Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: question about 4'8 microlite supreme combo

North_Ms_Crappies Guest

Default question about 4'8 microlite supreme combo

I just ordered a bps microlite supreme combo and havent gotten it yet and was wondering if anyone has used this small of a rod for jigging and bobber fishing for crappies.The combo has a 4'8 IM6 graphite rod and the reel has 6 ball bearings Powerlock instant anti-reverse. I think it will be a good combo for the type of fishing i do. If anyone has any information on jigging and fishing in gerneral with these small ultra lights plz tell. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

most short rods likethat are for dock shooting
    crap-king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

North_Ms_Crappies Guest

i dont do much dock shooting i just usually vertical jig and bobber fish with these type of small ultralights. Maybe its just me but i prefer the fight of a crappie on a small ultra light. Hopefully it will work well for what im trying to do. thanks for your information though

Post Thanks / Like

I have 4 of those rods when they were made by Quantum. I used to absolutely love 'em, as the tip goes to almost nothing (half the size of #2 pencil lead). I used them for casting jigs, fishing slip bobbers, and vertical jigging.
    Then I bought my first rod over 10' - I'll never pick the short rods up first again. Panfish are a blast on those short UL rods, but nothing like a crappie throbbing a long rod.
    Last edited by Big Zig; 12-14-2004 at 11:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I love those little outfits. All the poles I have on my guide boat are 4'-5' except for longer catfish poles. I have the BPS,Quantum,Diawa Spinmatic and Ugly Sticks.Our fishing is short casts, drifting and vertical fishing. I don't think they would be the best for bobber fishing. Beginner fishermen have an easier time with the short rods and it's easier for me moving around the boat and netting their fish. The Ugly Sticks can take a lot of abuse.For vertical fishing I sometimes put a spring bobber on them.

North_Ms_Crappies Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Big Zig
    I have 4 of those rods when they were made my Quantum. I used to absolutely love 'em, as the tip goes to almost nothing (half the size of #2 pencil lead). I used them for casting jigs, fishing slip bobbers, and vertical jigging.
    Then I bought my first rod over 10' - I'll never pick the short rods up first again. Panfish are a blast on those short UL rods, but nothing like a crappie throbbing a long rod.
    I have a few longer rods i use for trolling maybe i should rig one up with a bobber or a jig and have a try.I usually fish ponds and small lakes so i prefer compact rods but ill be doing alot of resivoir and river fishing this year seeing that my dad got a nice fiberglass bass boat.Ill probably buy a few 10 ft rods if i find out i like them.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Shakespeare 5' UL Excursion and love it. I use it for casting and vertical jigging. I've caught everything from bluegills to a 5 pound cat on it while fishing for crappie. I started with a Shimano UL reel, wore out the line roller and went to a WM reel. It's getting hinky, so Doug bought me a new Mitchell Avocet UL reel for my birthday. I'll start using it next spring. So far, the rod has held up great and done everything I wanted it to. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I have two of the short ultra light Graphite Rods from Cabelas and they have worked fine for many years. They are still going strong and I use them almost every time I go fishing. My newer poles are all much longer but I still find myself going back to my shorter rods for casting. They just are hard to beat and they are so lightweight and fun to fish with. You will enjoy them a great deal. And you are absolutely right about having more fun catching smaller (By Smaller I mean panfish large and small and not 10lb bass LOL) panfish such as 1.5 lb crappie.

My mom went with me to the TeeZur Fishing Tournament in 2003 NOV and caught a 1.34lb White Crappie on one of my short 5 ft rods. I caught a 4lb drum using a short rod during that trip. It was the first fish I caught durning the tournament and man I was hoping that was a 4lb crappie instead. LOL

Just put a good reel on those short rods and make sure that your drag is set properly and you can catch even some bigger fish than 2lbs. Tie a good strong knot and keep your line in good shape and you will have a lot of fun with those new rods.

Keep them stored properly so that they don't hit against anything while traveling. A good rod holder in the boat or truck is a wise investment as well as one for the home.

Quote Originally Posted by North_Ms_Crappies
    I just ordered a bps microlite supreme combo and havent gotten it yet and was wondering if anyone has used this small of a rod for jigging and bobber fishing for crappies.The combo has a 4'8 IM6 graphite rod and the reel has 6 ball bearings Powerlock instant anti-reverse. I think it will be a good combo for the type of fishing i do. If anyone has any information on jigging and fishing in gerneral with these small ultra lights plz tell. thanks
    Regards,

Moose1am

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default little rods ...

are, as many people have noted, quite a bit of fun to use for Crappie fishing. I, too, have experienced the magic of catching some nice fish on a "short" pole. I have a 5ft Quantum UL ... which I used to use for fishing for Smallmouth at Watts Bar. I had a UL Zebco or Shakespeare reel on it (can't remember which one I started with - I switch reels around on my rods, every now & then). I caught many 3+ pound Smallmouth on it, there, and the biggest fish I remember catching on it was a 6lb Largemouth. I had my current partner, his late younger brother, and a pontoon full of people as witnesses. (they even offered to bring a net over to us - but, I politely refused and lip landed the lunker). That was many, many years ago ... back when I was throwing minnows on a Oldham's jighead, for the Smallies of WB. It also served me well, at Lake Barkley, casting Roadrunners - and catching limits of 2+ pound Crappie.
    The only downside to the "short" rods, for me, was having to jerk the rod (and my arms) well over my head, to get a good hookset. That prompted me to purchase a 6.5ft Mitchell Zero Gravity rod - a carbon rod ... with a rod blank that's smaller than pencil lead, at the rod tip - and a tip eye that is so small it only allows 4lb line thru it ... 6lb or more just won't cast !! But, since I was using 4lb line, at the time, it was fine ... for all intent and purposes, for the <1lb Crappie I was used to catching here locally ... and an absolute blast on the >1lb Crappie I was catching at Watts Bar. After winning a rod of choice from BnM at the 2001 Spring Fling ... I chose the Sam Heaton 7ft Signature Rod, and it's become my #1 jig slinging rod for Crappie. Do I still use the "little" rod ... you bet I do ! I rarely go Crappie fishing with less than 4 rods - and you can bet that one of those is the "little guy". ...cp