Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portable heater in boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Portable heater in boat

I spider rig and was thinking about getting a portable heater to put in the boat this winter. I saw at Tractor Supply they had a Mr. Heater, a single head unit that attached to a propane tank, and a dual head unit that attached to a propane tank. My questions are (1) anybody have any good or bad experiences with a certain type (2) do you place it in front of you or behind you. This is kinda important so I know how big or small of one to get based on the layout of my boat and how we sit up front. Also, any suggestions on keeping them lit so the wind doesn't blow them out?

Post Thanks / Like

get the big buddy. it runs on the small bottles walmart has or you can buy a hose and hook it to a small bbq propane tank. if it tips very much it goes out for a good safety factor. the big buddy puts out so much more heat than it's smaller brother.

Post Thanks / Like

What olduchunter said. The buddy heaters have the safety and are more compact/portable unit. I would not want to drag a big tank around on the boat. I would be afraid of the Mr. Heater that screws into the propane tank would be more likely to fall over if the water became choppy. The buddy heaters last a long time on the smaller green tanks. I have used them up north in the cold part of winter and they will keep one person plenty warm enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I put my little buddy in front of my feet and it seems to keep me as warm as I can expect in winter. If you'll put something behind your feet like a blanket to divert the heat upward, it makes a HUGE difference. I have a deep hull, so I don't get too much wind issues.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the heater that goes on top of the propane tank the wind blew the flame in to the orfice and it was like a blow torch got it turned off before it done any damage. I now have one of the little black cat heater that uses the green bottles they are good hand warmers.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the info. Gives me some ideas on what to do.

Post Thanks / Like

I would probably put the heater upwind of you so you catch most of the heat. Probably doesnt make your decision any easier though unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

Get the big buddy heater instead of the one that uses the full size propane grill tank. The Big Buddy heater uses the small propane canisters, and most importantly they are a lot more stable than the Large propane tanks and lighter in weight and the Big Buddy heater has an automatic shut off in the event it gets knocked over, puts out a lot of heat and they were on sale at Cabelas web site Reg.$154. On sale for $99.
    YOU CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS...BUT YOU CAN BUY FISHING GEAR.....AND THAT'S KINDA THE SAME THING.....
    Unknown.

Post Thanks / Like

if you get a big one that use a 20 lb lp bottle go steal a milk crate. It works perfect bottle just fits in it and then it wont tip over

Post Thanks / Like

the big buddy still uses the small bottles you get from walmart and has places for 2 of them which will probably run nearly all day or you can still get the hose and use a bbq tank. I think the little buddy only has a place for one small tank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast