Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig colors

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Jig colors

I knew a guy 20 0r 25 years ago that had a device he would drop down in the water. And he asid it could help him know the colors crappie could see the best. And help him pick the jig to use that day. Bas Pro has a thing called a Color-C-Lector. Has anybody ever used one and do you think it works? I know fish can see some colors better than others when the sun is out or not. If the water is clear or muddy. Just wanting to know if anyone know if this works or not? I am willing to use every tool I can to catch more and BIGGER crappie.
    LIFE IS TO SHORT TO FISH WITH A DEAD MINNER AND I WISH I WAS SOMEWHERE HOOKING LIP.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink We've had this discussion before ......

and there's proponents and opponents (fer'em & agin'em). :D

Here's a link to past discussions involving the Color-c-Lector:

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/search...earchid=211451

My take on them: if they were "all that", then the Tournament Pros would be using them & representing for them. The original intent was for Bass anglers, and Bill Dance was the prime representative for the product. If it worked so well, then, why does he not still have one on his boats ?? True, the originals - Color-c-Lector (color choice meter) and Combo-c-Lector (color/temp/pH meter), made by Lake Systems, are no longer in production. But, there are still many of them out there ... you see one, every now & then, pop up on Ebay. The new "version", by Spike-it, is a reintroduction of the same principal ... and developed by the same person that brought out the first ones, Dr Laren Hill.
    IMHO ... they probably do show what colors are most visible under certain light penetration/water clarity conditions. But, by itself, I don't feel like it's any great breakthrough. Just because you know what color is most visible at a specific depth and light/water conditions, doesn't mean there's any fish there. You've got to "find" them, before you can catch them. And, when you find them, you'd be surprised at how many different colors they will respond to :D Fish eyes and human eyes are similar in only one respect ... rods & cones. And, even in that respect, are different in the number of each. I'm not even sure we fully understand what/how fish see color ... or what they perceive those colors to be (represent). When I first started using jigs for Crappie .... white, yellow, or black were the colors of choice. They covered the "spectrum" of clear (white), stained (yellow), or murky (black) water conditions ... and they worked very well. Nowadays, I have several tackle boxes full of colors & color combinations (the Bait Monkey made me do it ) .... and the "color" that seems to have the most productive influence on my catch rate, is Chartreuse (alone or in combination with other colors). Go figure :p ............. luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

There is a good artical on how & what crappie see in the latest issue of Crappie World Mag.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Color c lecter but i haven't used it in years. Not for sale. I'll post a picture later.
    Last edited by chaunc; 10-18-2006 at 05:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your right Pappy

Your right Pappy if they was that good every boat would have one in it. I was think it would be faster then going through 5 or 6 colors. But as my wife said there you go thinking again without adult supervision.
    LIFE IS TO SHORT TO FISH WITH A DEAD MINNER AND I WISH I WAS SOMEWHERE HOOKING LIP.

Post Thanks / Like

Pappy that address you give me shows no match.

Post Thanks / Like

Wisker you are to I read crappie all the time. And save them like some people save playboys. That is what got me to thinking about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Chaunc that is the thing the guy years ago. I guess you do'nt think it work if you have not used it?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Sorry, BE ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bait Eating
    Pappy that address you give me shows no match.
    My bad ....
    I was afraid it wouldn't work for anyone else. All I did was click on "Search" (in the link line above) and then clicked on "Advanced Search" (under the blank space in the drop down). When this takes you to the search page ... type in - color-c-lector - in the "Key Words" line, and leave everything else blank (and Search All Open Forums highlighted). This should bring you to a collection of previous threads, with the word "color-c-lector" in the texts. The address of this page should be the same as the link I posted.
    You will also find some other posts, concerning these units, by doing the same search proceedure .... but, put "combo-c-lector" in the Key Words line.
    ...... luck2ya ... cp