Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help on finding Nice Crappie Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help on finding Nice Crappie Rod

I'm looking for a rod with nice backbone and sensitive. I want a 7 ft rod preferably. I will be putting a president phfluegar on the rod.

I seen Bonehead tackle had a rod that was 7 ft light. Looked to be perfect but when I went to website I didn't see it? I don't know if he still sells it or not. Is this rod a great one? What rod is really good for my techniques I want to perform? I'm willing to spend up to $150 bucks on one.

I'm new to this forum and I say hello!

I'm not new to Crappie fishing, but I haven't done it much. I mostly fished for largemouth bass but I'm planning to fish more for crappie this year coming.

Thanks for your help appreciated.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We'd need to know what "techniques" you plan on using the rod for .... but, in most cases, you'll likely get a multitude of different opinions on which one is "best".

Personally, I like the ESP line of rods. I use a 5'6" UL for dock shooting, a 6'6" PowerLite for casting, and my 9' PowerJig for jigging & some tightlining. The only downside to ESP rods is if you intend to use slip floats, as they have micro guides (which are not real user friendly with a lot of the bobber stops). I like them because they have fast tip action, rather than the parabolic bend of most IM6 Crappie rods. I took the reel off my 7' Sam Heaton and put it on the 6'6" PowerLite ESP ... as my primary jig casting outfit, just for that very reason. I haven't gone back to the Sam Heaton, since.

I will admit, though, that I was a fieldtester for the ESP rods (through their designer) and did not purchase them. However, I have had friends and site members purchase these rods on my recommendation, and haven't heard any negative remarks concerning them.

You can read about them here : http://esp.norsemenoutdoors.com/ .... and I believe Grizzly Jigs carries some of them, at a slightly lower price. You can also use the "Store locator" function on the Norsemen Outdoors website, to see if any local stores carries ESP. Just be sure the location pop-up says ESP and not just Stowaway (landing nets).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a 7 ft ugly stick I could probably turn loose for that price. lol

Post Thanks / Like

St croix avid, eyecon, premier or pan fish series would be worth a look........ a light / fast action should be a pretty decent "all around" rod.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish G Loomis hard to beat

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

2 rods that you should look at before you buy. One is a gimme in that it doesn't come anywhere close to your budget, the Shakespeare Micro Graphite in 7' light action. At $18 it should be in the box for heavier jigs and the popular jig and float technique. With 6lb line it casts a 1/16th jig very well. I have 2, and have broken 2 through no fault of the rod and replaced them both at my cost. I like them that much.
    The other is the St.Croix 66LF premier grade. When you look at this, get a 2000 series reel like the President you speak of and feel the balance at action of the rod, and I believe you will be as pleased as I was. A soft tip and good backbone in the middle make this featherweight a real winner. Haven't pulled the trigger on one yet but it is at the top of my "Next Rod" list. A trip to BPS to look at the different actions available in the Crappie Maxx series that they carry. Different length and actions from one end of the spectrum to the other. Whatever you buy, don't spend a dime until you hold it in your hand and judge for yourself. There are lots to choose from and opinions and actions differ greatly. Good hunting.....Skeet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Bobo Greybeard LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Berkley Cherrywood from Walmart I paid $22 dollars for that i added a Pfluger President 6920 to and i love it. it is 7 ft long and is sensitive and I landed a 6 lb catfish with it with no problem. Probably cheaper than you're looking for but thought I would share with you.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw some post's recently from a couple of guys on Texas board. They were using Boneheads rod and gave it really good reviews. I would just call him cause I think it is available just not on the site. You might also post your question on the Texas board, I'm sure those guys will chime in.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cabelas has a sale on their rod's hope this helps!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a co-worker who is also a crappie.com member that just purchased and brought into work for us to check out a St. Croix Panfish special. I liked the way that rod felt, it just felt right to me. It was under $150.00 I believe. I have a # of combo's, but my current go to outfit is a Fenwick River Runner Elite 6'8" light with a Shimano CI4 2500. Personal preference is always controversial, I say whatever it takes to keep your confidence up, and you can afford.
    Most men spend their entire life fishing, without realizing its not the fish they are after!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast