Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: NanoFil with a slip bobber? Long distance casting jigs with a bobber?

Post Thanks / Like

Default NanoFil with a slip bobber? Long distance casting jigs with a bobber?

i'm fishing from the bank and piers and trying to setup a slip bobber rig that will get out a good ways. my rod on this setup is a 9'6" bass pro microlight and the reel is a pflueger 6930. i stuck some 10# nanofil on there and did a quick rig up just to see if i like it. i probably could use a stiffer rod but i'll try to stick with this one until i think get to that part of the problem. so my question is about the nanofil and the slip bobber.

i was folding my rod and with a some pressure on the line and it snapped right about 3 inches above the swivel right where the bobber probably would ride most it's time. this is making me think a bobber is wearing out the line prematurely and would cause me some problems no matter what i did. i'm just wondering if anybody else is using nanofil with a bobber and having a problem. this is my first time with nanofil but i have some 6# fireline that took some trial and error for me to get sync'd up with. i realize this is just part of the learning process so i'm fine with that if that's the case. but if this nanofil is going to wear out under the bobber no matter what then it won't do to send it way out there and hook a fish on with line thats compromised. i'd just rather not loose a fish or my tackle like that.

actually, also any advice on a distance setup that doesn't require me to spend a more $$$ would be welcomed at this point. the bp rod is still pretty new so i could probably exchange it if there was a better option equal in value. i also have both a 10' AND 12' sam heaton but use those for jigging. figure the micro lite would do for distance and that the eye setup would do better for casting. i'd take it back to bp (probably tired of me doing that though) if there was something else that might work a little better. at the time i was thinking this rod would do double duty for jigging and casting but really i'm looking for a setup that will get me out there.

while i'm thinking about it... i actually have about 15 or so different rods and was sort of close to hitting the distances with a pflueger echelon reel and abu garcia vedetta rod. havent tried it in a while but after a few good casts my line was knotting up midway and it just wasnt worth it. this was all before i went out and bought the braided lines. just thinking it out loud... i forgot that have 300 yards of 10# stren braid i found on sale. i saw good review on this stuff. i have to wonder if maybe this would be the ticket to getting some distance without the knots. only been fishing a year and a half so i'm still acquiring technics and preference (meaning still spending $$$$ lol...).

thanks for any advice....

Post Thanks / Like

If you believe the bobber is the culprit, try the ESB bobber. I switched to them last year after a friend gave me some, and I wouldn't use anything else. Here's the link: The Everlasting Slip Bobber - the world's finest slip bobber!. Check their website.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lazi View Post
    actually, also any advice on a distance setup that doesn't require me to spend a more $$$ ...
    How about just a little more money? Get a few of the bigger Thill wagglers. They require a lot of weight to balance. Therefore, you can cast 'em a country mile.

Post Thanks / Like

Just keep an eye on that area...the Nanofil will fray if it is wearing...I use heavier Nanofil and it can look like split ends and still hold strong, maybe you had a nick...Like Buzzsaw said, there are different brands of slip bobbers with smooth holes or brass inserts so they don't eat your line up!

Post Thanks / Like

Not a huge fan of Nanofil for this application really. Any abrasion and it can fail.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking maybe some different bobbers. I awas thinking about the egg shaped balsa wood bobbers it afrom bass pro. maybe those and that stren braid would give me the enough to get out there.

i'm just not trying to spend over $20 more since im thinking i just need to dial in the gear i have. i actually have a pack of 17# nanofil and sone other lines i co u ld try but wasn't sure any of it would be right for this application. read that nano casts but I never saw anything about bobbers.