishing. Netcraft has some advertised. Think most major brands have some type of ice line.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Fish all year long Cray, doesn't matter if it 105* or 5* out, if I get to go crappie fishing I go. I had never used spiderwire when it was that cold before, but the fish were in 35-40ft of water and hitting lite so i wanted the extra sensitivity over mono. I think I am a crappieholic, they say admitting is the first step. Iwas really hoping to of been ice fishing this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Sufix Ice Braid

Post Thanks / Like

The reason your reel is icing up so quickly is because braid - any kind - retains moisture longer than single filament lines like mono or fluorocarbon. Spray your reel down well with KVD Line conditioner, as well as the guides. Will reduce icing. However, after line gets "wet", nothing much will help as it is going to freeze.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna sound dumb but you can put chap stick on your line guides. Get a tube and rub it on your finger then onto the guides.

The line no idea don't use braid.

Post Thanks / Like

My brain is frozen right now... but there is a spray you can use... been out for years ...know it when I see it but can't think of the name, get the can not the pump bottle.... someone on here will think of it if I dont...
    Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ricky View Post
    My brain is frozen right now... but there is a spray you can use... been out for years ...know it when I see it but can't think of the name, get the can not the pump bottle.... someone on here will think of it if I dont...

Real Magic
    a
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 12-21-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Real magic or silicone spray. Usually you can unfreeze the guides and reel by dipping it in the lake. Works down here at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast