Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake O the Pines-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake O the Pines-Crappie

As you all know Lake O the Pines is a winter lake and when it gets cold the fish go deep. We have had a lot of warm weather lately and the fish are just meandering along on the river edge and not staying congregated in deep water. However with the cold days this week I really expect the big slabs to be in tight. I went out the other evening and caught 8 and Rod&Real (Dickie) caught 5 on his gadget mobile :D . It was slow but profitable in gale force winds and 70 deg. weather. Not bad for a couple of hours. I really am looking forward to this weekend for some limits to come out of the lake. BTW, boat count on the lake was about 200. I expect over a thousand this weekend (don't believe me? just come out and count them yourself) minnows are doing very well and rosey red minnows are hot! Purple 32nd once tube jigs are doing well also. Stop by and see me @ Johnson Creek Mini Mart and I will tell you all I know for that day and meet you on the Lake.

Wild Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Wild Bill we were up there Sat afternoon from 2 until6 fishin where all the other boats were, we drifted , sat still, use minners and jigs only got 8 did not sea anybody just gettin em all, not been under Alley creek bridge yet ya got any info on that area?

Post Thanks / Like

This year it's been warm,cold,hot, very cold, warm...well you get the message. Yesterday I got my limit drift fishing in the mouth of Hurricane Creek Area, but had to work at it. Fish have been running in the 1 1/2 lb range, however I picked up a 2.96 lb (pretty good). I have been catching fish in as little as 25' so I would say they are in Alley Creek also.
    Good Hunting

Wild Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Wild Bill not seen ya on here in while, Imbeen low sick 2 weeks, just now gettin better may go pines this Sat. ya think it worthnit ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 410MAN
    Wild Bill not seen ya on here in while, Imbeen low sick 2 weeks, just now gettin better may go pines this Sat. ya think it worthnit ?
    Fishing has been slow...Half the population (males) of crappie has moved to the creek channels and the females are scattered in the lake., Those willing to search for them are real successful and those and the sitters and fishers are not.
    Good Luck

Wild Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hey Wild Bill

Hey wild Bill, (that is the same name my Dad used to go by in the Corps BTW) I was wondering about where you think the better fish will be around the middle of March? I have an idea of where we will head to, I just want to see if my thinking is right. We have never been down there before.

Do you sell minnows down there, and if so, do you do it by the pound? Rosies too? What works best down there in Spring - Shiners? PM me your personal info & I will make it a point to look you up if we do get to come down. Thanks!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Ripa,
    If you are thinking that you should be in the shallows of the creeks in the middle of March I have to agree. I know for a fact the males are already gathering their territory in the beds now preparing for the spawn. If the weather holds in the current conditions spawning should begin pretty quick.
    We got all your bait at Johnson Creek Mini Mart (Rosies also) by the doz and the pound and we are @ the entrance to Johnson Creek Park. When you come in I will let you know what the latest is.
    Good Luck

Wild Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up That was what I was thunkin!

I will look you up. That is one of the creek arms I plan on hitting anyway. Kinda was wondering about the East bank near where that Rock Pit is located just off the lake. Spawn beds right there too? Does it get better up past the bridge? How about way in the back of that arm, worth the hassle runnin back that far? Take care & big bites to ya W.B. <,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up 4 ft

Rippa,
    Even tho it's been raining, a few fisherman have come in with limits. Half from the main body of the Lake and the other half in the shallows of Hurricaine, Johnson and Alley creeks. I believe in two weeks the spawn will be on. Just my opinion but I don' usually miss by too far. I never been skunked in 20 years.

Good Luck on the pearch jerkin

Wild Bill