Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why use a GPS

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why use a GPS

I know that depthfinders and gps units haven't always been around, but they certainly are great tools for catching fish. I've also heard all the old stories of how the fish just used to jump in the boat and all that technology is unnecessary. Well, with all that said, I wanted to share why I use a gps and would like to hear why or why you do not use one or learn to use one effectively.

On a full-day fishing trip I might fish 20 different brushpiles. Using bank lineups it might take say 5 minutes to find, mark and start fishing a pile. With a gps with the WAAS turned on I can get on it and start fishing productive water in about 30 seconds. Saving 4.5 minutes per 20 brushpiles adds 90 minutes (an entire 1.5 hours) of productive fishing for a day's trip. Going back and checking records, I estimate that with just the introduction and use of a gps has increased my catch rate by 20% and I know my clients like it and my boys do too because they love to eat'em.

Bottomline, stop fishing unproductive water and you're certain to catch more fish.
    Last edited by Darryl Morris; 10-19-2006 at 06:21 PM.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I only fish fresh water in the fall/winter, rest of the time I'm in the Indian River/Mosquito Lagoon (Inshore-salt water) and I generally put in before daylight.
    My GPS is indispensible for telling me where all the unmarked poles, shoals, and snags are located, and there are literally dozens and dozens of them.
    I just couldn't get anywhere safely without it. Everytime I go out I find more and more stuff to waypoint (like that pole that was just under the surface and put a nice $350 gouge down the side of my new fiberglass boat).
    What I've been doing is going out in the day and making "trails" to my favorite spots that I "KNOW" are safe to run WOT, even at night. However, have to always be cautious for crab traps and suprise debris, but I know with certainty I'm not going to slam dead head into an umarked post.
    GPS = Couldn't live without it !
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

You are showing your youth, LOL! The fish finders have been around all my fishing adult life, but not GPS units. For me they are relatively new considering I didn't have one until the 90's sometime, but fish finder, probably got my first one that was really mine in about 1970 when I got my first bass boat. It probably was a flasher unit and we were glad to have that, LOL!

If you have never been caught in the fog day or night without a GPS then you don't know just how nice they are to have for other reasons than just to find the latest brush pile.

Todays electronic equipment is fantastic for sure!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be tough finding some of our small brushpiles in the middle of a lake with just line ups of distant banks. Like Morris said ,it's not unusual to fish 20 or more brushpiles on an outing. I never turn my GPS and depth finder off while jig fishing, as I am hopping from one to the next. I rarely fish one more than a few minutes. If they slow down I move. Most times the aggressive slabs bite quickly . I average better fishing more piles for less time each. It helps to have several piles scattered out 100 -200 ft apart to be able to troll to the next one. It takes to much time always moving with the outboard. That's why I place my piles in series and keep them small. Hope this has helped.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Darryl -- I've never used a gps. Don't know much about them but am considering my first purchase (or a "hey honey, you're always asking what I want for Christmas" suggestion.) I've researched and read, but frankly I don't really know what I'm reading. I will probably go with a hand held model. I don't want to put you on the spot, but what do I need? Can you make any suggestions for a hand held model that will do what you described in your leading post?

Many thanks.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I use:

http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?p=638

Less than $200 including shipping.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

If your on a limited budget and just want to locate waypoints, you can't beat ''Garmin Etrax'':D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I've either used or have seen several different gps units. Of them all, the Garmin 76 is the better for the price. It has a larger screen and memory capacity. Really easy to use. The Garmin 76, with a 12v. power cable and a data cable with serial/USB conversion cable and you're in business.
    Darryl Morris

Post Thanks / Like

I fish both fresh and saltwater but I use my GPS for both. In saltwater I use it to record my drift lines and mark fish catches. If I have a really good drift I simply try to go directly over the same line. It also makes it easy to see your drift direction especially if it starts to change due to tide or wind. I don't use it a lot in freshwater but one thing it does really well is help you find your way back to the ramp in the dark. So, I use mine for the tracking feature mostly.
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

The tracking feature is great too and I use it on mine alot. When fishing a brushpile it helps me keep a record of where on the brushpile I've previously fished. When trolling it helps me track where I've been so I'll know where to go back to or not.
    Darryl Morris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast