PDA

View Full Version : Todd Huckabee Guide

bjordan61
11-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Geez, My buddy and I were humbled again. Went out with Todd on upper Ft. Gibson yesterday. My buddy caught a couple of 10 inchers...I got 3 a little bigger...Todd keeps reeling in the slabs one after another. I believe some guys just have IT...whatever IT is. You know when you're fishing side by side with somebody that there is just something that the gifted fishermen feel on their line. Some guys just have the touch, or 6th sense, or whatever you want to call it. Nevertheless, we got schooled. If you want to watch a Master, book a trip with him. I guarantee you will have a good time.

tenncrappie
11-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Hope you didn't pay for catching 13 fish while he fills the boat. He's not much of a guide if you ask me to do that to his clients that way. He may be a good fisherman but guide? Not in my book.

bjordan61
11-22-2013, 07:37 PM
I didn't look at it that way at all, tenncrappie. I've been out with him several times and he's always been great...asked me if I wanted him to fish or not on this last trip. I spent more time watching him and his rod tip than I did my own just trying to figure out the bite. Guess you just would have to have been there. I'm happy...each to his own.

Cmj
11-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Hope you didn't pay for catching 13 fish while he fills the boat. He's not much of a guide if you ask me to do that to his clients that way. He may be a good fisherman but guide? Not in my book.

:Rofl

arkansasbowhunter
11-22-2013, 08:41 PM
I personally know three people who have used him and not one of them spoke highly of his guide service!

deathb4disco
11-22-2013, 08:43 PM
If you want to watch a Master, book a trip with him.

If I'm paying for a guide, it's not because I want to watch him fish.

CrappiePro
11-23-2013, 02:20 AM
HMMM if you were fishing right beside him and he was doing his best to make sure you had the same bait he was fishing the same depth and letting you dip where he was dipping. I guess the only other thing he could do for you would be set the hook for you and hand you the rod...Just saying.

RTJ214
11-23-2013, 03:42 AM
He was doing something different than you...and I believe you paid enough for him to let you in on his secret.I would guess depth was the difference,but you hired him to take you fishing which should include a lesson if it's needed.

bjordan61
11-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Exactly...we got a thorough explanation of what we were doing and why. It was a weird bite...He's just been at it so long he has an incredible feel for the fish. We missed a lot of them that he probably would have hooked. It's why he's a pro and we're amateurs.

bjordan61
11-23-2013, 10:09 AM
He was not doing anything differently than we were. We were standing 2 ft. apart, same lures, same depth, everything the same, while he showed us what he was looking at on the graph. What else can be done? Some people can feel a bite, some have a harder time at it. What's the difference between that and some people being able to see a buck in the woods while the guy standing beside him can't see that same buck?

mkeller
11-23-2013, 11:01 AM
To each his own, people hire guides for several reasons, he paid the money, he enjoyed the trip, that is all that matters. There is now reason to bash someone and their business and livelyhood without first hand experience. I have never hired guide or have met Todd. I take he is doing something right or he wouldn't be guiding and making a living at what we all love to do.

minnowtime
11-23-2013, 12:13 PM
I was night fishing for crappie. A young man and his Dad were in boat next to me. The Dad could not buy a fish, his son tried everything to help his Dad even gave him his rod and helpped his Dad and he still could not catch a fish. I have fished many heated docks and someone always out fished the rest. Yes some are better than the rest of us!! If I fish with 2 or 3 people in my boat someone will out fish the other, is always a contest to see who it will be today. Fished beside a pontoon boat with a women ind 2 men anchored during crappie spawn. We all had a big laugh as the woman kicked their butt.

I think it is the duty of those in the boat who are catching fish to assist the other fishermen. Tell them the info on type of line, rod info, depth of fish, speed and style of retreive. Sometime you should stop fishing and watch those who are catching the fish.

A guide should always help others catch fish. If you do not enjoy the trip you should not hire him again.

