View Poll Results: Measure or Weigh

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Measure Length

16 35.56%
  • Weigh

29 64.44%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to acknowledge a big crappie-Weight of Measure?

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb How to acknowledge a big crappie-Weight of Measure?

I'm just wondering what others think is the best way to proclaim a big fish. Since some states have regulations on size according to length, I have always thought the best way to show off a big fish is to measure it for length.

Panfish and weight just don't seem practical. A big spawned out female is what it is, but a week earlier would have been a lot heavier. Fall fish eating heavily will be heavier than in summer. But their length is mostly the same through out a season.

So I vote for measure the length.

Now tell me why I'm wrong LOL. Really I'd just like to hear others opinions and have a good discussion. Maybe this will be the start of a nationwide movement to stop weighing Crappie and measure their length.........

Post your reason for your vote.
    Last edited by barrelslime; 12-09-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

I normally only weigh a fish if I think it is over two pounds, mostly out of curiosity. If it is a larger than average fish, I will weigh and measure it just for reference. I have caught 14" fish that went 1 3/4lbs(pretty good fish), and I have caught 16" fish that weighed 1 1/2lbs(not so good Imo). If I am wanting to bragg, I do both. Otherwise, no need to measure OR weigh a fish except for size limit-reasons.
    Last edited by Cmj; 12-09-2013 at 06:01 PM.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cmj View Post
    I normally only weigh a fish if I think it is over two pounds, mostly out of curiosity. If it is a larger than average fish, I will weigh and measure it just for reference. I have caught 14" fish that went 1 3/4lbs(pretty good fish), and I have caught 16" fish that weighed 1 1/2lbs(not so good Imo). If I am wanting to bragg, I do both. Otherwise, no need to measure OR weigh a fish except for limit size-reasons.
    That's my point exactly. Weight comes and goes, Length should be the unit for a good fish (speaking for panfish). IMHO
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barrelslime View Post
    That's my point exactly. Weight comes and goes, Length should be the unit for a good fish (speaking for panfish). IMHO
    If someone tells me they caught a 15" fish, my first question is, "What did it weigh?" I don't assume that it is a good fish just because it has length. There are lakes here that a 15" fish would not be very impressive due to its poor health. Other lakes, a healthy 15" fish could go close to 2 1/4lbs. Length alone isn't very telling IMO.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

True but the same is true for weight.
    Theres no wrong or right answer. Thanks for replying..
    Personal Best 17 1/2"

Post Thanks / Like

If its impressive when it comes out of the water it will probably get weighed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barrelslime View Post
    True but the same is true for weight.
    Thanks for replying..
    No problem, that's why I said I do both. I see in your signature that your best Crappie was 17 1/2". What did it weigh??
    Last edited by Cmj; 12-09-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Generally, I only measure to be assured that it's of legal length for the state or lake I'm fishing. I'm of the school of thought that length is for legality, weight is for bragging

There's also a big difference in a fish's weight per length, according to the lake/state it comes from, as well as what season it was caught in. Which of the two species of Crappie it is, can also be a factor.

IMHO ... if it matters enough to know "how big it is", then BOTH measurements are needed, plus which species, since "my 17in fish" may weigh more than "your 17in fish" ... and categorizing them as "equal", on length alone, would not be fair judgement.

... cp
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Most tournaments go by weight.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both
    Likes arkcrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Generally, I only measure to be assured that it's of legal length for the state or lake I'm fishing. I'm of the school of thought that length is for legality, weight is for bragging

There's also a big difference in a fish's weight per length, according to the lake/state it comes from, as well as what season it was caught in. Which of the two species of Crappie it is, can also be a factor.

IMHO ... if it matters enough to know "how big it is", then BOTH measurements are needed, plus which species, since "my 17in fish" may weigh more than "your 17in fish" ... and categorizing them as "equal", on length alone, would not be fair judgement.

... cp
    My thoughts exactly
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast