Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crappie spoons

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie spoons

Looking for a good affordable crappie spoon.

I was told the Acme Kastmaster 1/12 nickel is a very good spoon.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

Wahoo makes a nice looking jigging spoon for around $3 at cabelas, I really like the rapala jigging raps also. I also bought some nice ones off ebay under icefishing spoons. If I run into you I will show you my crappie jigging spoon collection. Will be over fishing next Thursday thru Sunday. I sure like using spoons for suspended schools feeding on shad, a technique I wished I used more and probably should, I really enjoy it. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mark. I will check them out and FYI if our weather man is right you won't be fishing stockton next weekend.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

Janns,netcraft has 1/4 and 1/2 ,you can buy 5 for about 6.00 dollars,just ordered some .looks like a hopkins,i have use them many times
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that size doesn't matter for crappie. They will eat big as well as small. I have used some of the small spoons and had a good hookup ratio but a low landing ratio. The hooks on the small jigs, like the 1/12 especially, tore loose while soft lining the fish from deep water. I think upsizing the hooks would be needed to increase the landing ratio. The hit isn't always a thump either. A lot of times it just got heavy or felt different. I didn't do well putting large jumps into the action like I have seen used for White Bass. Drifting them through a school with 1 or 2 inch rod tip bumps worked best for me. 1/4oz Johnson silver minnow looked good to me, and I bought some, but haven't used em yet. Very easy to change hooks on those also.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

The 1/12 oz. KastMasters are great crappie and bluegill spoons. I replace the trebles with #6 ring eye, single hooks. Loose very few fish. The 1/16 oz. & 1/8 oz. Swedish Pimples are excellent as well. I fish all these on a 7' light action spinning rod/reel set-up. Using 6# test Fireline for the main line with a 2' - 3' fluoro leader, also 6# test. This combo casts great and with a slow reel/drop retrieve you'll catch more than your share, for sure!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Centurion LIKED above post