PDA

View Full Version : Why crappie?

djackson234
10-20-2006, 02:29 PM
The Bass Resource homepage has a post on it asking why you fish for bass over other species. I think we need to do the same but for crappie. Why do you fish for crappie instead of other species? Now I am sure people on here fish for other things too, but why focus on crappie and are there people who fish ONLY for crappie and NOTHING else? Lets here some good reasons why crappie fishing is the most enjoyable and rewarding fishing.

crappiechappy
10-20-2006, 02:49 PM
I think 2 popular answers will be because of their huge numbers in most bodies of water and because of their great taste once placed on a dinner plate.

tarheel
10-20-2006, 02:55 PM
#1) I have never gone out and gotten skunked when crappie fishing
#2) Tastes Great
#3) Less filling......... I mean goes good with beer.

Wiskers
10-20-2006, 02:59 PM
The Bass Resource homepage has a post on it asking why you fish for bass over other species. I think we need to do the same but for crappie. Why do you fish for crappie instead of other species? Now I am sure people on here fish for other things too, but why focus on crappie and are there people who fish ONLY for crappie and NOTHING else? Lets here some good reasons why crappie fishing is the most enjoyable and rewarding fishing.
Biggest 2 reasons for me are; 1. It reminds me of some great times with my Grandpa. 2. Seeing the look on my dad's face when he drags in a SLAB!:D

guest01
10-20-2006, 03:03 PM
I got the crappie bug,
best tasteing

economical to fish for ($15 each for luckycraft-yozuri )

great when you get into a big school

love it when I reel in a nice bass in front of a bass fisherman on crappie tackle

do it with a cane pole instead of 150 doller rod with a 150 doller reel.

crappie fisherman and fisherwoman most of the time have better maners on the lake and off.( no need to buzz by me doing 70mph, I know you have a nice boat, but when your at work paying for that nice boat I will be on the lake catch-n a cooler full, not just 5):D

and I just love em:D :D

snal
10-20-2006, 03:07 PM
1) Lots of em!
2) Beats the pants off of casting all day
3) Taste great (anything tastes great w/beer)
4) Relieves stress

jimfish
10-20-2006, 03:13 PM
they eat better than those green carp!!!!

1weezer
10-20-2006, 03:19 PM
1. Crappie are smarter than bass.
2. Crappie taste better than bass.
3. Crappie are more fun to catch than bass.
4. The thrill of the hunt is more fun than bass.
5. Crappie anglers are more fun to be with than bass anglers.
I could go on and on and on.

jerho
10-20-2006, 03:27 PM
1-Crappie taste better.
2-crappie fisherman are more friendly.
3-I'm retired and I like to relax when fishing,I don't want to stand a cast all day.
4-I can't spend, (or won't spend) the kind of money green carp fishermand do.

painterfish
10-20-2006, 03:40 PM
bass fishing to much like business dont take time to think and relax thow in the taste no comparison

fiddlefarter
10-20-2006, 03:56 PM
1.Mostly because it's relaxing.
2.I like to eat 'em
3.Don't have to wear the stupid clothes with companies ads all over them to look good crappie fishing.
4. Makes me remember good times with my family
5.My bass fishing friends could NEVER catch more crappie than me so they put down crappie fishing to make themselves look better (Truth is some of them were having a friendly bass tournament last spring. I told them I'd fish in it if they'd let me weigh 10 crappie. They refused, said I was stupid. They fished that day and it sucked for them. I crappie fished and would have easily beat them)

Don't get me wrong I like to bass fish too but around here its so crowded I get mad at the other idiots. I don't mind it at night,or in the rain, or if I go down to the TN river south of Perryville. Then bass fishing is fun again.

Ken Kinser
10-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Crappie fisherman are friendly
more abundant in water
fun to catch
whole lot different tactic's catching crappie and bluegill than bass
get action not cast all day

SteveJ
10-20-2006, 04:06 PM
As an old basser I have to say as I have grown quite old it is much more relaxing than bassing, that can be work if you tournament fish but still it's more stressful than crappie, less expense lure and tackle wise for me. I also think they may be easier to pattern daily. I do think, except for a flathead, a spot caught out of running water is a great taste. I do like a firmer meat, I how cut my crappie up in small finger size. Can anyone tell me how to firm up frozen crappie.

NIMROD
10-20-2006, 04:45 PM
I think 2 popular answers will be because of their huge numbers in most bodies of water and because of their great taste once placed on a dinner plate.
I'll have to agree on that . It's also more relaxing than sling'n a bass bait all day.:D

skiptomylu
10-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Bass fishing got to hard physically for me and always did like crappie fishing too. So sold my bass boat and wanted more relaxing type fishing. It's a plus on how the eat too.

They are easy to find, catch and good to eat so what's not to like.

Probably should have kept my bass boat and just crappie fished out of it.

Phantom309
10-20-2006, 07:07 PM
I gave up bass fishing years ago for salt water, (reds/trout/sheepshead/flounder.
However, about four years ago a buddy turned me on to Crappie fishing. I enjoyed the layed back/ kicked back slow and relaxing style (throw out the corks and pop open a beer (after morning coffee). and have never gotten over it, especially when I catch a mess of nice slabs.
But, I also have a line out for catfish !
It doesn't even enter my mind as to trying for bass.

Darryl Morris
10-20-2006, 07:24 PM
I agree with all the reasons given so far. Personally, when I started crappie fishing, it was because I was tired of NOT catching any fish. My boys were getting older and I saw they were growing tired of fishing and not catching. I found Jerry Blake's website and read that a good guide is a teacher. I hired him to teach me how to crappie fish. The rest is history. He ruint me on it so bad, I now work alongside him guiding and teaching others how to crappie fish. I couldn't ask for a better life and I owe it all to three things -- the wonder fish called crappie, my best friend Jerry Blake and all those years of high stress corporate management that now make me appreciate it even more today.

The bass fishing industry brings in the money and is definitely presented more glamorously, but the last time I saw some statistics about panfishermen we out numbered them almost 10 to 1. Yes, it's true that one can start crappie fishing for much less money than for ole green carp, but major manufacturers and retailers are starting to take notice. That's good for us all. The more competition there is in product whether tackle, lure, electronics, etc. the better the products will become and the better the price for us in the long run.

Lastly, I grew up catfishing the banks of the Pecos River in eastern NM. I hope to leave a better legacy and tradition with my boys that's centered around crappie fishing.

crappiencali
10-20-2006, 08:00 PM
I fish for almost every speicies of fish that I can but I really enjoy fishing for crappie the most.

1. You can take your family out and all of you can catch a large quantity of fish.

2. One of the best tasting fresh water fish. Followed by walleye and catfish.

3. The gear is cheap. Unless you like spending half your paycheck on 2 rod and reel combos.

4. They taste great with some hush puppies, cole slaw and a ice cold Miller lite.

Finally my daughter loves to catch them so that's why I focus more on crappie than any other fish.

DHanis_Dude
10-20-2006, 08:35 PM
I started fishing for crappie because I'm not good at it and I like the challenge. Being a good bass fisherman is easy compared to being a good crappie fishermnan.....at least for me anyway.

I'm learning though!

-Arnie

GRIZZ
10-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Bass fishing is so commercial and though I believe the industry is still growing, its a bit dull and redundant. I think there is an explosion ahead for crappie fishing as more and more people discover the delights of crappie fishing.

Personally, I think crappie fishing is challenging. At least the way I do it with all artificials. The great beauty and enjoyment of nature is at least half of why I love fishing so much. We only get one chance to live life and too many people waste it working all the time and running around like rats in a maze trying to keep up with the Joneses. Crappie fishing is the perfect activity for relaxation and enjoying the outdoors with hours of relaxing fun interspersed with moments of frenzy and excitement when you have that paper mouthed slab trying to rip its own lips off before you get your grip on his lower jaw or when you find a cloud of slabs and your nailin em.

