PDA

View Full Version : One step forward, two steps backward. Crappie.com Software Problems

Slab
12-13-2013, 03:03 AM
I upgraded the Data Base, pretty much because I had to. The Data Base software I was running was at a release level that was no longer supported and security patches would not longer get applied until I upgraded it. So, I done did it and it BROKE! The home page is down and there will likely be links that are broken as well. I had to turn off vBSEO after the upgrade cause the whole site would not work. vBSEO automatically changed URL and optimized the site for search engines. It was a good thing, but now I have to figure out how to fix it or get around it. And I'm not sure why the home page won't display anymore. doh

it's already been a long night......well at least we're able to post

barrelslime
12-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Go get em tiger you can do it!

DRPEPPER
12-13-2013, 08:51 AM
OH!!
I thought we had messed up good on the WOT. Thanks for the info and your hard work.
DP

Scrapper
12-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the update Slab! I was on last night when it went down...easy enough to go to link you made. Thanks for all the hard work!

Did it have anything to do with Windows not offering anymore patches or updates for XP?? I heard that a couple weeks ago. Stinks that they are going to force everyone into windows 8. Boss has it, I'm not a fan. I do like 7 though. Maybe I'd like 8 if I gave it a chance... :dono

Cane Pole
12-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Glad you got fingered out before I logged on this morning. I was irate from laptop shopping yestiddy.

jimfish
12-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Guess you ans. my question, couldn't log on this am.

Slab
12-13-2013, 10:46 AM
There are still some parts of the site that are broken.

A thing called vBSEO is broke and will likely not be revived. The "Likes" system was part of that. So no more "Likes" till I find a replacement.

vBSEO also modified URLs, so most all the internal links to other crappie.com pages will probably be broke. You may have to do "Search" to find that page if you really want to view it. Use the Google Custom Search in the upper right corner.

We're getting some PHP error messages on some pages, names the home page articles and some others. This is a priority and what I'm working on right now.

There's also a Performance Enhancement piece of software that's broke behind the scenes. I should be able to fix that but it's probably the last of my worries for now. I think we'll be OK for now. We'll see tonight when we have the most users online, but I don't think we'll need the performance fix in place for a bit.

If I've learned anything I've learned not to do any software upgrades on Friday the 13th anymore! lol

clfarms1
12-13-2013, 10:48 AM
are you the head goober working on obamacare website?

Slab
12-13-2013, 10:55 AM
are you the head goober working on obamacare website?

Now you got to go ahead and insult me! I'm sure I coulda done a better job than that implementation. Not by myself, but with the right people, I coulda got it right the first time!

btw, lets not turn this political. IT's a computer thread! lol

clfarms1
12-13-2013, 10:59 AM
I know I know, it was just meant to be a joke not a political statement, so lets have everyone remember that.

ScottV
12-13-2013, 11:06 AM
I know this stuff is a headache Ed. As of now my Tap a Talk app works but the Forum Runner app doesn't. A message comes up saying that the server sent an unknown response. Thanks for the hard work.

Scrapper
12-13-2013, 11:08 AM
I know I know, it was just meant to be a joke not a political statement, so lets have everyone remember that.

We know it was a joke, and not intended to be a cut in any way. I'm sure slab is stressed to the max about this so jokes probably won't go over the best right now. I couldn't imagine the stress of having a site that you are in charge of go down when you have 1000's itching to get their stuff put on it!

One thing about it, you can SURE see what a great thing you have Slab when so many get upset when its gone for a bit...even a little bit.

I compare it to not having my cup of coffee in the morning...the rest of the day is just SHOT. I was on last night and and it just went down...needless to say...I just went to bed. The night was done. lol.

Slab
12-13-2013, 11:11 AM
So, just for my own sanity I found this on one of the vB message forums-

VBSEO is totally gone.

Wed 30th Oct '2013, 5:51pm
Hello everybody

as you all probably know VBSEO is definitively gone.
Even the website and the "support" forum is down (from yesterday i guess).

So I think everybody is going to remove from all the installation of VB4 due the absence of any support or updates.

Isn't that nice. A software company we've used here for years, just disappears. Now we have no "Likes" system and we got a ton of broken links. I just wanted to document this here for myself so that now I can close the door on that software and figure out how to address those broken links. If you look, every link from Google Searches don't work anymore! This is a disaster for me!

Slab
12-13-2013, 11:19 AM
No offense taken guys. Just frustrating stuff we'll get through. Site might act weird, I'm updating the xml sitemap for the search engines. Gonna run for a while I'm sure. We'll see if this fixes google and the other search engines.

strmwalker
12-13-2013, 11:19 AM
If you look, every link from Google Searches don't work anymore! This is a disaster for me!
Ed,
what link from Google searches are you talking about ?

Slab
12-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Ed,
what link from Google searches are you talking about ?

I'm talking about if you go to google and search for something crappie related that brings up crappie.com in its results. All their links to us are broken. I resubmitted the "sitemap" to them, hopefully it'll work again soon.

strmwalker
12-13-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm talking about if you go to google and search for something crappie related that brings up crappie.com in its results. All their links to us are broken. I resubmitted the "sitemap" to them, hopefully it'll work again soon.
OK thanks !!

bflowers
12-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Ed, thank you very much for your hard work and dedication to making this site work so well.. We appreciate you.

Since I cant read about the members catching I think I will just go fishing. lol

THANK YOU!!! :HandsClapping:HandsClapping:HandsClapping

Lotech Joe
12-13-2013, 11:51 AM
I just googled crappie and it showed our link. I clicked on the link and our site came up. Something worked.

REDBOAT
12-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Have you tried "Turning it off and back on again?" :cheers2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8

Slab
12-13-2013, 12:24 PM
I just googled crappie and it showed our link. I clicked on the link and our site came up. Something worked.

The home page will work, but a search to a sub page (inside a forum) still don't work for me, and my google webmasters still is saying the sitemap update I requested is "pending".

Lotech Joe
12-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Have you tried "Turning it off and back on again?" :cheers2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8

Turning what off and back on? I shut my computer down and turned it back on. Then I logged out, then back in. I typed crappie in my google search window and everything came back up again.

barrelslime
12-13-2013, 12:34 PM
REBOOT!!!!! LOL That's my go to fix for all things computer.................................

fishingpox
12-13-2013, 04:53 PM
And I bet you think that blankety blank Pox has messed things up again?

OH!!
I thought we had messed up good on the WOT. Thanks for the info and your hard work.
DP

Slab
12-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I'm still working on things so there might be hiccups, like we just had a few minutes ago. I think it's going to be another long night.

Slab
12-13-2013, 05:29 PM
I stopped for now and have turned off some of the overhead of URL re-writes for now. That's something that I want to use to fix the broken links. It should work, I just have to figure out how to do it. I'm leaving the system alone till after around 10:30 central time tonight. Hopefully we make it through our peak period which is about 7-9pm.

prefers shiners
12-13-2013, 06:27 PM
don't know if anyone mentioned this but everyone may have to delete and reset their shortcuts to the site......

Slab
12-13-2013, 07:58 PM
don't know if anyone mentioned this but everyone may have to delete and reset their shortcuts to the site......

Yep, those with "shortcuts", or "favorites" have to. I'm working on a fix specifically for that, but it don't look promising at this point.

Anyone out there know how to code a .htaccess mod_rewrite rule? I'm learning on the fly!

ehall
12-13-2013, 08:23 PM
I am a recent new member of crappie.com and am nuts about it! I spend 2-4 hrs a day on it, it is a wealth of information on all things crappie. I have met a number of terrific folks on here and have purchased products do to the fact they were available through this site. My point in all of this is to simply say Thank you for all of the hard work and effort behind the scenes. I really appreciate it. E.

DrNip
12-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Did you try up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, start? Worked for 100 lives in Contra? rotfl

papadave
12-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Yep, those with "shortcuts", or "favorites" have to. I'm working on a fix specifically for that, but it don't look promising at this point.

Anyone out there know how to code a .htaccess mod_rewrite rule? I'm learning on the fly!

Wish I could help ..... Just went back to review my notes on mod_rewrite and got a little nauseous. YUK!
I feel for ya Slab, I been there, it ain't fun. I miss the paycheck but not the stress, retire as soon as ya can man, it really is "all that ".

Scrapper
12-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Did you try up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, start? Worked for 100 lives in Contra? rotfl

Showing your age!! lol. And HOW MANY HOURS DID I SPEND ON THAT GAME?!?!?!? lol. With my BIG honking Nintendo Advantage controller on the floor. And we think kids with smart phones and facebook are bad?? They got nothing on us and the Nintendo era!! lol.

fishervet
12-13-2013, 10:31 PM
are you the head goober working on obamacare website?too funny

Special K
12-13-2013, 10:47 PM
I noticed my quick links to the NC Forum page did not work today at some point. All I did was recopy what I thought was a new url and re post it to the link, because I thought the link url was some different... and it has worked fine ever since. I had to do this on both my home and office computers. I don't know if this will give you some clue... but I hope it does. Simple fix for me... or so it seems... and it seems to be working fine so far. Sometimes these mega search engines scramble stuff to bolster their subscriptions to and loyalty to their stuff. Image that!!!
I am an internet sales manager and website designer by trade and I notice this kind of stuff most often with google and craigslist.

Bobo Greybeard
12-13-2013, 11:39 PM
Slab,

I would just like to take a minute and tell you how grateful I am to you for having this site. Thank you again buddy

Bobo

crappiefarmer
12-14-2013, 07:36 AM

Yes!!! That one saved the day many times!!!!:Rofl:Rofl:RoflCF

DRPEPPER
12-14-2013, 09:02 AM
And I bet you think that blankety blank Pox has messed things up again?

I am having LT withdrawals.
DP

shipahoy41
12-14-2013, 09:09 AM
I upgraded the Data Base, pretty much because I had to. The Data Base software I was running was at a release level that was no longer supported and security patches would not longer get applied until I upgraded it. So, I done did it and it BROKE! The home page is down and there will likely be links that are broken as well. I had to turn off vBSEO after the upgrade cause the whole site would not work. vBSEO automatically changed URL and optimized the site for search engines. It was a good thing, but now I have to figure out how to fix it or get around it. And I'm not sure why the home page won't display anymore. doh

it's already been a long night......well at least we're able to post

Thank you for all you do for all of us Slab. I have no idea what you were talking about but I do know we are in good hands with you at the helm.

DrNip
12-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Showing your age!! lol. And HOW MANY HOURS DID I SPEND ON THAT GAME?!?!?!? lol. With my BIG honking Nintendo Advantage controller on the floor. And we think kids with smart phones and facebook are bad?? They got nothing on us and the Nintendo era!! lol.

Yes!!! That one saved the day many times!!!!:Rofl:Rofl:RoflCF

I was a kid of the 80's and just thought the Contra trick was worth a try! :dono

Cane Pole
12-14-2013, 10:20 AM
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z157/Tlewis38344/stuff/shoer.gif (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/Tlewis38344/media/stuff/shoer.gif.html)

fishingpox
12-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Ed, you have any hair left?

jaxsprat
12-14-2013, 11:31 PM
its all YUK to me:dono:dono

papadave
12-15-2013, 06:26 AM
Looks like you got a like button(of a sort) almost working .... good deal! Don't forget to rest in between .......... caffeine will only get you so far.

RetiredRR
12-16-2013, 12:16 AM
I'm just glad someone has the fortitude and aptitude to do this, cause I am sure lost with all the tech talk.