PDA

View Full Version : bait caster or spinning reel for sipder rigging?

kyrich
12-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Whats the and pro's and con's of using the two different reels?

mkeller
12-15-2013, 05:54 PM
I have used cheap Shimon spinning reels when I first started, then replaced the spinning reels with linecounter reels. I dont feel you have to have an expensive reel for spider rigging, the most important thing is once you find the right depth being able to duplicate it. I went to linecounter reels to take the guess work out of it. It is all personal preference, I dont think one of the most successful spider riggers Capps and Coleman use anything fancy.

satdoc1
12-15-2013, 06:47 PM
bait caster definately!

"G"
12-15-2013, 06:53 PM
bait caster definately!

preferably with a thumb bar

Cray
12-15-2013, 06:56 PM
http://www.ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=6318

Get some of these.

Handicrappie
12-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Spinning reels IMO! Its more of a Ford vs Chevy thing but if the spinning reels are good enough for folks like Capps and Coleman, John Harrison, Warren Cotton, Brad Taylor, Tim Blackley and many other top pros they are good enough for me. A small profile and smooth drag would be the two most important factors I would consider in your purchase. Good luck in your purchase.

ATM
12-15-2013, 07:07 PM
I have used cheap Shimon spinning reels when I first started, then replaced the spinning reels with linecounter reels. I dont feel you have to have an expensive reel for spider rigging, the most important thing is once you find the right depth being able to duplicate it. I went to linecounter reels to take the guess work out of it. It is all personal preference, I dont think one of the most successful spider riggers Capps and Coleman use anything fancy.

They use $50 Pflueger President 6920 spinning reels.

High Bridge Hooker
12-15-2013, 08:36 PM
I like bait casters with a thumb bar. It allows me to let out line with my thumb. When I catch a fish on a short line. I can swing it in the boat with 1 hand. Also no line twist.

lcookie
12-15-2013, 09:25 PM
line counter caster

skeetbum
12-15-2013, 10:15 PM
I use spinners, 2000 series for less line memory and bigger, smoother drag discs. Not expensive and use em for trolling cranks too.

kyrich
12-16-2013, 12:23 PM
With the bait casters do you fish with the guides up on the rod ?

Handicrappie
12-16-2013, 12:48 PM

Yes

Rees Guide
12-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Baitcasters for me, been using em since I was a kid and never have liked spinning reels anyways so it was a good fit. To each their own but have seen a bunch go to the baitcasters after trying them, get in the boat with someone and use theirs and decide.

feelay
12-16-2013, 02:39 PM

I don't. I always fish with the eyes down.

Oldyankee
12-16-2013, 05:02 PM
1/2 push button, 1/2 open face. I like the push button because easy to let line out when you drift deeper, and the spin cast because eyes are down. I like the counter idea though

Garrett Purvis
12-17-2013, 05:15 PM
either one will work fine. the most important thing to me is getting something that will last. i've bought really cheap spinning reels before and the things just fell apart after a few fishing trips. it is a easier to get your depth dialed in with baitcasters but you can still do it with spinning reels.

eagle 1
12-17-2013, 08:53 PM
If you fish solo , the thumb bar reels come in handy . One hand for reel/one for net .

justinp61
12-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Baitcasters here with thumb bars.

Gindog
12-18-2013, 12:19 PM
:hesaid

jetcrew0
12-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Went to baitcasters a few years ago. I think the biggest advantage is when I spider rig deep water. I like that you can retrieve the fish in quicker and with multiple fish on this helps alot.

Countrytime
12-19-2013, 08:44 AM
If you are not going to long line troll, I would say baitcasters. If you are going to do both, go with spinning reels. Crappie Maxx found at Bass Pro makes a regular bass style low profile baitcaster that is great that is in the 45-50 range. I have alot of them. No complaints.

PS I like fishing with baitcasters with the eyes downward.

crappiecrazybk
12-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Left handed baitcasters for sure! Fish with the eyes down, set the hook, and then turn the eyes up. Use the thumb release button to let line out slowly and close the bail with the left hand when you have enough line out. I use 20' poles at certain times of the year, and its a must to use these reels with that long of a pole. I use them on all my trolling poles at any length.

CrappiePro
12-20-2013, 03:43 AM
I prefer spinning reels...not cheap ones...but not expensive ones either. My choice for spinning is I want the Line coming off the reel as fast as possible. This is one feature bait casters cant match, especially in deep water.

crappiefarmer
12-20-2013, 09:15 AM
Spinning reels for me. I use the rod to measure fishing depth and when I want to go deeper than the length of the rod, I strip out a foot of line at the time and count the bait down. You would basically have to do the same with a baitcaster without a linecounter. spider rigging with spinning reels works great, has smooth drag for big fish, and I have never had a birds nest or any problem with line twist spider rigging. Cheapest is better. As long as it has a smooth drag. I have $10 spinning reels on my spider rigging rods but I have $80 spinning reels on my spinning rods I cast with. The reels on the spider rigging rods are just line holders with good drags.CF

rnvinc
12-20-2013, 10:07 AM
I use closed face underspin reels..(with the trigger cut shorter to prevent accidental trip release)...

Open face reels allow UV sun degradation of fishing line...

I cut off just enough line every year to remove the sun-exposed section...

A "full spool" of mono lasts many years this way...

Rickie

bdunn3
12-20-2013, 06:49 PM
My first year spider-rigging. I use baitcasters. Feel I have more control. Even though it might not be that way. I love living in fantacy! :)