Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Thinking about trying dock shooting.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking about trying dock shooting.....

and currently reading a lot about it on-line, epically the equipment used and the rod length choices varies between 4.5' to 7', any suggestions on a rod purchase for dock shooting?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wade2131 View Post
    and currently reading a lot about it on-line, epically the equipment used and the rod length choices varies between 4.5' to 7', any suggestions on a rod purchase for dock shooting?
    ... the great variation in rod lengths, lines used, baits used, etc. should tell you that it basically all boils down to personal preference.

I've tried several different rod lengths, from 5' to 8', and settled on a 5'6" ESP UL for the majority of my dock shooting. That being said, I don't hesitate to use my 6'6" ESP Powerlite rod ... if I happen to have it in hand.

When I learned about this method, about 14yrs ago, the person that taught me the basics was using a 6'6" med action "bass" rod

I would suggest a rod length between 5' & 6'6" ... your choice of parabolic bend or fast action tip ... UL to Med Lite range ... but, more importantly, a wide/long spool spinning reel that balanced the rod out. You should be able to stick out your finger and lay the very front edge of the handle on it, and the rod/reel should be balanced enough to stay on your finger. Since you're going to be holding the outfit in your hand, extended in front of you for long periods of time, you don't want a tip heavy outfit that will strain your wrist. And even though the tiny & UL reels are fun to use, their small spools can decrease your shooting distance. You may be better off with a wide spool reel or "long cast" reel, even if it's slightly larger & heavier ... as long as it balances well with the rod you're using.

Here's some more "reading" for you : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/searc...archid=2374913 (* taken from Advanced Search ... Keyword = shooting ... User Name = crappiepappy )

And here's an article I wrote, about a method I use to "follow up" after my dock shooting :
    Crappie Pappy Article I use this method on stationary docks (docks on poles) primarily around the outer support poles. On floating docks, I've mainly used it while actually walking on the dock, usually on the covered boat slip docks, and fishing the inside corners of the slip (where the shade is the darkest).

... cp

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a 9' Sam Heaten Super Sensitive for casting...and there are times that "shooting" under low hanging tree limbs and such is in order...

I have found that I can "shoot" a 1/16 oz jig just about as far as I can cast the jig with the Sam Heaton...especially in wind...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

You won't do any better than a 4 1/2' Pro Angler "Dock Shooter" IMHO. Pro Angler Tackle Rods

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All good info so far. What I will tell you is that what you start with will probably not be what you find as the best for you, but you gotta start somewhere. I shoot with whatever is in my hand and some work better than others. In tight quarters or strong wind I go to my 5' light action, but mostly I use a 6'6" 2 piece lightning rod with a medium action. It has a soft tip and good backbone in the middle that handles surprise fish much better than a soft rod does. I find UL rods too soft for the job, but to each his own. A little practice in the yard or the house will help iron out the timing and after that it's just practice. Took a friend last year, he used a 5'6" light rod and a 1/32 jig. Shot this one dock, line went tic, and everything went crazy. 5 1/2lb Largemouth liked his little jig and he had a time with it, but being open water of a floating dock he got his hands on it. It's lots of fun, just grab what you think will work and get started.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

What I like or prefer, you may not, and vice versa. Just gotta try different combo's and find that one/two/three rods that you like. If you have some buddies that DS, try out their rigs before buying if possible. do a search for dock shooting on this board, and you'll get dozens of suggestions from previous posts.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.