Then there is the beauty of the fish. There isn't a prettier fresh water fish that swims, trout included in my book. You lift a healthy 2lb crappie out of the water after a hard fight and just take a good long look at it before you toss it back in the lake or the bucket. They are beautiful.

There is something addicting about crappie fishing. I enjoy fishing for several other species as well, but if I have the chance to hunt down a school of crappies and start slammin them I'll leave the rest behind.

I must also admit I love the challenge of trying to be a better crappie fisherman than anyone out there. While the top ranks of bass fishing are overstuffed with the elite, there is definately room at the top in crappie fishing. There is quite a bit of skill in finding them then outsmarting them. I love to drift in amoung a group of boats catching one once in a while and just smackin them. I know that must sound a bit prideful but its so dang fun.

There are many other reasons I like crappie fishing including what I said above, people, the memories and all the new tackle, lures, boats and stuff, but when it comes down to it, its just fun.

krappiekrazy
10-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Can`t remember not fishing for crappie. My dad (and best friend) carried me as long as I can remember. He would shout "holdum hook" everytime he set the hook. He didn`t care how many boats were around. He just loved to catch crappie. Dad passed away in 98. I do alot of fishing alone now and you might hear me shout "holdum hook" from time to time.

Don`t eat many fish, just love the thump!

GRIZZ
10-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Don`t eat many fish, just love the thump!

Yeah!

abarkley
10-20-2006, 09:27 PM
cheaper to fish for than bass and tastier too. crappie meat in the freezer is like gold, and my freezer is like fort knox. you ain't getting in there unless you got something good to trade, and it better not be deer or duck. i love and i mean love to hear the deer and duck hunters beg for the slabs. i tell them," boys, ya'll need a new hobby."

eastkycrappie
10-20-2006, 09:31 PM
For me it was because I grew up Crappie fishing more than for Bass. As a youngster it was never just me and Dad out there it was the 2 of us my mom and my sister. When you are bass fishing that can get a little crowded but not that bad for Crappie. Now that I have kids of my own it is better because they are young and not very patient yet so when you can get on a school of crappie or in a good mess of crappie they are not bored and are ready to go back out when we are done.

Jerry Blake
10-20-2006, 09:32 PM
1) It gets me out of the house!

2) I would just as soon eat crappie than just about any kind of meat or seafood.

skiptomylu
10-20-2006, 10:00 PM
I forgot I did take 11 years in Ingleside (near Corpus) and didn't put a hook in fresh water for that entire time. My entire life was fishing both fresh and salt water since I grew up in Orange Texas. We fished inshore salt water as well as offshore and every lake including the little lake at our local country club. That was where I really caught my first slab and that little lake/pond had some trophy size slabs in it as well as bass and bluegill. Back then we would keep big stringers of what we caught and would have family fish fries.

MY time in or near Corpus was great chasing them reds and trout, but when I got back to Orange in 1993 I was back up here at Toledo Bend. I think I would fish for anything that will stretch my line, just love catching fish!

But as I got older at the ripe old age of about 18 I focused on bass. I really had it bad. There was a stretch of time of about 10 years after Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn came in that a couple of friends and I cam every weekend except in the winter. We would get up here in the late afternoon and fish all night and most of the next day and then drive home 90 miles South. We started night fishing when no one was fishing at night except crappie fishermen. We had his huge lake to our selves for something like 7 years before they came up with local bass clubs and they learned they could catch bass at night. Was great wile it lasted, LOL!

Anyway I told you guys that I focused on crappie after I really couldn't physically stand on the bow of that boat and fish all day. So now I fish at ease and Short trips and catch all the crappie I can stand with a few catfish thrown in to boot.

Memories huh? I started getting hooked on artificial baits as a teenager and never stopped!

zappaf19
10-21-2006, 07:21 AM
They tasted the best!:D YUM
Bill

fryguy
10-21-2006, 07:30 AM
i fish for everything according to seasons. smallies in the rivers in summer, walleye in the fall, bucketmouths in the winter, and crappie in the spring. i dont' stick to this schedule strictly or anything, but those are the guidelines. when i want to hang out and B.S. i'll fish for crappie. when i want the serenity that comes with walking in a gin clear river and hunting my pray, i fish smallies. everything has a benefit. the big difference is i have never found fishing forum with as many great people on it!
*and come one, walleye are the best tasting fish ever!

grizzly
10-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Crappie are not the only fish I go after. I probably split 95% of my time fishing between crappie and flathead catfish. I enjoy the easy laid back crappie fishing, I don't take anything to serious anymore. Since I broke my back in 2002 I can't work at it hard anymore. Now, even 1/2 day of trolling lays me up for a day or 2. Most of the crappie I caught in the spring were from a chair on the sides of ditches, at one place 72 in 3 days and over 1/2 weighed over 1&1/2 lbs. All in all, its casual fishing. grizzly

Kenlake slab
10-21-2006, 08:38 PM
I do fish for bass some but abougt 75% of my fishing time goes for crappie. Some of my earliest memories of fishing are at reelfoot lake with my father, brother and uncle. I remember catching large numbers of fish and that will always keep kids interested. We didn't know anything about gps or putting out crappie condos, we just enjoyed fishing with multiple cane poles using minnows for bait. Some things have changed, today I have a big bass boat instead of a reelfoot lake boat, more expensive tackle, I fish more places, but the joy is still the same when I catch fish with my kids and grandkids. I hope when they are all grown, that they will fish for crappie.

cheez
10-22-2006, 04:55 AM
I like to cook for lots of people and crappie is the best for that.
They are tons-o-fun to catch on 2# line.
It don't hurt too bad losing a crappie jig to a brushpile.
You can take kids crappie fishing and everyone has fun.

crappiequeennc
10-22-2006, 05:11 AM
Started fishing for crappie out of the creek when I was just a kid..I had an old 5 gallon bucket,with a lid on it....I put all my stuff in there and would head to the creek ...When I got there, all I had to do was take my tackle out of the bucket and I had my seat...When I was through fishing I just put my fish in the bucket and carried them home...When I would get home I remember my mom always telling me how good I done..So I fish for crappie because you don't have to spend a fortune to have fun catching them...You don't have to have any special bait...I have even caught crappie using a piece of ham one day...If they are there and they are hungry...You will catch them...:D

bugman
10-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Cause my grandma got me hooked on it when i was a young un and the thrill of catching the most awesome fish that swims has never subsided even after all these years.

fishin3
10-22-2006, 05:53 PM
I fish!!! I fish for bass, crappie, catfish, strip, panfish, trout, and every chance I get salt water. I just love being on the water. Even when my boat is getting waked by a crappie fisherman going too close to my boat while he is puttering by or a bass fisherman doing 70 mph by my boat. I have been told to get off some one brush pile by boat types. I fish cause I love it and that is what I fish for.

saluki
10-23-2006, 06:45 AM
Fall and winter fishin. I've had very little luck w/bass when its cold. I'll break ice with my boat to get to my crappie spots. Dont like the hot summers where I live, especially cooking on a boat.

crappie lover ken
10-23-2006, 09:18 AM
i can still remember the fish time i went crappie fishing. it was with my grandfather and i was 6 years old. i was cold and i didn't care it was the first time i had ever gone anywhere with just my papa. i can remember drifting down the creek all day man it was boring but i loved catchign fish and spending time with him. ever since that day i would go fishing with my papa every weekend and always for crappie. i'd go fishing with my dad also for bass that was fun but never as much fun as bringing in a 2lbs crappie on ultra light rod or a cane pole. i've been crappie fishing now for over 24 years and it always puts a smile on my face. and i can honestly say that in 24 years i've only gone crappie fishing twice when i caught less than 15 fish and i've never been when i didn't catch a fish. i fish with 15 to 30 dollar spinning combos from wal-mart or i also have some cheap fly rods i use i don't have to spend thousands of dollars to go crappie fishing like those bass guys. i go out relax have fun with a friend or my wife even. i think if everyone went crappie fishing just once in there life they'd fall in love with it just like i have. . bass fisherman go out and might catch a few good fish and come back home and feel tired and just glad to be back home to get some rest,crappie fisherman and women come home and think man i can't wait to get back out on the lake.:D

p.s no better eaten than some fried crappie and homemade french fries.

fishindaddyo
10-23-2006, 10:43 AM
I enjoy the ease of which you can lug crappie gear around. I love my Light -Med. rods and thin diameter line. I catch more fish when I crappie fish than when I "bass" fish. I mean anything can hit a 1.5 inch slider whereas nothing but a bass can hit a 6.5 inch worm or 5 inch swimbait. I also love that most of the best crappie waters are trolling motor only. There's something about not fouling the water up with gas that's comforting to me. I've yet to have a 30-50 fish day like msot of my VA pals talk about but I reckon my day is coming. Until then I enjoy slingin small baits and hauling portable rods that don't kill my arms after casting all day. I'm still waiting on that fish fry with C-Rex to decide if I think slabs make good tablefare. ;)

djackson234
10-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Some really good posts and stories. I really got hooked fishing for bluegills at my grandparents retirement village in NJ. There was a dock and all you had to do was drop a hook with anything on it and bang-a huge bluegill. I have never again seen bluegills this big. Easily 2lbs+. I would catch 15-20 in an hour. Got bored though as I was a typical youngster entering my teenage years, wanted more excitement. So I switched to bass and stayed until this year. I got tired of catching maybe 1 bass a week to catchin 15 crappie and some bass per day. A jig suspended under a bobber was like the second coming to me. Now I never know what I will catch but I know I will catch SOMETHING. I can remember my first crappie-a small pond here in PA, it hit a yellow/chart roadrunner just as it got close to the bank. Hammered it with lightning quickness. I was shocked and as hooked as the fish was. I hope some day to take my son crappie fishing, he is 6 months old now. I can't wait to be able to teach him all that i now know. I expecially agree with everyone on the cost factor, you can catch so many crappie on one tube when you lose a senko each time a bass hits. The cost difference is huge if you include all factors. Now of course when I get to the lake and I see a largemouth patrolling the area I will of course try and catch him, just for the thrill of the fight on my ultralight. But after that its jig and bobber or a weedless slider. Good luck to all.

Darryl Morris
10-23-2006, 06:41 PM
Hey there Crappie Lover Ken, you ever find your way through Arkansas, DEFINITELY, look me up if you can stop long enough for some fishing or just to hoist one up. I see you're in the Corps. I, myself, 1983-1988, Quantico, Diego Garcia and Camp Lejeune. I had it easy as a cold-war vet and I'll always make time for a brother.

Slipcork
10-23-2006, 09:17 PM
I remember when my Dad and I, a friend of ours and his son went to lake Nimrod and we went spider riggin and we stayed in his new 1976 truck. we cought about 60 nice crappies on old cane poles and minnows. That is how I got hooked on these fish.

Anyone can beat the banks for them old green carps.

CK14
10-23-2006, 10:44 PM
around here (washington) there isn't to many good crappie waters. and the ones that are good don't hold to many big fish (12" is a big fish, 12"+ fish are very rare). so i like to fish for them because of the challenge. and the rewarding feeling after your hard work finally pays off. not so much for table fare..... thats what perch are for :D :D :D

CrappiePappy
10-24-2006, 07:52 AM
My "paw" :

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/crappiepappy/GrandPaknewhow.jpg

He and my Grandmother were Crappie fishing fanatics, back in their day. And, since I was raised by them, from 5th Grade til I was drafted ... I got to go along, too. :D Never regretted a single trip ... even when we didn't catch much. Still feel that way, even today. ... cp

mighty
10-24-2006, 08:16 AM
I am addicted to the thump
they taste good
and can be challenging to find
and why not beats bass fishing, although I like to that too.