Cmj
11-23-2013, 01:21 PM
To each his own, people hire guides for several reasons, he paid the money, he enjoyed the trip, that is all that matters. There is now reason to bash someone and their business and livelyhood without first hand experience. I have never hired guide or have met Todd. I take he is doing something right or he wouldn't be guiding and making a living at what we all love to do.

Well I have fished with him and I will say this: He knows his stuff and put us on good fish. We caught 28 fish and there were 4 people in the boat, not great considering other boats were coming in with close to 100. But we had bigger fish, and I think that was his goal. BUT, he showed up two hours late and had a terrible attitude all day. He MAY have said three words all day long. In my opinion, not very professional, and I would not go with him again. As for the outfishing part, that's going to happen when you are fishing with a pro. If you want it to be more even, have them take you spiderrigging.

RTJ214
11-24-2013, 01:49 AM
I'm glad you enjoyed the trip.Hope you learned from the pro how to put more/better fish in the boat or learned how to get the most out of your sonar.I have seen days when the bite was very light...and can understand how it looks like someone has a "gift" but it's nothing you can't learn.

bjordan61
11-24-2013, 12:27 PM
That's exactly why I book my trips with him...I get the one on one instruction I'm looking for. I couldn't care less if we fill the boat while I'm out with him. I'm not looking for a big beer drinking blast on the lake. I'm tired of just going out and catching a bunch of small crappie on the same old lake using the same methods every time. The whole point of the trip is to learn how he locates fish on different lakes and rivers, especially large fish, how he catches them, and then try to apply the lessons learned when I go out on my own. Of course he's going to catch more than me...geez, I can't understand why some people whine so much when they get outfished. At least they got to go, as my dear old Grandpappy used to say. Also, it's up to the client to ask questions and provide feedback. Guides aren't mind readers. And when it comes down to it, I'd be willing to bet every guide out there has had a few groups that they couldn't wait to get away from due to boorish behavior.

deathb4disco
11-24-2013, 03:19 PM
I'm not knocking Huckabee. I'm just surprised that any guide would fish.

wilbur
11-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Im pretty sure all of them do, to help you with an xtra limit

deathb4disco
11-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Im pretty sure all of them do, to help you with an xtra limit

Maybe with crappie guides ... not with the guides I've been out with. On two occasions, the guide asked for my permission to fish.

bjordan61
11-24-2013, 07:30 PM
He asked if I wanted him to fish or not, and I encouraged him to fish. I wanted to see exactly how he presented the jig and set the hook. I swear I never saw his rod tip so much as twitch and he was still detecting a bite. He told me that maybe what I thought was a bite when I was missing fish was actually the fish spitting the lure out. All I've been trying to say is he has a highly developed sense of touch...much more than your average Joe Sixpack. Again, we were standing right next to each other using identical rods, reels, line, lures, at the same depth, etc. Other guides I have gone with for other species have not fished, probably because they were too busy baiting hooks, taking fish off, etc. on a boat full of clients. It's a different type of deal when you're out on an instructional trip with just one or two clients. Anyway, this is my last post on this forum. My intentions were just to point out that I had found a guide that I was very happy with. I never would have thought I'd get picked to pieces over the deal. It's time to delete the account and move on to a forum somewhere that's a little more friendly.

Cmj
11-24-2013, 07:43 PM
He asked if I wanted him to fish or not, and I encouraged him to fish. I wanted to see exactly how he presented the jig and set the hook. I swear I never saw his rod tip so much as twitch and he was still detecting a bite. He told me that maybe what I thought was a bite when I was missing fish was actually the fish spitting the lure out. All I've been trying to say is he has a highly developed sense of touch...much more than your average Joe Sixpack. Again, we were standing right next to each other using identical rods, reels, line, lures, at the same depth, etc. Other guides I have gone with for other species have not fished, probably because they were too busy baiting hooks, taking fish off, etc. on a boat full of clients. It's a different type of deal when you're out on an instructional trip with just one or two clients. Anyway, this is my last post on this forum. My intentions were just to point out that I had found a guide that I was very happy with. I never would have thought I'd get picked to pieces over the deal. It's time to delete the account and move on to a forum somewhere that's a little more friendly.

Bjordan, no need to be offended, or to delete your account. Nobody was picking you apart, but your guide. I am glad that you had a good experience with him, but lots of people do not feel the same about him, myself included. If you had posted about a respected guide you would have gotten a different response. You can't blame this site because the guide you posted about has a bad reputation. JMO

arkansasbowhunter
11-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Wasnt dogging either just saying what 3 people have told me was there experience.

When striper fishing here in Arkansas the guide does not fish with the client

Eager Beaver
11-24-2013, 08:46 PM
In all fairness to Todd Huckabee or any guide out there, guiding is a hard business. You just can't please all the people all the time. You can't control the weather and you can't get every fisherman to catch fish all or most of the time. I try everything I can think of to get people to catch fish but some just can't get the feel of catching. I have one person that I just tell him to get his line in the water at a certain depth and I drag him thru the fish. Some just don't take instruction very well. They have their mind set as to how to catch Crappie and it is hard to get them to try something different that is working.
I love taking kids fishing with their Dad's or Mom's. I take the kids up front with me and let the parent enjoy fishing. I try to get the kids to catch fish but if they can't I will run 2 rods and when I catch a fish I let them crank it in and then will take it off for them and just let them bring them in. They really enjoy doing that.
Todd might be a line watcher and that is why you don't see his rod tip move. Some people just have an instinct for fishing.
I really enjoy taking seniors, vet's, and kids fishing. They always come home with a big smile, no matter how many fish you catch.
Minnowtime: Women just have a knack for fishing and most are excellant at it. My 12 year old granddaughter can out fish me most of the time. She never wants to quit fishing.
Vonna is always getting the big fish it seems at Crappie Camp. EB

clfarms1
11-24-2013, 08:47 PM
not to hijack the thread, the guide I went with fished the front of the boat, had a 2 foot longer rod and then said, there might only be one or two fish here and bam caaught the fish and we moved on. then the fish cleaning station power was out and handed us a bucket of crappie and said bye

hair jig
11-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Sometimes it cost to learn too you spent youre money if you are satisfied thats all that matters wish i was there with ya don't be a hater because the man can fish he spends countless hours on the lake while the rest of work and wish we had his problem!!!

genec
11-25-2013, 12:51 PM
A CRAPPIE fishermen that do not want a guide to fish will never be a good fishermen,that is where you learn by trying to copy him and asking him question.He could have told them that it was a lot of fish there but if he had not fish ,they would not have know they were there. You learn by someone doing it better than you. I can under stand that a 2 or 3 time a year fisherman would want to catch a bunch of fish but he will never be good.I was a good bass fishermen when I went fishing with a crappie guy and he caught 80 fish to my 7 ,very humbling, I continue to copy him and the next day I was doing fairly good,if you can except being torn up it will make you better. If I was to hire a guide I would want him to fish and would hope that the fish were NOT biting good so I could see him as he make changes, my mind wants to learn more , but as for anyone who hire a guide ,simply tell him what you want him to do. Also in any cases if guide did not fish ,not many fish would come in boat and he would not look like much of a guide.

EnonEye
11-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Hey if the client came away happy then the guide did his job correctly. Sounds like bjordan came away happy and schooled, maybe better for it next time. To me it's all in the attitude of the guide. I once fished with a guide that anchored in a spot, said we'd be lucky to get one keeper that day and never moved (walleye)and we didn't boat one keeper (but he didn't fish). Trust me he never sniffed my green again. Another guide I came away very pleased even though we caught only a few because he taught us how and why and where. He did fish. Since that 2nd guide trip I've been able to successfully catch fish only because of his lessons. Ya know a nice guy when ya meet one. The knucklheads can go somewhere else for their money regardless of how many fish are caught and regardless of if they fish or not.JMHO

Tommy Skarlis
11-26-2013, 03:03 PM
I have fished with Todd Huckabee and I can honestly say that I have only fished with a handful of people that taught me as much as he did in a half day of fishing. He is a gentleman and a true professional.

wilbur
11-26-2013, 03:27 PM
I never met the man, but have talked to him by phone,and watching his videos, I think he is right up there with Kent Driscoll, both are my idols.

bjordan61
11-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Tommy, interestingly, Todd and I talked about how you use planer boards while we were out last time. I need to give that a whirl one of these days...Congrats on your big win!

Donald@CrappieLogic
11-28-2013, 07:15 AM
when you go with someone like Todd and he his hammering the fish and your not its simple really first off he has prolly fished that same lake a zillion times and when he pulls up to that first stump or log,tree and gets thumped thats all he needs to know the rest of the day he has established a pattern so he could prolly be able to look at another stump and even tell you that is were you will get bit anyone can do it by paying attention to detail and time on the water Sorry you had a bad time with Todd but I would have taken that day as schooling and try to graduate at a later date:biggrin

bjordan61
11-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Donald, you got it all wrong, my man. I DID NOT have a bad time! It was a great time and I took it for exactly what you just pointed out...a learning experience, which was my whole point of going in the first place. You're exactly right...Todd knows that lake and every piece of brush and structure in it like the back of his hand. You put that together with his finely developed sense of touch and he's hard to keep up with.

Donald@CrappieLogic
11-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Donald, you got it all wrong, my man. I DID NOT have a bad time! It was a great time and I took it for exactly what you just pointed out...a learning experience, which was my whole point of going in the first place. You're exactly right...Todd knows that lake and every piece of brush and structure in it like the back of his hand. You put that together with his finely developed sense of touch and he's hard to keep up with.yes sir I did get it wrong should have read a little deeper sorry for that I would love to fish with Todd once he is a good crappie fisherman and I am sure you learned a bunch

Rees Guide
11-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Guides are hired for different reasons, I have been with some strictly to learn, sit beside me and teach me. Sometimes its to help figure out a pattern or location , sometimes its simply cheaper than having all your own gear.
Don't delete your account just hope some of the negative posters learned a lesson. It was your money and you seem to be happy, all that matters.
As far as guide fishing, 1 person in my boat I fish, 2 or more a stand behind them and help. You can learn plenty with someone looking over your shoulder.

splitshot
11-29-2013, 09:20 AM
bjordan61, thank you for posting and sharing your experience.

bjordan61
11-29-2013, 04:20 PM
You're most welcome, splitshot. I can't say that I expected the reaction from a few that I did, but I think the lesson to be learned here is to discuss thoroughly with your guide what you're after before you get out on the water. Ask questions and provide feedback. I think most guides want to give you a quality trip because their future business depends on it. I'm pretty sure none of them want to see bad reviews on a message board or forum when they thought the client was satisfied.

Special K
12-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the post bjordan61. I don't fully understand why people react the way they do... and I don't have the time or patience to try to figure it out anymore either. Nonetheless, I'm sure it was a great experience for you and one you will not soon forget. Sounds like you learned a lot and are satisfied that you got your monies worth.
The only complaint I have is: Where's the pictures???

Crappie Reaper
12-01-2013, 07:33 PM
A guides main job is to put his clients on fish, period! Now a good guide will teach as well and allow the clients to front fish. I don't blame a guide for fishing as well if it's cleared with the clients since it only puts more fish in the clients freezer.

A lot of the responses from some members are just down right ignorant. I know serveral people that have hire Todd and most have had excellent things to say about him. I can promise you one thing, he knows a lot more than given credit for. At least he's actually fishing instead of spider rigging which shouldn't qualify as fishing in my book.

Chatt Martin out of Kansas is a heck of a guide too and he tosses in free entertainment to boot.

Starfish
12-02-2013, 10:09 AM
I've fished with Todd many times and sat in on several of his seminars. But I've never felt that I wasted money or time spent with him. Each trip was an investment in making me a better crappie fisherman. Sure, he'll catch more fish on any given day than his clients. But why would you want to hire a guide that you could outfish?