Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post your GOTO jig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Post your GOTO jig

Bass Pro Shops opened in San Antonio and they have a very big crappie jig section. Lot's of different styles from roadrunners to tube to maribou. The choice was overwhelming.

Can you fellows post a pic of your GO-TO jig so I can get a sense of what I should be looking for. If you could only fish one jig, which one would it be.

It would be nice to see what everyone is throwing.

Thanks
    -Arnie

Post Thanks / Like

Default The killer

The killer jig for me is a 1/64 or 1/32 0r 1/16 Bass Pro brand marabou jig with a red head chartreuse body white tail. I like marabou, it has more action than plastic. Especially in cold water. But I do have a box full of plactic skirts that I do use. Sometimes the crappie like a smaller bait like the 1/64 and I just put a slit shot about 6 to 8 inches up the line to get it down.
    LIFE IS TO SHORT TO FISH WITH A DEAD MINNER AND I WISH I WAS SOMEWHERE HOOKING LIP.

Post Thanks / Like

1/16 oz blakemore roadrunner. white head with a lime and chartreuse tube. a close second would be the same head with a blue ice and chartreuse 2 inch slider grub.

NIMROD is online now Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I use an Umbrella Tube made by Southern Pro with 1/8 oz leadhead inside. My favorite color is pink/white combo. This is a large jig , I perfer to catch quality fish. My feelings is bigger bait can mean bigger fish most of the time.:D

The tube is mashed a bit by the scanner. But you see the size and color anyway.
    Last edited by NIMROD; 10-18-2006 at 08:24 PM.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Mostly, I'm using these .....

P&S Custom Tackle weedless jigheads (1/32oz & 1/16oz) in brush guard style or V-wing guard style:

and putting various different styles of plastic bodies on them .... depending on what method/presentation I'm using. Those would be:
    BPS Sparkle Squirt tubes
    Panfish Assassins
    Crappie Pro solid body tubes
    Southern Pro tubes
    Charlie Brewer Slider grubs
    Renegade solid body tubes
    Crappie Magic plastic bodies
    Culprit Crappie plastic bodies
    Fin-S-fish plastic bodies
    Berkley Power Bait tubes

For marabou versions - Roadrunners (1/32oz & 1/16oz) and various "house" brands of 1/32oz-1/8oz marabou jigs.
    For feather/hackle versions - P&S Custom Tackle hand tied, Cabin Creek "Pop-eye" jigs. or "Popeye Special" jigs (by Jack Ewen, of Stanton Ky).

If I could only have "one jig" ... it would be the V-wing 1/16oz weedless jighead, by P&S Custom Tackle ... and a plastic body (with chartreuse tail).

............ luck2ya .... cp

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Blue Ice/ Chartreuse Slider Grub on a 1/16 oz. head. Or Black/Chart tube on same head
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

The goto jig that I have been successful with is a 1/16 oz roadrunner with a blue and chartruese tube. Cast to structure and make a slow retrieve. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by L.A. stumpjumper; 10-18-2006 at 09:13 PM.

A bad day of fishing
    beats a good day at work.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say my goto jig is a Berkley micro power tube in green chartreuce. I have caught so many crappies on that jig in that color that I find myself using it more and more and it still keeps working. Secondly, and a very close second it is, is a 2 inch berkley power grub the christmas lights color. Not only does this jig catch crappies like crazy but it has universal appeal to almost all fish. I once caught 11 species in one day in about 4 hrs on that jig with a unpainted 1/16 ounce jig in TN.

2 more that arn't my goto choices but are baits that I have recently started using and have killed with. First is the BPS crappie beaver in chartreuce and glitter. Its a unique profile I don't think crappie see all the time and I ALWAYS catch crappies when I use it. Its becoming on of my favorites. One of the things I like about it is that its flat and glides for a nice slow presentation. Secondly, is the 1/16 ounce roadrunner with Charlie Brewers sliders in various colors. Man I wish they would sell the RR heads bulk in black. The black RR with the black slider with the chatreuce tail is a smokin combo.

One last suggestion. A lure I've been using this year and almost always caught fish when others failed is the Northland Mimic Minnows swimbaits. Forget the expensive custom heads and just use an unpainted jighead with the smallest size they make, though I think the 2 and the 2.5 inch versions will get larger crappies. I particularly like the silver shiner, but all the colors are excellent. This is something I havnt tried yet but I intend to. The mimic minow on a roadrunner. It'll make a smokin combo.

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Categ...in.taf?cat=214
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults
    http://www.berkley-fishing.com/prod....&p=PURMPT1-CHS
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 10-18-2006 at 10:29 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

1/16 oz. minnow head jig,orange/chartruse super jig,both midsouth tackle. Bait Pump & Crappie Nibbles. Color of tube will vary in different lakes & areas of the country. I use two 1/32 oz. Bull Shots one 12inches,one 24 inches above the jig. Puts about a 2 inch bend at the rod tip so I can see a lift bite.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast