Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's the Crappie !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where's the Crappie !!!!!!

We been fishing for the last 2 months and have not done any good. Last year at this time we would catch a limit almost every time we went. The bait fish are not there either. We can see the fish but no bites. Whats up!!! Cub48

Post Thanks / Like

I try to get out it least 3 times a week for 2 or 3 hours just to see what going on.The bait fish have showed up finally but the bite is slow unless you like stipe fishing or brim.
    I fish mostly from the bank and notice the boaters catch decent numbers but it's the same boats there every time I show up.Maybe they are keeping certain areas fished out?I know if they keep their fish limits the freezers should be full by now.Over fishing for crappie has always been a problem look at Weiss lake no longer crappie capital.. Guides ,money, greed,over fishing can take a take population of certain species numbers down. I have not caught a limit of crappie this year or last year but many do it all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

On the big G its definetly where the minnows are plus a little current is good but they are still time oriented more so than not early in the morn and late in the evenings and all thru the night if you can stand the cold lately!! Once the sun is up good (645am ) unless you are under a bridge in a boat might as well go warm up and catch up on your sleep after you clean fish of course!! As to the over fishing at Weiss ,that was or is about 30 or 40 % of it but the main culprit in Weiss are those thousands upon thousands of strippers that are cruising looking for a 2 to 6 inch meal .

Post Thanks / Like

dont worry , it has been the same here in tennessee, the places where crappie were stacked last year have very few fish this year,i went out over a week ago and had to work all day for 15 fish, the blugill and shell crackers are better than it has been in 4 or 5 years, with 2 to 300 per day and some over 10 inches long, funny thing the bluegill are in the same place as crappie usually are, i dont know if that has any thing to do with it or not, but they are fun to catch on light tackle

Post Thanks / Like

The crappie moved in slower this year but they are there in some of the areas, like mentioned before timing is a big issue. I have caught several limits.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had muck luck in my usual places either. Been a lot of front changes.
    The truth is hard to accept, so is life .

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing on Elk as well. I fished from 11 till 4 on Thursday and caught nothing. Fished the Sugar creek , Big creek, Elk river mills area. Birds were catching shad everywhere . Water temp was 43 to 46 degrees . Hopefully they will be there later on .

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Went yesterday to Martin , pulled up to a honey hole that usually produces 15-45 fish. One fish and several nibbles. Slow

Post Thanks / Like

Same luck here caught loads of crappie last fall at this time, but just cannot find them this year. Mostly fish Mallard, spring creek & flint creek.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto, finding a few, not near as many as ya'll. Timing & weather seems to be everything. There's a lot of fishing pressure on 'em. We caught a good many small ones in the marina slips, very few keepers tho..Wonder how old a 2 to 2.5# 15" crappie is? Biologists say most of the "keepers" we catch are 4 - 5 years old. What do ya'll think? Their explanation is a poor spawn 3 - 5 yrs back..
    Input your thoughts Please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast