Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: White River trout newbie...

Post Thanks / Like

Question White River trout newbie...

Just booked a trip to White Hole for May 2014. It's my first time to fish for trout, and I need all the pointers and advice I can get. what should I stock up on as far as bait/lures. Any/all advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scooter

Post Thanks / Like

I like small rapala gold and black number 4. Also i use 6lb line. If u bait fish then 4lb line works good. If you are after rainbows then power bait balls in orange, red, and chart work good. Important to float with the current and have bait as natural float as can. When casting lures cast perpendicular to bank. Then more generation the more wt u need to keep bait on bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Trout magnets all the way... Also 1/32oz olive jigs work well... In the power bait I prefer pink and salmon peach... But if it was me I would be jigging several different trout magnet colors all day... If need colors shoot a pm...

Post Thanks / Like

White River Zig Jigs in Brown,Olive,Black or Ginger 1/16 oz for low water 1/8 for high water and bounce it off the bottom on a slow retrieve. You can google them and order online. I will throw count downs as well in any of the colors offered in high water and make sure you throw right on the bank. The big browns feed along the bank in high water.

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

1/4 oz bell sinker with swivel on the bottom of the line. Come up about 6 or 8 inches and tie off about a 2ft piece of some 2lb test. Tie on a little bitty hook and get a can of corn. I trout fished one time and found out they taste like carp...or crap (don't exactly remember but it was one or the other), so I quit. They are great fun to catch and some people can prepare them so they taste good.

Have fun and pay no attention to any of the above advice. The below is pics from a trip on the White.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPg1d0oi7oA
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Post Thanks / Like

We used to Trout fish in Idaho with handlines in the mountain streams. 4lb test, a small hook, and a can of corn was all it took for the brook trout up there. As for cooking, gut 'em and remove their lower lip, stuff the insides with butter, onions, and garlic, then squeeze lemon juice over them, wrap in aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes at 350F. They weren't crappie fillets, but they were pretty good eating.

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post

Have fun and pay no attention to any of the above advice...
    Just reread my post. Pay no attention to the advice in my post. The other guys had some good stuff and I'm sure the have trout fished much more than I.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Post Thanks / Like

Default White River trout newbie...

Call Cody Smith in the Tumbling Shoals--Heber Springs area. (501) 691-5701. He guides the Lake and the River. Trout Trollers Guide Service or something like that. I've walleye fished with him before, and he works HARD to put you on the fish. Great guy also!!! For crappie on the lake call Creekslick (870) 307-2572 in the Freemont Bridge area.
    Last edited by BigRiverMarine; 11-28-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.