Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: ? for Tommy Skarlis

Post Thanks / Like

Default ? for Tommy Skarlis

Hi Tommy, I bought some flickers size 5 and 6, I usually always pull bandits. What size split shot would you think I need to get the 5s down to the depth of a 300. I mostly catch them around 70ft. back, which is about 13ft. what size weight do you suggest to get the 5s down there. I think the 6s will go that deep on their own.

Thanks Wilbur

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Great question - thanks for trusting me for an answer! Weighted presentations are so speed and line diameter dependent, it makes it difficult for me to give you a really accurate answer so I am going to approach this question a little differently.

I'll preface this also by saying that I rely HEAVILY on Precision Trolling Dive Curves - PRECISION TROLLING | thenextbite.tv

70 feet back on a 300 series Bandit with the line I troll (Berkley 10lb Trilene XT) will put that bait down (regardless of speed) to around 13.5 feet. 65 feet of line is 13' and 75' of line is 14' down. I didn't look at the dive curves for Fireline - but 10 pound test (4 pound diameter

#6 Flicker Shad down 13 feet = 120 feet of line (10 lb XT) (add 2 more feet of depth if using 10/4 fireline)

#5 Flicker Shad down 11 feet = 150 feet of line (10lb XT) (add maybe a foot more with 10/4 fireline)

To "kinda" answer your Q: I would suggest a PSS2 (1/4 ounce split shot) at lengths of 100 to 150 feet of line and if you get bit - duplicate the presentation. Again - speed becomes a factor with weighted presentations, higher speed = more lift - slower speed = more drop

I would highly suggest investing in the precision dive curves - they have both stickers and I-Phone Apps
    Take a senior or a kid fishing soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tommy, I will order some stickers, don't have a fancy phone.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Thanks Tommy, I will order some stickers, don't have a fancy phone.
    One of the neat things about the Flicker Shads is the dive curve for that model comes WITH the lure!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Skarlis View Post
    One of the neat things about the Flicker Shads is the dive curve for that model comes WITH the lure!
    They do , but for these old eyes are hard to see.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    They do , but for these old eyes are hard to see.
    LOL - My Dad always said "It's h*** to get old, Son!" I am 48 - and have finally given in and bought numerous pairs of reading glasses.

Maybe an easier approach to trolling would be to stagger baits and let the fish tell us where they want them.

I will put 6 baits out on Off Shores - here is the spread: (8' Deep) 10' Deep) (12' Deep) [BOAT] (13' Deep) (11' Deep) (9' Deep)
    OR - I may not pay too much attention and just run #'s: (40' back) (80'back) (120'back) [BOAT] (150' back) (100'back) (50'back)

Then - whatever lure gets bit - that's the one I'll duplicate (and I will certainly put the original "Bit" lure back at the same depth.)
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 11-28-2013 at 10:35 AM.