Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duck hunters

Post Thanks / Like

Default Duck hunters

My friend was fishing this morning starting around 11:00. Happened to drift by a duck hunter who cussed him, threatened to shoot him, told him the law said he couldn't fish until 2:00. Really yelling and screaming.
    here are the facts, the blind was on public land In a state park. Although not required to, my friend waited until 11:00AM, out of curtesy being duck season and all.
    My cut, my right to fish is just as important as a duck hunter, if you don't want to be disturbed by a fisherman, get a private lease. I shouldn't have to adjust my time to deal with what a duck hunter is doing. And BTW, the duck hunter has to be out by 2:00, there is no time restrictions on when I fish. Anyone else deal with this, or an argument to change my position?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know the law on this but I know crappie taste better than ducks.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone threatens to shoot me better defend themselves.I never crappie fish without my shotgun!It is unlawful to disturb someone hunting/fishing in a legal manner...so your buddy might have been wrong getting in the guys area.

2000 ProCraft 210 SuperPro DC w/Merc 250 ProXB
    Hi-Tek rod holders

Post Thanks / Like

We all have to remember common curtisy, Fishermen hate pleasure boaters screwing up our fishing and a duck hunter would like the same consideration. Fishing is year round and duck season is for 60 days and they have to hunt when the law says they can. It's a two way street, you treat them with respect and they treat you with respect. Is a fish or duck really worth shooting someone.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not have cussed him or threatened to shoot him but I would probably been an unhappy duck hunter as well. Just how close did he happen to drift by?
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Small bayou so close. But the wind was way up on the lake. I have duck hunted in the past but sucked it up and paid for a lease so I didn't get disturbed. BTW if it were me I would have called the game warden and told him of the threat

Post Thanks / Like

Even as a duck hunter (also a crappie fisherman) when I first read this message I thought the duck hunter was on the wrong side of things but reading the other posts I'm starting to possibly change my opinion. My first concern would be safety, was your buddy within shotgun range? Secondly, who was there first? Public hunting sucks when you're just dealing with other hunters let alone dealing with fisherman as well. A lot of people, including myself, cannot afford a private lease and are stuck with public ground. Bottom line is it was not handled well by the hunter, I would never act like that on either side of deal. As someone said in an earlier post it just comes down to common courtesy and more then that, common sense. If someone is in the area give them their space, it's everyone's to enjoy whether it's two fisherman, two hunters or one of each as it was in this case. We have enough issues with other people trying to take away our hunting and fishing rights, let's not work against each other!

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

We were duck hunting a friend's blind on Lake Barkley several years ago when a crappie fisherman ran his spider-rig set up right thru our decoy spread. Granted, Barkley is only about 50,000 acres so obviously we were crowding this poor fisherman by being on the tiny island in the middle of the bay. We let him get out to the edge of our decoys then shot the next group of ducks that worked in on the end of the blind opposite to where he was located. None of our shot got anywhere near him but he got the message.

Courtesy goes both ways.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I posted , really a grey area specific on the location. I fish in a small lake in a state park. Most of the blinds are tucked in the coves but a few are right out on the lake which is only 1/2 mile across . I stay out of the bays this time of year. But the main lake I fish regardless if the duck hunters are there. I stay in the middle, but good god puck a better place for a blind. In spirit I like the comment of shooting over a guys head, but here in La. You would more often than not be shot back at. Don't know anyone here that doesn't carry.
    You all made me think though , try to give them space when you can

Post Thanks / Like

I think you gotta give the hunters a wide berth. We wait all year for the chance to hunt again. The duck hunter did not handle this in the proper fashion though that is for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast