Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: jig sizes

Post Thanks / Like

Default jig sizes

Sorry if this has already been covered. How many of ya'll fish with 1/8 ounce jigs? When is it best to fish and where in the water column?

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually, let the depth the fish are at dictate the weight I use. Also IMHO line weight will dictate to some extent. ie if the fish are 25' in 43 FOW
    I am not going to be trying to get a 1/16 down to them. 90% of the time I use 2, 1/8 jigs on 1 pole.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to get a jig box tied for my Dad for Christmas and all I have left is 1/8 ouncers until Bobo gets some smaller ones poured. He lives by Tenkiller and fishes for Bass but said if he was rigged up he would hunt for crappie. So, what better way to get him going? Many thanks Redge. Stay warm!

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

You might want to hustle up some 1/4 also, he will get good use out of them this winter when the fish are deep. Heck tell Bobo to give you some of mine that he has poured, I don't mind, and it's not like I am going to use them all up very soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/8th ounce almost exclusively in the spring or really anytime I know the crappie are putting the feedbag on. Under a bobber and usually when they are shallow. I figure they are shallow for a reason and that's to eat let's give them a bigger bait profile. With that being said, this fall I watched a 1/16 ounce jig out fish an 1/8th ounce on this same pattern. I probably pack too much for my fishing trips, but I don't like to be out fished due to lack of options. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, pretty much rule dead of winter out for pop. He doesn't stray too far from the fireplace these days! Probably late Feb./ March before that boa gets wet again!

litewirehooker is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Been fishing channel at Lake Talquin in Fl........using 1/8 and doing better with 1/4
    http://litewirehooks.com/
    [email protected]
    Every day you do not fish will be one day less you have to fish