Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Didn't catch any crappie, but....

Post Thanks / Like

Question Didn't catch any crappie, but....

...I did bring home two 20-pound striped bass...got several bags of nice fillets in the freezer....having never cooked these critters before, can anyone tell me: 1) do you remove the dark red meat before cooking? 2) what's your favorite way to prepare the fillets? Thanks for any info...

Bushrod :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bushrod
    ...I did bring home two 20-pound striped bass...got several bags of nice fillets in the freezer....having never cooked these critters before, can anyone tell me: 1) do you remove the dark red meat before cooking? 2) what's your favorite way to prepare the fillets? Thanks for any info...

I always remove the red meat. It gets pretty strong tasting if you don't. Some people will leave it in because they like a strong tasting fish but not I. I bake it
    w/butter on it covered in tin foil for about an hour at 350.
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

They are'nt the best ,but are OK. Trim all the red meat off the the fillets. Cut fillets across into 1/2 - 3/4'' thick steaks and soak in ice salt water. Rinse ,then cook or freeze as any other fish.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, yes do remove the red meat before cooking.

Second I am a fat boy so listen up as I know good food. The only two ways I have truly enjoyed Stripers or whites is either smoked or the following recipie from Jerry Blake. In fact the last dinner party I had I cooked fried crappie and bacon wrapped striper balls and the guest liked the striper as well if not better in some cases than fried crappie and thats saying something. Try it and I guaruntee you will like it.

Bacon-Wrapped Fish

Cut Black Bass, White Bass, Hybrid White Bass or Striper fillets into about 1/2" x 1"nuggets

Marinate nuggets several hours or overnight in Zesty Italian Salad Dressing

Cut a package of Hickory Smoked Bacon into thirds so each strip makes three short pieces

Wrap each nugget with a piece of bacon and skew with a toothpick

Place nuggets on a broiler pan and bake at 425 degrees for ten minutes then turn over and bake 10-minutes more

SERVE HOT AS AN APPETIZER OR SIDE DISH

Reheat leftovers in 375-degree toaster oven for about 5-minutes

Post Thanks / Like

For me they are fun to catch, but I also will release any I catch. I don't like them to eat. I will eat crappie, catfish, black bass, bream, but the striper's for me are just for catchin'!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

We DO like fish.....MOST fish that is. Striper is one we like and find that cooking a bit on the long side gets them the way we like'em. We like our fish a bit drier or firmer than quick-cooked striper, which has a grand texture, but a bit moist w/o long-cooking.
    Remove red prior to cooking as stated.:rolleyes:
    .....lee s.

Post Thanks / Like

gooch, that recipe sounds delicious. I'll have to try it sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

Properly cleaned and cooked stripers are some of the best eating in the lake. Take off all the red meat and slice the fillets into strips about the size of a fillet from a 10 or 11 inch crappie. Roll them in your favorite batter and fry at 350 until golden brown. I like to use yellow corn meal with a little salt,pepper and just a touch of garlic powder. Be careful not to overcook your striper as they are a firm meat anyway and they will get tough on you.

Cheez

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Hey, Gooch...I tried your "Bacon-Wrapped Fish" recipe last night...man, it was "out- of- this -world"...thanks for a great suggestion!! I highly recommend it to all the other anglers on this board!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I do the soaking in salt water trick for everything I catch. Takes that oily taste right out. For the stripers, use a kosher salt or sea salt. They need to soak a little longer than normal because they are pretty dense meat. But they taste fine fried like anything else and they fight like all get out catching them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast