Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marion County Lake 12/1/2013

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marion County Lake 12/1/2013

Decided to make it an all-day visit to Marion County Lake on Sunday. Got to the lake around 9:30am and decided to try out some of the docks around the lake since we had heard brush was knocked out of the heated dock. Didn't have much luck on the docks except for some small largemouth bass.

Decided what the hell, let's go try the heated dock. Got there and seen quite a few baskets in the water with fish in them. Got into fish almost immediately using little banana jigs. Caught 15-20 in about 2 hours, which is a win for us! Fishing seemed to slow down by 3pm. Kept most of what we caught since the freezer was empty at home. Think I may have figured out vertical jigging a little more now, hopefully I can apply it at other locations just as well. Thanks for everyone's help and advice!

Name:  2013-12-01 16.35.03.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  67.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention, there were so many shad in the heated dock it was unreal! Probably thousands just hanging out on top of the surface. In fact everybody in the dock would snag them every 3-4 casts they were so thick! 3-4"

Post Thanks / Like

Good Job Wiggy!!
    "My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am" -- unknown

crappieslinger is offline Moderator Kansas Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report!
    Don't Move a Mussel!! Clean, Drain and Dry EVERY TIME, ON EVERY BODY OF WATER!!

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason your bluegill on the right doesn't look right.. Something is weird with the head?

And did you try to scoop the shad and drop it down to see if you'd get a bite?

Post Thanks / Like

Ya I forgot there were a few gills in there, that one looks like a crappigill for sure!

Didn't even think to try that, had a minnow on one pole down towards the bottom, should've put a shad on and seen what happens. Next time I'll try it!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, glad you see the crappigill also ?!? Looks like a blue gill got his head chopped off and a crappie is under him creating the photo illusion. Sometimes I use the shad and dropped right to the bottom there are white bass. Never hurts to try. Always fun fighting a good sized white bass on 4 pound line and UL poles.

Post Thanks / Like

Anywhere to buy minnows near Hillsboro or Marion? Trying to convince the wife into joining me for a trip down there this weekend either Friday or Saturday morning

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy minnows at the county lake office, they have silvers and reds

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks when i was down there the only guy catching anything was using a banana jig. I just ordered some stuff off amazon today think ill head back down there in a couple of weeks to give it a try

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast